follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 04-30-2013, 11:53 AM   #43
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Good info, thanks.

I'm a little confused about whether the RE-11's are directional. Tirerack isn't clear, but the tread pattern looks like it is directional and I've read posts here that also say they are. Can they be rotated side-to-side to even out wear and noise while keeping full grip levels?
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:03 PM   #44
Dezoris

Drives: FR-S
Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
I used the RE-11, as a street tire they were ok just ok.
Not nearly as sticky as the RS3 or Z1/Z2 and they are over priced.
Sure you get better wet performance, but they don't do well in extreme heat.

They are a better tire if you are in the 35-80F range all the time.
If you track and autox you won't have the grip you want with them.
Old 04-30-2013, 12:46 PM   #45
TRev

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
Good info, thanks.

I'm a little confused about whether the RE-11's are directional. Tirerack isn't clear, but the tread pattern looks like it is directional and I've read posts here that also say they are. Can they be rotated side-to-side to even out wear and noise while keeping full grip levels?
The RE-11 was not directional and just have the recommended inside/outside designation due to the tread pattern. Not sure on the RE-11A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post
I used the RE-11, as a street tire they were ok just ok.
Not nearly as sticky as the RS3 or Z1/Z2 and they are over priced.
Sure you get better wet performance, but they don't do well in extreme heat.

They are a better tire if you are in the 35-80F range all the time.
If you track and autox you won't have the grip you want with them.
The RE-11 in my experience is as heat sensitive as the Z1. I spray both of them on hot days usually by the 2nd and for sure the third runs even as a single driver.

People say the RE-11's aren't sticky, however, at Spring Nationals last year, Lance placed 1st and I placed 2nd on them in RTR. Lance also placed first on them at Nationals last year in RTR. Both of us won the Street Tire Nationals in Milwaukee on them, I in 2010 and Lance in 2011. Granted that is the only good tire other than the Yoko that fits the Genesis Coupe. They do last forever (I had over 7000 miles of aggressive street driving and 150 autox runs and they were still between 1-2 32/nd's. They are expensive though.

I definitely would not use the RE-11 or Z1/Z2 as a track tire. I would choose the Rival or RS3. For an all around tire, the Z2 would be my pick based on price/performance especially if it is a rainy area of the country.
TRev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TRev For This Useful Post:
torqdork (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 03:07 PM   #46
Dezoris

Thanked 2,997 Times in 1,095 Posts
Mentioned: 159 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRev View Post
The RE-11 was not directional and just have the recommended inside/outside designation due to the tread pattern. Not sure on the RE-11A.

The RE-11 in my experience is as heat sensitive as the Z1. I spray both of them on hot days usually by the 2nd and for sure the third runs even as a single driver.

People say the RE-11's aren't sticky, however, at Spring Nationals last year, Lance placed 1st and I placed 2nd on them in RTR. Lance also placed first on them at Nationals last year in RTR. Both of us won the Street Tire Nationals in Milwaukee on them, I in 2010 and Lance in 2011. Granted that is the only good tire other than the Yoko that fits the Genesis Coupe. They do last forever (I had over 7000 miles of aggressive street driving and 150 autox runs and they were still between 1-2 32/nd's. They are expensive though.

I definitely would not use the RE-11 or Z1/Z2 as a track tire. I would choose the Rival or RS3. For an all around tire, the Z2 would be my pick based on price/performance especially if it is a rainy area of the country.
I never had as much of an issue with the Z1 as I did the RE-11.
The RE-11 was also noisy, not road noise but actual tire squeal at near the or limit which was annoying on the street. Sure it gives feedback but it was always alerting everyone you were on them. I found they overheated in my application about 10 degrees cooler than the Z1s. But our applications may have been different. The Z1/Z2/RS3 don't make any noise until you are 95%

Since I have run all of them except the rivals, it was the only tire I absolutely regretted, mainly because of the cost. It would be different if it had the matching performance. In the rain and cold it was ok, but heat and overall grip always upset me.

Are opinions are slightly different but at least he go make a better decision!

Old 04-30-2013, 03:52 PM   #47
TRev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezoris View Post

Are opinions are slightly different but at least he go make a better decision!

Totally agree and I appreciated your viewpoint too.

