follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 04-04-2016, 09:39 AM   #29
unplugged
Master Member

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
^^ One thing in that article bugs me. It says new tires always go on the rear. I've always done exactly the opposite, if I'm only replacing two they go on the front.
I always put new tires on the rear. If I get a flat in the rear, I move my front tires to the back and put the spare up front. It takes longer, but if you understand what happens to the rear tires around a corner, you'll want to have good tires there to come around a corner safely. Since your front can be corrected using the steering wheel, always keep your worn tires or spare up front.
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 09:47 AM   #30
unplugged
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToySub1946 View Post
from unplugged: "Now at 628 miles, cruising around 70-75mph (yes within speed limits) my car will literally shift left or right and it doesn't matter which lance since I know the road crown can give a slight pull."

I have a 2015 FRS bought new. I felt the same sensation when my car was new. It was an odd sensation surely. It was not as though the car was wandering, it was as though the entire car was shifting, just slightly, to the left or right in my lane (and constant at freeway speeds). Over a period of miles (can't recall how many...but I'd guess well over 1000 miles) this went away. I believe it was because the tires were new, possibly those little nipples on the surface of the tire left from the molding process. Eventually those nipples wear away...or simply that the tires broke themselves in. (My car came with the Michelin tires.)

>>So I'd say, put more miles on the car, and the problem will heal itself.<<

My advise: Give the car plenty of time to break itself in, and you getting used to what to expect from the car. Don't monkey with more alignment advise, changing tires or suspension pieces right now. Give it time and many more miles first.

As for this: "Around a slight right bend on the highway, the car literally went half way into another lane." I have no answer, as I was not in the car with you. You might want to dismiss this as a fluke, if it never seems to happen again. Possibly a huge gust of wind as you rounded a curve ?

Edit:I see now you've got a C5 Vette, so you quite possibly are already aware of things I've stated below...which may be similar to BRZ

Since this model car is lower to the ground than most other cars, we feel sensations we would not feel if the car were raised off the ground more. You'll also note: Can't tell exactly where the front of the car is when attempting to park up to a parking stop (cement strip). You also won't get the advance viewing notice of holes (potholes) in a road's surface you'd get in other cars. You'll have to be very careful entering or exiting into or out of a business entrance from a highway. Can't easily see just where the curb ends and entrance begins...you're too low to see these things. These are some of the tradeoffs of a car which can handle corners better than most other cars.
I'm very familiar with rear wheel drive cars. And having had a higher HP/tq car too which sits lower than my BRZ, it still behaves very well on highway at those speeds.

I left my print out at the dealer so I'm going back this week. It looks like the toe in the rear is fighting between left and right. When applying throttle, it's more noticeable than without. Although it could also be the tires.

I did drive it again at night without the heavy gusts of wind, and it wasn't as bad as during the day. So that definitely played a part in my experience.

I'll follow up later this week with more updates.
unplugged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 10:58 AM   #31
ToySub1946

Drives: 15FRS, 05MustangGT, 85Toyota truck
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Reading what we've both written this morning I realize I did not describe properly the sensation I felt when my car was new.

>What I felt, in my car when it was new...Try this. Sit in a chair,(actually toilet is best here...LOL) rock your upper torso to the left and to the right, moving it only slightly left and right, but constantly continuing the motion. That's what I felt with the new car/new tires, at freeway speeds. < Yet I've never felt this sensation before in any car I've driven or owned, and I've owned lots of cars.

Though different from what you describe, I did not notice any difference with throttle application or on deceleration. And this was on asphalt, what we have mostly around where I live.

Certainly I've noticed this car, with these tires, loves to stick in the grooves of concrete which has grooves designed to keep tires from hydroplaning. But that's normal for many tires. And these surfaces are not everywhere on concrete fortunately.

With about a thousand miles on my car, I took an 8000 mile cross country and back trip. I was very happy with this car as a freeway cruiser. Additionally, during that trip, I briefly, very briefly drove my car wide open. I was very surprised at how buttoned down it felt at that speed. During that trip I also drove the car in high winds, and it handled them very well, though now with over 26,000 miles on the car, not so well in winds.

