follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > Regional Forums > Mid-Atlantic

Mid-Atlantic DC, DE, MD, VA, WV

User Tag List

Old 02-20-2017, 12:07 PM   #113
mdm
not a twin owner

Drives: 2016 Veloster Turbo DCT
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCFRS View Post
Yea they did. There is also a boost button which you can use 1 to 2 times per race which they let us use also. The track was pretty empty when we went. The one guy asked me about my helmet and i was talking to him about autocross. So, they asked if I wanted to use the paddle shifters. I think if you know what you are doing and they can see that you can ask and they will let you.

I'll definitely go there. At this point I am racing in Autobahn Manassas league, maybe I'll switch to Dulles once they start leagues. In the future, Autobahn may also run a multi-site league: Manassas, Dulles, Jessup (2 tracks), maybe White Marsh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCFRS View Post
Ive been wanting to do the dominion karts. Looks like a lot of fun.
It is. The karts feel much more brutal, there is more vibration and more grip than on Autobahn tracks, meaning more force needed on the steering wheel. After 8 races I have a blister on my hand despite using gloves, never happened at Autobahn tracks, and once I did 12 races in one day in Jessup, without gloves.

I went to Dominion last year once, and now yesterday. The track layout is identical, but they put the barrriers closer to the track so it's more challenging, corner cutting made it too easy last year. Also, there will be an alternate longer layout for Superkarts only.

The bariers are not permanent, just big red plastic barriers standing there and tires, so if you clip the barrier, tires and barriers fly around and the race must be yellow-flagged until they fix it. I once clipped a plastic barrier at high speed, it flew up and hit me on the shoulder. A chunk of plastic got lodged in my kart's chassis and rubbed against the track. Which I did not notice, so I just went on just wondering where this smell of burning plastic is coming from. Until they sent me to the pits. I think you can see it's a very different experience from Autobahn.

They now have a timing system (finally!), but it's sort of half-functional. The transponders are on superkarts only, and they do not register your name, and they don't upload the results online - though the latter is supposed to change soon. They also have no printouts, which I would be fine with (huge waste of paper), but only if I could check my races later online.

At this point the only thing you can do is remember your kart number and immediately after race check the times on their computer.

In general, it still feels a bit semi-amateurish and underfunded. They have only like 6 superkarts (plus about 6 slow karts) while IMO the track is big enough to accomodate maybe 10-15 karts for more interesting races. They had to close earlier than planned, because they did not have very many racers on Sunday, and turning on track lights would cost them too much.

I wish them (and myself) that they are successful, I hope people will get interested and start coming and generate sufficient revenue for them to continue. But I am worried that because of their intermittent schedule (they cannot hold karting sessions when the oval track is in use) and fairly large distance from major markets (Richmond and especially DC) they may fail.
mdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:53 AM   #114
alxtheoreo

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Yo - I plan to hit up Autobahn Speedway in Sterling tomorrow night at 630 (for the first time). If anyone is interested, holla at me.

Plus, how is thr track there? Lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 11:27 AM   #115
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
We're still waiting on Summit Point Kart to reopen, but there has been little news on their page for several months.

Autobahn is better than nothing, but their tracks are too tight and electric karts are meh. I've been plenty of times and have fun each time, but we're always asking when will SPK reopen after we're done.

Dominion is pretty far, but I'd go there often if it were closer. I'm sure I'll check it out sometime this spring/summer and give it a chance.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 11:34 PM   #116
mdm
not a twin owner

For me the new SPK is much farther than Dominion. Still, I'd definitely go there sometimes if they finally opened. What they announced seemed very promising.
Old 03-03-2017, 08:57 AM   #117
Biggins

Drives: Yes
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdm View Post
For me the new SPK is much farther than Dominion. Still, I'd definitely go there sometimes if they finally opened. What they announced seemed very promising.
I'm just glad we have so many options now! SPK will be only 20 minutes once/if they open. MAGP is actually closer for me than all the VA ones because traffic is better from Baltimore area to DE than to VA.

Question about the other Autobahns... does everyone get drastically different times depending on when they go? At Allsports and SPK, our times were always pretty consistent no matter the time of the year, but when I'm at Autobahn with my usual couple friends, our times seem to have pretty wild variations. We suspected the cold weather takes a toll on the electric karts?

If anyone ever vacations to Ireland, make sure you check out Pallas Karting. That was the coolest place I've been and basically in someone's backyard. The karts are crazy fast, you get so much time on track for you money, and it's just awesome! I was sore for a week afterward because it was brutal, but that's the fun in it.

Last edited by Biggins; 03-03-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Biggins is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Biggins For This Useful Post:
mdm (03-03-2017)
Old 03-03-2017, 09:37 AM   #118
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alxtheoreo View Post
Yo - I plan to hit up Autobahn Speedway in Sterling tomorrow night at 630 (for the first time). If anyone is interested, holla at me.

