follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 11-05-2020, 06:30 AM   #1
kkronja

Drives: gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Steering column issues

Hello all,
this is my first post here, but I definitely need some help....

I have crashed my 2013 GT86, and while the damage didnt seem so excessive(I have changed the suspension strut, lower suspension arm and wheel hub to make my wheels aligned) I still had a pertaining problem.....my steering wheel was not aligned, it was about 30deg off center and had excessive play....my powersteering refused to work too...

I went to Toyota to put the steering wheel back in center and to recalibrate the sensors so to make it work again(their idea), and today they have called me that during their work (turning the steering) they heard a loud snap/bang, and that now steering wheel is not connected to the steering rack at all!!

their proposed solution is to change the entire PowerSteering column part no.SU003-00867(which is probably the most expensive option) and they say that the steering rack and steering shaft are in perfect working order....

Can anybody give me some insight into this problem, because as far as I understand there is a single and pretty solid shaft inside the steering column, (with rack and pinion "in the middle" that is connecting it to the PowerSteering motor) and I have difficulty to believe that the shaft is broken in half after my accident that didnt do any damage to the rack or steering shaft assembly SU003-00838.

Any info will be appreciated greatly!
kkronja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2020, 07:02 AM   #2
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
If you had to replace the suspension strut, lower suspension arm and wheel hub and the steering was still off as much as 30 degrees there is indeed a strong probability that something in the column could give. I also would think that the shaft would be the last thing to go but stranger things have happened! There also could be an inherent weak spot where the motor drives the shaft. Be plenty strong normally but may not take a hit well especially if your steering wheel was that far off center.

You can see the components here:

https://demos.starbase7.net/t3Portal/

Last edited by Tcoat; 11-05-2020 at 07:14 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tcoat For This Useful Post:
DarkPira7e (11-05-2020)
Old 11-05-2020, 02:19 PM   #3
kkronja

many thanks for the quick reply, and for that repair manual link .....I am kinda sorry that I don't have car here so I can try to do it myself...I've found an used steering column, it should arrive next week, and hope it fixes my troubles.....cheers!
The Following User Says Thank You to kkronja For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (11-05-2020)
Old 11-18-2020, 04:39 AM   #4
kkronja

....well it is clearly broken....

...I can't believe that all the parts downstream survived, steering rack seems to work fine, and I didn't even have to change rack ends (yet to be honest I think I do feel a bit of play in the steering intermediate shaft U-joints)....anyway I guess this can be a safety issue, and is to be controlled for cracks after any crash, because it wouldn't be nice if this breaks during driving....
Attached Images