I've never been happy with the lack of on center feel of the steering at freeway speeds. I think this car needs more caster in it's steering. The steering also lacks tactile feel of what the wheels are doing. Where the steering really does have that feel is on winding back roads, asphalt and dirt. Fortunately we have tons of those roads around here...and those are conditions in which this car totally rocks.

Last edited by ToySub1946; 04-04-2016 at 11:28 AM.
ToySub1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2016, 11:07 AM   #32
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Something is screwed up in the alignment IMO. Either that or something is loose in your suspension.

Doubt it has anything to do with tires, when the car has less than 1,000 miles on it.

Why was the alignment messed up from the factory? Any explanation / story there?
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:14 PM   #33
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Surprised no one has said this yet, but have you checked your tire pressures? If they aren't even it can cause handling issues that seem alignment based.
Old 04-07-2016, 01:03 PM   #34
yefoo

Drives: 2016 BRZ CWP
I have felt that "shifting" sensation also but it was after experiencing one of my rear tires exploded going 80mph on the freeway. After getting a replacement tire I felt every shift the car was making at highway speeds because I was traumatized and paid more attention to it. From what others are saying it seems the shifting feel is a character of the car. Suddenly pulling into another lane while cornering, however, doesn't seem normal.
yefoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:46 PM   #35
Norville Rogers
Banned

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keenercarguy View Post
Surprised no one has said this yet, but have you checked your tire pressures? If they aren't even it can cause handling issues that seem alignment based.
Totally agree. First thing to check especially with bikes.

Although I do get caught out every so often myself
Norville Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 04:27 PM   #36
BlueSky

Drives: 2015 Aozora BRZ
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerwolf View Post

Why was the alignment messed up from the factory? Any explanation / story there?

My car had an alignment done as part as the PDI?
I was told that they get "shook up" in shipping and that they align every car that comes in the dealership?
Maybe my dealership just went above and beyond though...
BlueSky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 06:31 PM   #37
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSky View Post
I was told that they get "shook up" in shipping and that they align every car that comes in the dealership?
What?
They get "shook up" from a boat and truck ride?
Should we be getting daily alignments from driving?
If the dealer told you that they are bullshiting you for some weird unknown reason.
Drakiv (04-11-2016), humfrz (04-12-2016), strat61caster (04-12-2016), Summerwolf (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 06:44 PM   #38
PandaSPUR
PandaPandaPandaPandaPanda

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited CWP
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
What?
They get "shook up" from a boat and truck ride?
Should we be getting daily alignments from driving?
If the dealer told you that they are bullshiting you for some weird unknown reason.
Maybe the boat hit an iceberg
PandaSPUR is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PandaSPUR For This Useful Post:
Drakiv (04-11-2016), Tcoat (04-11-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:14 PM   #39
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandaSPUR View Post
Maybe the boat hit an iceberg
Name:  Titanic.jpg
Views: 596
Size:  7.9 KB

Hey Captain...........better make sure those cars get an alignment when they unload...........
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to White64Goat For This Useful Post:
covance (04-12-2016), PandaSPUR (04-12-2016), Tcoat (04-12-2016)
Old 04-11-2016, 11:16 PM   #40
White64Goat

Drives: 13 BRZ CBS LTD MT, 02 WRX
Thanked 1,111 Times in 627 Posts
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Are the tires on there bigger than the stock ones? I've had cars with bigger tires installed over stock size and they sometimes tend to wallow in the ruts in the road more than a stock size and make it steer goofy.
White64Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 11:59 PM   #41
Summerwolf
Panda Trueno

Drives: No twin now.
Thanked 2,407 Times in 1,332 Posts
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Sounds like something happened to that car. Sorry man, but that is some really weird bs.
Summerwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Summerwolf For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-12-2016)
Old 04-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #42
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,795 Times in 16,418 Posts
Mentioned: 707 Post(s)
Quote:
Could be ...... maybe your car had a rough landing .......

humfrz
Attached Images

humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
Cole (04-12-2016), jcw99 (04-12-2016), Tcoat (04-12-2016)