follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #715
msaikhan

Drives: frs
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichima View Post
so my cars going back to the initial dealership that screwed my car after the recall. The second dealership that diagnosed my vehicle states that my passenger side heads are bad. Stating they would fix it under TSB 02-151-14R. "If you receive a customer concern of a tapping sound from the B2 cylinder head, confirm it is isolated
to the B2 valve train area before proceeding with any repairs. Once verified, order and replace the
intake and exhaust camshafts, the 4 intake valves, 4 exhaust valves, all 8 rockers and all 8 pivots.
Refer to the service procedures outlined in the applicable Service Manual for installation."
That dealership didn't process any repairs on my car because when dropping my oil pan, they noticed an excessive amount of RTV inside the oil pan and pickup screen. They called me right away and stated that when the initial dealership replaced my headgaskets, they used too much sealant and now i'm looking at a case of oil starvation.
Now today, my car is being towed back to the initial dealership who worked on my vehicle for repairs. What should i expect? and what should i fight for in terms of damage done to my vehicle.
You can expect a new short block if excessive RTV is found inside oil pan. AND since the 2nd dealership proved this, 1st dealership better be replacing your short block and timing cover etc...

Also excessive RTV can be from the Recall work, not ONLY headgaskets work. So either way, i would speak to the manager and have them rebuild your engine with new short block.
msaikhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:29 AM   #716
Ichima

Drives: 13' Lightning Red Brz
Quote:
Originally Posted by ka-t_240 View Post
If the second dealership did that repair, they would have had to pull your motor pull the cover, etc like done in the vavle spring recall. Then remove your head(s) for a read rebuild. It is unlikely they did this with out telling you. Especially if they have concerns with the oil starvation,
I think I may be wording myself incorrectly. My mind is working at a million miles a minute with all this on my mind. The second dealership did not repair my vehicle in any ways after seeing the sealant in the oil pan and oil pickup screen. They stopped everything after seeing that. The reason why they were going to start repairs on my vehicle is because a Technician from Subaru of New England extended my warranty on the car to service it under TSB 02-151-14R. This TSB did not get done due to the fact they found the RTV in my oil pan.

All repairs have been done at the first dealership. Specifically headgasket repairs and valve spring repairs.

My main question is, since they have diagnosed this issue now due to oil starvation should it get fixed?
Ichima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:34 AM   #717
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
I think I may be wording myself incorrectly. My mind is working at a million miles a minute with all this on my mind. The second dealership did not repair my vehicle in any ways after seeing the sealant in the oil pan and oil pickup screen. They stopped everything after seeing that. The reason why they were going to start repairs on my vehicle is because a Technician from Subaru of New England extended my warranty on the car to service it under TSB 02-151-14R. This TSB did not get done due to the fact they found the RTV in my oil pan.

All repairs have been done at the first dealership. Specifically headgasket repairs and valve spring repairs.

My main question is, since they have diagnosed this issue now due to oil starvation should it get fixed?
As long as you have SoNE behind you on this, the 1st dealership should repair your car. To what extent, I am not sure. But sounds like SoNE has approve the TSB to be completed, which would for sure cover the R&R of engine/timing covers/head rebuild. The oil starvation issues should be repaired by the first place.

If you have a contact you have been working with at SoNE, I would suggest reaching out to them to confirm that they are going to assist you with getting the TSB work and full repair of the engine due to oil starvation repaired at Dealership 1 at no cost.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 10:41 AM   #718
Ichima

Quote:
As long as you have SoNE behind you on this, the 1st dealership should repair your car. To what extent, I am not sure. But sounds like SoNE has approve the TSB to be completed, which would for sure cover the R&R of engine/timing covers/head rebuild. The oil starvation issues should be repaired by the first place.

If you have a contact you have been working with at SoNE, I would suggest reaching out to them to confirm that they are going to assist you with getting the TSB work and full repair of the engine due to oil starvation repaired at Dealership 1 at no cost.
Thank you for the information, I'm not very familiar with dealer work or engine work in general. I'm just trying to retain as much information as possible and I also am trying to understand this a bit more.
Old 04-11-2019, 11:34 AM   #719
Ichima