Plus, how is thr track there? Lol

My fastest lap was a 27.175 during my third race. This place really needs a back straight instead of another hairpin turn in the middle. Idk how ppl get low 26s times here...

The guys said they allow use of the paddle shifting once you do 10 races at this location.

They also plan to start a league on Thursdays in April.

Old 03-03-2017, 11:43 PM   #119
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
Question about the other Autobahns... does everyone get drastically different times depending on when they go? At Allsports and SPK, our times were always pretty consistent no matter the time of the year, but when I'm at Autobahn with my usual couple friends, our times seem to have pretty wild variations. We suspected the cold weather takes a toll on the electric karts?
These are indoor karts so I doubt weather would have so much influence. As always, some karts are better, some are worse, and traffic can influence your times a lot.

Other than, it probably boils down to what do you call "wild" variations.

At Manassas, I did 15 races (including an enduro) after track acid wash that was done around January 30th, and my best lap times were 20.735 to 21.528 s, so that's less than 4% difference. And I am not the most consistent racer.

Before the acid wash my best lap times there were 21.813 to 24.878. but that includes learning the track early and driving in heavy traffic sometimes. League races (so after learning the track and no slow traffic) were 21.813 to 22.806 over 36 races (4.5% difference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biggins View Post
If anyone ever vacations to Ireland, make sure you check out Pallas Karting.
I'll remember that. In April I'm going to race at Buckmore Park in the UK https://www.buckmore.co.uk/
Old 03-03-2017, 11:45 PM   #120
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
My fastest lap was a 27.175 during my third race. This place really needs a back straight instead of another hairpin turn in the middle.
I guess anything is better than Manassas... only two short straights. If you want a long straight, go to Dominion .

Quote:
They also plan to start a league on Thursdays in April.
I know, April 20th, and I really wanted to go, but the league meetings start at 7 pm, which is too early for me. I could barely do Manassas league, and we started at 8.
Old 03-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #121
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
I know, April 20th, and I really wanted to go, but the league meetings start at 7 pm, which is too early for me. I could barely do Manassas league, and we started at 8.
I heard they changing to 8pm, so I'd be in. Just have to find some time to go there and get to know the track and practice before 4/20.

Dominion is also going to run a league, once a month, Thursdays at 7p, startring April 6th. I'd love to participate, but no way I can get there on time, especially in typical I-95S traffic on a weekday evening.

Also, there will be an enduro there on 4/29.
The Following User Says Thank You to mdm For This Useful Post:
alxtheoreo (03-12-2017)
Old 03-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #122
alxtheoreo

Quote:
I heard they changing to 8pm, so I'd be in. Just have to find some time to go there and get to know the track and practice before 4/20.

Dominion is also going to run a league, once a month, Thursdays at 7p, startring April 6th. I'd love to participate, but no way I can get there on time, especially in typical I-95S traffic on a weekday evening.

Also, there will be an enduro there on 4/29.
Nice. Let me know when you come out. I'll join you

Also, how long is the enduro?

Old 03-12-2017, 02:54 PM   #123
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Will do. For now, I think I'll probably go to Dulles one weekday night before the end March (weekdays should be less packed, also more likely to get to try out paddle shifters), and then once between 4/10 and 4/20. Dominion probably one weekend this month.

Quote:
Also, how long is the enduro?
Two hours, minimum 3 stops (driver changes or stop&go), minimum 2 drivers per team, $250 per team
https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/2564
alxtheoreo (03-12-2017)
Old 03-14-2017, 03:24 PM   #124
mdm
not a twin owner

Quote:
Suddenly my today's schedule opened up so it seems I'll be able to go to Dulles today, probably around 5:30-6.
Old 03-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #125
alxtheoreo

Quote:
Suddenly my today's schedule opened up so it seems I'll be able to go to Dulles today, probably around 5:30-6.
Nice. Unfortunately, I'll need to pass on today.

Old 03-14-2017, 09:18 PM   #126
mdm
not a twin owner

I got 26.872. Paddle shifting is challenging, things are happening very quickly, and getting your apexes, AND braking, AND shifts correct at the same time is hard, especially in traffic. But it's fun.

Also, they need to iron out some problems. I did 8 races, 6 were supposed to be in manual/paddle shifter mode. Of those 6, once I was put in Auto, once I was in a kart that was stuck in gear 4, and once I got a kart that would only shift between 1 & 2, and then the paddle shifter broke.... But they replaced the kart for me, and also gave me a free race for the one when the kart was stuck in the 4th. I'll definitely come back, probably for the league as well.

Last edited by mdm; 03-14-2017 at 10:02 PM.
alxtheoreo (03-15-2017)