follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #57
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Should have picked a wife that can drive a manual. 😜

But seriously I think he got it backwards. It’s the young ones that can’t drive the manuals. Not the other way around. The young ones probably don’t even know what a Spitfire or X1/9 is. Hahaha
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #58
funwheeldrive

Drives: BANNED FOR TELLING THE TRUTH
Thanked 3,022 Times in 1,409 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I wish I had time to play boy racer like all the MT guys on this board that can't stand AT.

I love these threads though. I think I have a post in almost everyone on Nasioc and here over the last 14.5 years of Subie AT ownership.
So you have time to post in every automatic thread but not to drive a MT car?

I mostly use my FRS for commuting to work and dropping the kid off at Grandma's...nothing special. If anything it saves me time to own a manual since it's faster than the automatic version.
The Following User Says Thank You to funwheeldrive For This Useful Post:
Alltezza (10-24-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 05:29 PM   #59
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
The young ones probably don’t even know what a Spitfire or X1/9 is. Hahaha
When I went back to school in my late 30s, I was in classes with kids in their 20s. Before class one day we were sitting around talking, and I mentioned driving my dad's MGB. Nobody in the room knew what an MGB was. Not a single person.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
winstonscifi (10-26-2017)
Old 10-25-2017, 06:46 PM   #60
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwheeldrive View Post
So you have time to post in every automatic thread but not to drive a MT car?

I mostly use my FRS for commuting to work and dropping the kid off at Grandma's...nothing special. If anything it saves me time to own a manual since it's faster than the automatic version.
Of course it's much easier to sit on the couch and post then to go to a track or autox or some local twisties. With this car the AT is just more convenient with almost the same amount of fun. I wish I could get this AT into my WRX, but still 14 years on that 4EAT and its still rocking at 120K of spirited driving, I can't complain.

And that second faster will not save you that much time, one red light and its even.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:01 PM   #61
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
When I went back to school in my late 30s, I was in classes with kids in their 20s. Before class one day we were sitting around talking, and I mentioned driving my dad's MGB. Nobody in the room knew what an MGB was. Not a single person.

My wife (35) saw a picture of an MGB hatch and said, oh what is that I like that. I said, that’s an MGB. She had no clue what it was. I said, you’ve never heard of MG. Nope. I could see her not knowing the difference between an various MG models but was surprised she didn’t at least recognize the brand. So now she has an MGB hatch on her wish list. She loves MT btw. ��

Last edited by ermax; 01-31-2018 at 12:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 12:44 PM   #62
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,991 Times in 2,202 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Nobody in the room knew what an MGB was. Not a single person.
Tell them it's Morris Garage monkey. They'll understand that.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:52 PM   #63
fika84

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Garage
Too bad I can't get those last 2 minutes of my life back.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:58 PM   #64
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcj View Post
Tell them it's Morris Garage monkey. They'll understand that.
But I don't understand that. What is a Morris Garage monkey?

That reminds me, a couple of weeks ago I was listening to the radio while in the shower and heard Rush Limbaugh talking about Booker T. and the MG's. He said that MG stood for "Morgan's Garage" because one of the band members had a mechanic friend named Morgan.

Don't facepalm in the shower. You get soap in your eyes.
The Following User Says Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-26-2017, 10:54 PM   #65
BaatLuk

Drives: Evo X
No need to make a video AND link it to this site to explain why you bought an AT BRZ. It's your car, your money!

MT vs AT discussion is always entertaining. Here in America, driving MT is a special skill but overseas especially in developing countries, it's a necessity because 90% of vehicles come with MT including taxis and buses. Over there, owning an AT is a status symbol so when someone buys a "sports car" like a BRZ, they naturally go for AT. I mean why have the poor person transmission? Same with bicycles. Here it's a leisure activity for (relatively) rich people with free time. In developing countries, people ride bikes because they can't afford a car or even a bus ticket. Fascinating world!

Back to the topic of AT BRZ, I'd be curious to drive one, I am sure it's still a great car especially for normal street driving.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #66
ermax

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
Over there, owning an AT is a status symbol so when someone buys a "sports car" like a BRZ, they naturally go for AT. I mean why have the poor person transmission?
But even in the states the salesmen are like, "Why do you want to manual, trying to save money?" with this pretentious attitude. Hey buddy, I am not the one selling cars for a living, don't give me this pretentious attitude. Hahaha
Old 10-27-2017, 10:46 AM   #67
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaatLuk View Post
No need to make a video AND link it to this site to explain why you bought an AT BRZ. It's your car, your money!

MT vs AT discussion is always entertaining. Here in America, driving MT is a special skill but overseas especially in developing countries, it's a necessity because 90% of vehicles come with MT including taxis and buses. Over there, owning an AT is a status symbol so when someone buys a "sports car" like a BRZ, they naturally go for AT. I mean why have the poor person transmission? Same with bicycles. Here it's a leisure activity for (relatively) rich people with free time. In developing countries, people ride bikes because they can't afford a car or even a bus ticket. Fascinating world!

Back to the topic of AT BRZ, I'd be curious to drive one, I am sure it's still a great car especially for normal street driving.
AT is okay, it really feels just like every other car, but includes sharper steering and better seating position. Fairly generic I'd say and if a commuter, you may even forget what car you're driving because of how it behaves.

This is comparing the 2017 MT to AT, and those updates on the MT's probably further the difference in feeling currently.
Old 10-27-2017, 06:46 PM   #68
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
AT is okay, it really feels just like every other car, but includes sharper steering and better seating position. Fairly generic I'd say and if a commuter, you may even forget what car you're driving because of how it behaves.

This is comparing the 2017 MT to AT, and those updates on the MT's probably further the difference in feeling currently.
From what I read the consensus was 17 and 16 MT feel pretty much the same. Must be some good butt dyno going on. I am pretty sure the 17 guys will chime in and say its better, but I wonder
Old 10-27-2017, 07:10 PM   #69
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I have a 16 MT and have driven a couple 17 MT's and the 17's dig out of tight turns better. I assume it's the FD rather than the extra 5hp, but it can be felt when both are driven on the same course back-to-back.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:31 AM   #70
Jaden
Road-hole

Drives: 2013 Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
I love these threads...

Ever since paddle shift autos have come on the scene there's really no reason to have a manual. A manual will never shift as quickly as an auto. The fastest cars are auto. That whole "well the stock auto is slower than the manual" thing doesn't really apply because if you aren't modding this car then there's really no point in caring which it is.

The auto trans can handle more power without modding or replacing it. How much does it cost to upgrade the clutch?

It seems that the people who argue about mt superiority are really just afraid that they'll disappear...lol There's a good reason for that. They are inferior, they are inferior in a straight line and they are inferior in other driving as well.

Granted the true super cars that are autos have manual gears with dual clutched or sequential dog gears that don't require a clutch to shift, but they are still autos in that there isn't an extra peddle, which is really what you're talking about.

The only downside to our autos is no launch control and needing to upgrade the torque converter to be able to launch decently.

Also, you don't have to worry about missing a gear...

Jaden

p.s. as far as the op is concerned, I agree with many, it's a pretty silly reason to get an auto if you really want a manual.

Closed Thread

Tags
automatic, why i bought