follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 01-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Drives: Subaru Libird
Thanked 2,718 Times in 1,079 Posts
Mentioned: 110 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
BOYCOTT Scion's FIRST 86 Sign-Up List

"First 86" is a crafty marketing scheme. Scion did not give us the FR-S price at NAIAS; instead they announced the First 86 sign-up list. They'll use the list as sample data to gauge how many people are seriously ready to buy. The more sign-ups they get, the more data they'll have to justify a higher set "pure price."

Unless you are seriously aching to buy this car right now with cash or loan ready, please DO NOT sign up for this list. If you want to casually sign-up just to see if you win and plan to make your final decision later, DON'T SIGN UP IN THE FIRST PLACE. If hundreds of us casually sign up not truly serious about buying, we will skew the data and potentially drive the price up a few hundred or thousand more than what true demand should reflect.

This thread is not literally a "boycott." I am posting an alert to keep the First 86 data honest. Just so everyone is aware and on the same page. We may even drive the price down for the good of our community by not signing up. If you have differing opinions, please feel free to discuss.

If you're not familiar with First 86, here's some background:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalopnik
Scion just announced at the Detroit Auto Show they'd be allowing customers to sign up for a chance to be one of the original 86 buyers.
Just head over to ************.com on January 12th, 2012 at 12:00 pm (multiply those numbers and you get 86) to register. According to Scion VP Jack Hollis, there's no advantage to being the first to register as the drawing will be random.
Hollis also promised special gifts and deliveries for owners. This deal only applies to people within the United States.
Source: http://jalopnik.com/5874545/how-to-b...on-fr+s-owners

Last edited by switchlanez; 01-09-2012 at 07:02 PM.
switchlanez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:00 PM   #2
Neutral_Eyes
Softparker

Drives: 2002 Mazda Miata
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
That email kinda made it seem like they were giving them away. Who the hell wants to win a chance to buy something?

"Congratulations! You're now $2X,XXX in debt! Hope you can afford insurance too! Enjoy your schwag!"
Neutral_Eyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
tripjammer

Drives: WRB BRZ limited 6MT
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
It's only 86 people out of like 20k. But they should at least give those 86 people special discount pricing!
tripjammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
Dunkindoanuts

Drives: 99 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post
That email kinda made it seem like they were giving them away. Who the hell wants to win a chance to buy something?

"Congratulations! You're now $2X,XXX in debt! Hope you can afford insurance too! Enjoy your schwag!"

its more like a pre-order list... has any other car company done something like this? if they haven't its a smart move by scion, release 86 of them early... find out a rough demand in 8 hrs 6 min
Dunkindoanuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:08 PM   #5
Longhorn248
Hook 'em

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
In a show of solidarity (and the fact that I'm getting a BRZ instead) I will not sign up for this Scion promotion!
Longhorn248 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:14 PM   #6
2fast4you

Drives: 2006 Scion tC RS 2.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by tripjammer View Post
It's only 86 people out of like 20k. But they should at least give those 86 people special discount pricing!
I don't know about the price break (that would be nice!), but there will be some special items to signify you are the 86 first owners. And I wouldn't worry about pricing, one way or the other it will be released before the end of the weekend whether by Scion or the "86".

And yeah, this is just a gauge to see how many the initial run is going to be and to work out logistics.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:15 PM   #7
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunkindoanuts View Post

its more like a pre-order list... has any other car company done something like this? if they haven't its a smart move by scion, release 86 of them early... find out a rough demand in 8 hrs 6 min
So the people who are not selected will be put on a pre-order list guaranteeing them the 87th, 88th, 89th,... nth car? I highly doubt it. They'll get jack squat!

Edit: N/m I see what you're saying. It's a pre-order list only for the first 86 people.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #8
slizoth

Drives: 2013 WRB Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Agreed on the boycott, I want to keep that price as low as possible, I hope only 50 people sign up for it.
slizoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:16 PM   #9
amilleri

Drives: 2010 Scion xD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutral_Eyes View Post

Well at first look I thought it was to win one as well. It should be a win one! I can't afford the car otherwise atm, making a car payment right now and once that is paid off I have to pay a few bills then sign up for the down payment. I probably won't have one till 2013 sadly
amilleri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:17 PM   #10
Spaceywilly
ZC6A2B82KC7J

Drives: 2002 WRX
Quote:
If I am one of the 86, what are my next steps?

Scion will contact you within 24 hours of your request and let you know if you have been selected as one of the 86.

You will receive a date stamped email with a confirmation number, confirmation of your color and transmission request, and confirmation of your selected dealer.

Within 96 hours of the confirmation email, take your email with the confirmation number to your selected dealer. Sign the required vehicle request and deposit agreement with the dealer and place your $500 deposit.

Once your deposit is received and you have signed the agreement, you have officially reserved your FR-S.

Watch your email inbox for status updates on the delivery of your FR-S.
Your FR-S is scheduled to arrive prior to the general public on-sale date. Once your FR-S arrives, your dealer will contact you and you will follow the normal process to purchase the vehicle from your selected dealer.

We encourage you to arrange financing before the arrival of your FR-S, or you may do so with the dealer you selected.
Who in their right mind would sign up for this? Congratulations, you have to pay us $25,000 RIGHT NOW to get your car 3 weeks before the rest of the world! Oh yeah you also get a bag with some stickers! (I will probably sign up anyways)
Spaceywilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #11
statuskuo

Drives: Honda Civic Coupe EX (2000)
weird...never heard of anything like this before...
statuskuo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #12
carbonBLUE
Reverse Burnouts

Drives: 2013 Argento FRS
Thanked 1,257 Times in 592 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceywilly View Post
Who in their right mind would sign up for this? Congratulations, you have to pay us $25,000 RIGHT NOW to get your car 3 weeks before the rest of the world! Oh yeah you also get a bag with some stickers!

read more of the site says somewhere in there "500 dollar deposit, your car will arrive and you will be able to test drive it like a normal purchase before you finalize financing"

edit: and the deposit is refundable

if you dont like the car you can get your refund and drop out if it on the spot

2000 Carbon Blue Toyota Celica GTS 152000 miles
(wont forget you)
2013 Argento Scion FR-S
2011 Infiniti G37x
carbonBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:20 PM   #13
switchlanez
Glorious BRZ Master Race

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4you View Post
And I wouldn't worry about pricing, one way or the other it will be released before the end of the weekend whether by Scion or the "86".
How much you wanna bet those first 86 people won't know the price til they've been selected? I agree the price is basically set, but Scion will use this list as one last measure to fine-tune or "fudge" the price up or down.
Old 01-09-2012, 07:21 PM   #14
Dunkindoanuts

Drives: 99 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by switchlanez View Post
So the people who are not selected will be put on a pre-order list guaranteeing them the 87th, 88th, 89th,... nth car? I highly doubt it. They'll get jack squat!

Edit: N/m I see what you're saying. It's a pre-order list only for the first 86 people.
esentially its a "pre-order" list for them to see, people signing up if they follow the ENTIRE email, will have their $$$ ready for it.

say 30k people in the USA sign up, that hypothetically means 30k people are ready with $$ to buy it, even if only 86 get it......

Biggest Teases ever... "GET READY FOR AN EXCITING ANNOUNCEMENT"

I mean toyota is probably going to get AT Least 500 people to sign up for this.

If the first 86 people are like " f this 27k price, im out!!!! >:O" im sure whoever the heck were #'s 87-200 they'd find willing buyers at a 27k price Lol...
Dunkindoanuts is offline   Reply With Quote