follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 05-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #1
fasteddy

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Smile Front negative caster affect on handling?

I had about 40k on my stock suspension. I just installed a new stock suspension out of a 2015 BRZ. I wanted to add some negative camber to the front to help mitigate the outer edge tire wear issues I have at the track. Other than that I am happy with the performance and balance of the stock suspension (so far).

The track I go to is Brainerd international raceway. The track has mostly right turns, which take a toll on the outer edge of my left front tire.

I slotted my front struts a little to get more negative camber. I ended up with -3 on each side.

I don't think I should have any issues on running -3 camber on the street. It should not affect tire wear. I know if I went any more than that I could end up with high speed directional stability issues.

Any comments on running this much camber on an otherwise stock suspension? I could easily back it off to -2-2.5.

Any thoughts on the sweet spot for negative front camber for a mostly street, occasional track car?

I am running Michelin pilot super sport tires.

How is this much negative camber going to affect the balance of the handling?

I am thinking this will increase front grip and make the rear a little looser?

If this is the case maybe I will end up needing a stiffer front anti sway bar to maintain the balance?

I won't make any changes until after my next track day, next Monday.

Thanks.

Pat
fasteddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:49 PM   #2
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
You'll get some inner edge wear with -3 camber on the street, but nothing TOO crazy, as long as your toe is set properly.

Stock suspension with something in the -2.75 to -3.5 range is pretty happy on track, depending on your experience and tire compound.

You'll probably want to get some more negative camber in the rear as well, although this isn't quite as inexpensive.

If you don't have an oil cooler already, I'd recommend one for track duty. Many options are available.

You're correct, it can make the rear break loose easier, since you have better contact patch in the front, but you also have to remember that camber doesn't affect the spring balance of the car, which stock, is biased toward understeer at terminal speeds (but can easily be upset, causing oversteer).
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #3
fasteddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
You'll get some inner edge wear with -3 camber on the street, but nothing TOO crazy, as long as your toe is set properly.

Stock suspension with something in the -2.75 to -3.5 range is pretty happy on track, depending on your experience and tire compound.

You'll probably want to get some more negative camber in the rear as well, although this isn't quite as inexpensive.

If you don't have an oil cooler already, I'd recommend one for track duty. Many options are available.

You're correct, it can make the rear break loose easier, since you have better contact patch in the front, but you also have to remember that camber doesn't affect the spring balance of the car, which stock, is biased toward understeer at terminal speeds (but can easily be upset, causing oversteer).

Thanks for the input Mike. Yes I do have an oil cooler, I bought it from you (CSG) with my Jackson racing supercharger.

I should be good to go with this setup, I will update this after my track day.

Is there any reason not to leave the front at -3 camber for the street?

Pat
Old 05-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #4
kiichiro
corolla specs/GTR looks

Drives: ooh oooh pretty tail lights
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
get some NT01, MPSS a waste of time
That was fun, thanks Hachi
kiichiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 01:02 PM   #5
fasteddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiichiro View Post
get some NT01, MPSS a waste of time
I will be upgrading tires in the not to distant future. MPSS are great for about 15-20 minutes, then they get greasy. I prefer to have a tire that can work in the rain if needed. I really don't want to get into bringing a second set of tires to the track. Still hoping for the unicorn tire that takes the heat, works in the rain and is not noisy.

Pat
Old 05-11-2015, 01:03 PM   #6
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
Thanks for the input Mike. Yes I do have an oil cooler, I bought it from you (CSG) with my Jackson racing supercharger.

I should be good to go with this setup, I will update this after my track day.

Is there any reason not to leave the front at -3 camber for the street?

Pat
Ah, sorry, I don't keep up with orders! (I'm not actually a CSG Employee)

The only reason NOT to do it is accelerated inner edge wear. With street tires, that are seeing the track once a month or so, it probably will not significantly affect your tire life, as most of the wear will be on the center to outer edges at the track.

Increase camber decreases static contact patch, resulting in slightly decreased braking performance (increased braking distance), but not significant enough to be an issue, particularly when paired with race pads for street use.

FWIW, my personal car is at -3.5 front/rear (I don't recommend this for a FRS/BRZ; my car is a S2000).

The stiffer the sidewall is on your tire, the less camber you'll want to run on the street, as it'll wear faster.

I'd recommend trying a stickier street tire for your mixed use, such as a Hankook RS3, or Bridgestone RE71R. Lower cost options include the Federal 595RSR (Soon to be RSRR), and GT Radial SX2.

The SX2 and RS3 are really popular in the 86CUP.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fasteddy (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 01:04 PM   #7
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasteddy View Post
I will be upgrading tires in the not to distant future. MPSS are great for about 15-20 minutes, then they get greasy. I prefer to have a tire that can work in the rain if needed. I really don't want to get into bringing a second set of tires to the track. Still hoping for the unicorn tire that takes the heat, works in the rain and is not noisy.

Pat
Stickier tires are also stickier in the rain. It's the lack of a tread pattern, that reduces/eliminates water channels, that increase the possibility of hydroplaning when you touch puddles. If there is no standing water, then stickier compounds will still grip better than harder compounds.

You'd be shocked at what a slick can do on a complete soaked surface with no standing water.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
fasteddy (05-11-2015), wparsons (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #8
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
I just got my alignment, -3.3 front, -2.7/2.8 rear (I asked for 3.2, 2.7...)

I'm sure to wear unevenly since this is an AutoX car, but we'll see if that works or not. I may back down, but figured I'd go in crazy.

The way I figure it, at worst the bill is just up a little for the fun with the car, but that's far less likely to cause me to grumble on the way home. Tires are consumables, and I'm not sure I get enough time on them to wear them out before they age out anyway... that said, it's still mostly race wear.

C
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cjd For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (05-11-2015)
Old 05-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #9
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjd View Post
I just got my alignment, -3.3 front, -2.7/2.8 rear (I asked for 3.2, 2.7...)

I'm sure to wear unevenly since this is an AutoX car, but we'll see if that works or not. I may back down, but figured I'd go in crazy.

The way I figure it, at worst the bill is just up a little for the fun with the car, but that's far less likely to cause me to grumble on the way home. Tires are consumables, and I'm not sure I get enough time on them to wear them out before they age out anyway... that said, it's still mostly race wear.

C
Check back and let us know how it goes!
Old 05-11-2015, 10:56 PM   #10
cjd

Drives: 2017 BRZ
Thanked 2,925 Times in 1,712 Posts
Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
Check back and let us know how it goes!
Of course! All I can say is, it's a completely different car after everything is set up, and set up properly! Really looking forward to pushing this setup.

And those still aren't 10k/12k springs, no way no how. Except that my rear dash-cam kept on tripping the g-sensor from the standard Chicago roads... hah. Not even potholes (which are pretty easy to miss now,) just the occasional sunken road around sewers, expansion joints, and the like.

Road trip this weekend, hopefully they pass the wife test. Then on to the races the weekend after.
cjd is offline   Reply With Quote