Quote:
Thank you for the information, I'm not very familiar with dealer work or engine work in general. I'm just trying to retain as much information as possible and I also am trying to understand this a bit more.
Just got the service breakdown from dealership #2. He states "Dropped the oil pan per subaru rep, found a lot of bearing material in oil and oil pan. Pick up tube screen was full of old sealant and other materials."
Old 04-11-2019, 12:06 PM   #720
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Just got the service breakdown from dealership #2. He states "Dropped the oil pan per subaru rep, found a lot of bearing material in oil and oil pan. Pick up tube screen was full of old sealant and other materials."
It's pretty obvious dealer #1 that did the recall and head gasket "repair" screwed up. You had a subaru rep and another dealer document this fact. I cant see why dealer #1 wouldn't be getting this fixed for you without much hassle. It may come down to going up the chain with subaru though to get them to do anything at the dealer level. All depends on how its handled by the service manager. They've already given you quite a bit of push back and a catastrophic engine failure so.... buckle up.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 12:55 PM   #721
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post
It's pretty obvious dealer #1 that did the recall and head gasket "repair" screwed up. You had a subaru rep and another dealer document this fact. I cant see why dealer #1 wouldn't be getting this fixed for you without much hassle. It may come down to going up the chain with subaru though to get them to do anything at the dealer level. All depends on how its handled by the service manager. They've already given you quite a bit of push back and a catastrophic engine failure so.... buckle up.
I think I've been to the point when I call SOA they already have my information pulled and multiple reps there already know my entire situation. I try not to be the annoying consumer, but in this case I was calling and documenting every step a long the way with them to make sure no information was lost in between. I hope to get less pushback now with the information I have, but with this dealership I highly doubt that. Especially when the master tech there tells me that when servicing my headgaskets and valve springs, they do not remove my heads or valves. So anything related wouldn't be their issue.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (04-11-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #722
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,920 Times in 16,467 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
I would suggest you leave your car with dealer #1, with instructions that you want your car fixed within 30 days and returned to you with a one year warranty. Or, put it in writing why they aren't willing to do that.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 01:33 PM   #723
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by humfrz View Post
I would suggest you leave your car with dealer #1, with instructions that you want your car fixed within 30 days and returned to you with a one year warranty. Or, put it in writing why they aren't willing to do that.

humfrz
I never knew that I could request this from a dealership, if they do put in writing otherwise, would they have much push back? Since they pretty much are now put reliable for the damage that has already been done?
Old 04-11-2019, 02:02 PM   #724
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,920 Times in 16,467 Posts
Mentioned: 709 Post(s)
Quote:
I never knew that I could request this from a dealership, if they do put in writing otherwise, would they have much push back? Since they pretty much are now put reliable for the damage that has already been done?
Oh, you could give it a try. If they ignore you, send a letter to their next higher.

humfrz
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:06 PM   #725
ka-t_240

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Your state may have a law that mandates vehicle repair warranties as well.
ka-t_240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #726
Ichima

Quote:
Your state may have a law that mandates vehicle repair warranties as well.
I live in CT, i do notice that after every service breakdown I receive it states 1 year unlimited mile warranty on parts and 90-day/3000mil for labor work done.
Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 PM   #727
Turfstuff

Drives: FRS, Miata,Jeep, K5Blazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Of course they hid the pickup screen. If I were you I wouldn’t rebuild the bottom end but simply replace the whole short block. When I did mine I got the short block for 1800. Rebuild gasket kit for 240. I also replaced my OCV screens and DI seals which was $20 or so. I went through 2.5 tubes of TB1217H at $20 each. 2 would probably do the job but I spread the work over a few days so I threw out an opened tube and got a fresh one. You also need oil and coolant. I doubt you could rebuild the bottom end for much less than that.

I’d put up more of a fight before throwing your own money at it.
So far Toyota corporate is looking at it, but not sounding hopeful. I am just examining options. Problem is that this is my daily driver while my Miata is undergoing an engine swap. So I am trying to keep costs down. Used engine $4,000, short block $2000 but a rebuild kit maybe $1500 and then build eventually rebuild with boost in mind. Thanks for the info.
Turfstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 09:49 PM   #728
Ichima

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turfstuff View Post
So far Toyota corporate is looking at it, but not sounding hopeful. I am just examining options. Problem is that this is my daily driver while my Miata is undergoing an engine swap. So I am trying to keep costs down. Used engine $4,000, short block $2000 but a rebuild kit maybe $1500 and then build eventually rebuild with boost in mind. Thanks for the info.
LeeC on facebook is sellig a 2018 motor with 51 miles for 3k
The Following User Says Thank You to Ichima For This Useful Post:
gravitylover (04-11-2019)

Tags
brz, failure, frs, i cant even, j02, recall, so much glue