follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-05-2019, 03:02 PM   #15
legojerry

Drives: Charcoal '13 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Depends where the head gasket is leaking. Feasible that you are just blowing a bit directly into the exhaust. Was the death of an old Datsun pickup I once had. Oil was clean but it pushed out the tailpipe
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
AllData has 2 headgaskets at 13.7 hours. Plus an hour or two diag? At our shop rate, you'd already be over the $2300.

Service items are generally recommended based on time and mileage, if you didn't have the trans serviced by them how would they know it had just been serviced?

Why would expect any "extras"? Do you spend $100 at Target and grab another $10 worth of stuff on the way out the door? It's not a fleamarket, it's a business.
Is the 13.7 hours starting with the engine in the car or would it be less since it's already torn down?

I was charged for the diagnostics which is completely fair. I do feel it's a little bit steep considering the engine is already out of the vehicle but I don't really know how much additional work there is once it's out and the valve springs are done.

Please note I was *not* complaining that they offered additional services, I was happy they did so and appreciated it and the service manager noted they simply didn't have any records of the service being done. Again, not complaining about that at all.

I was hoping they would throw in an alignment and it never hurts to ask, especially if it's labor only. Occasionally in my field we'll throw in additional service(s) depending on what you're interested in.
legojerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:45 PM   #16
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by legojerry View Post
Is the 13.7 hours starting with the engine in the car or would it be less since it's already torn down?

I was charged for the diagnostics which is completely fair. I do feel it's a little bit steep considering the engine is already out of the vehicle but I don't really know how much additional work there is once it's out and the valve springs are done.

Please note I was *not* complaining that they offered additional services, I was happy they did so and appreciated it and the service manager noted they simply didn't have any records of the service being done. Again, not complaining about that at all.

I was hoping they would throw in an alignment and it never hurts to ask, especially if it's labor only. Occasionally in my field we'll throw in additional service(s) depending on what you're interested in.

13.7 complete job. R&I engine shows 6.5, plus valve covers and timing would already be apart. I can't see charging more than 4 hours or so labor. I didn't realize it was done with the recall, certainly seems steep.

I hear you on the extras. It's just hard to make work. They give a free alignment, someone still has to pay the tech, so the shop just eats it.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 03:54 PM   #17
legojerry

Drives: Charcoal '13 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
13.7 complete job. R&I engine shows 6.5, plus valve covers and timing would already be apart. I can't see charging more than 4 hours or so labor. I didn't realize it was done with the recall, certainly seems steep.

I hear you on the extras. It's just hard to make work. They give a free alignment, someone still has to pay the tech, so the shop just eats it.
Thank you for the info, I really appreciate it!
legojerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 12:46 AM   #18
terry12t

Drives: BRZ 2017 type S
Quote:
Originally Posted by legojerry View Post
Car is currently torn apart, they checked the head gaskets and one of them is blown. They're replacing at a cost of $2300 which honestly I think is really high but just on the line for me to go ahead and do it, I asked if they could throw in some extras but they declined.

They've currently had the car since last Wednesday evening (7/31/19).

They also tried to sell me rear shocks, $950, a cabin filter, air filter, back brakes and tires which I will just do myself. They also wanted to change the rear diff fluid, transmission fluid (which I had just done) and brake fluid. I declined all additional service.

There's been no mixing of oil and coolant so there's no damage.. they did say the cam seals? I think? were leaking and need replaced.

They'll also be replacing the spark plugs.

hi bro, would you mind if we shared your broken headgasket's pics?
mine also has the coolant leaking issue & planning drive to the dealer for a check.

if it's convenient, pls mail me the pic via 77156176@qq.com, I'm curious about where the gaskets' blown located & what is broken alike

thx
terry12t is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to terry12t For This Useful Post:
mswbrz (08-15-2020)