If I hadn't done so darn well on them, my opinion might be more inline with yours
Old 04-30-2013, 05:03 PM   #48
Aznsky

Drives: Nissan 350Z (sold) 13' Whiteout FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
So it sounds like rivals are still the preferred street tire? especially for camber limited rtr class?
Aznsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:17 PM   #49
TRev

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aznsky View Post
So it sounds like rivals are still the preferred street tire? especially for camber limited rtr class?
I think it is a toss up between the Rival and Z2. Rival is definitely less prone to heat issues and offers contingency. Z2 is better in the wet and cooler temps. Have not seen enough data on the RE-11A.

I chose the Rival mostly due to the contingency and wanting to support a manufacturer that supports us. I just bought another 11 run set of Rivals though for $350 as it was too fair of a deal to pass up. I plan to mount those and have two sets of Rivals so I don't have to worry about getting OPR cleaned off at the tours with concrete surfaces prior to 2nd day runs.

Generally speaking it seems like the Z2 is definitely winning more events than the Rival so far.
Aznsky (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #50
Kido1986
Dodging cones

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited, 93 Z28
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Ive noticed that as well. Wonder if that has anything to do with the fact that Z2s were available before the season started and Rivals were not?
Originally Posted by mrbillclintong View Post
If you guys spot any riced frs/brz post them here just for laughs no hating please.
Isn't there already a thread like this? It's called aggressive wheels or summat...
C Street Build/Progress Questions about C Street Autocrossing?
Kido1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 PM   #51
des

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Trevor, glad to see you kicking butt!

FWIW, my Z2s have come in really well. The grip's always been good, but the forgiveness factor has gone way up. With nearly 100 runs now, I just hammer on 'em.

They definitely have more heat resistance than the Z1s. I sprayed them for the first time last weekend with two drivers, fast turnarounds and 85 degrees.

(I would have bought Rivals had they been available when I needed them -- and I have driven an FRS on 225 Rivals back to back with my car. I can't say which is faster ultimately, but the Z2 made me feel like a better driver.)

Last edited by des; 04-30-2013 at 06:41 PM. Reason: ninja edit!
des is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to des For This Useful Post:
TRev (04-30-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:56 AM   #52
autoXracer

Drives: 2013 WRB BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Did you notice a difference between the Enkei and Kosei wheels, 50 vs 42 offset?

Also would Z2's and Rivals work well on a DD car (I don't change tires for event and DD my car. I was happy with the old Z1's)?
autoXracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:36 PM   #53
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Why are the RS3's out of the running for RTR?
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 01:10 PM   #54
TRev

Quote:
Originally Posted by autoXracer View Post
Did you notice a difference between the Enkei and Kosei wheels, 50 vs 42 offset?

Also would Z2's and Rivals work well on a DD car (I don't change tires for event and DD my car. I was happy with the old Z1's)?
I didn't notice any differences. The Kosei wheels have my old Z1's on them and my Enkei's have the Rivals so it was definitely a change. I would attribute it to tire though. The Enkei's in theory would be the more ideal choice to have a wider track.

The Z2's or the Rivals should both DD as well as the Z1's with the exception of the Rivals having a bit less performance in the rain. Nothing that would cause an issue with DD'ing them though IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
Why are the RS3's out of the running for RTR?
I'm not sure that they are though I am not aware of anyone doing really well on them in RTR at the National events or local events I have been at. I ran them on my H22 swapped Honda for street use and liked them once they had lots of heat in them.
autoXracer (05-01-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 01:21 PM   #55
DylanFRS
Lost in Kansas

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS (Raven)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRev View Post
I'm not sure that they are though I am not aware of anyone doing really well on them in RTR at the National events or local events I have been at. I ran them on my H22 swapped Honda for street use and liked them once they had lots of heat in them.
I just picked up a set (the newly stamped 200 treadwear ones) to run all year for RTR. Unfortunately I won't be at Nationals this year though due to being the age where all of your friends get married regardless of your AutoX schedule.

Anyways, I have never run the Star Specs. I decided on the RS3s over the Rivals for a couple reasons in that I am also daily driving them and I "perceive" the RS3s as being better at treading water and because I hate the fact that you can only buy the Rivals from Tirerack. Before the RS3s I had Toyo R1Rs on a STC Civic. In other words, my opinions on the RS3s will be useless.
DylanFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #56
TRev

Quote:
Originally Posted by DylanFRS View Post
In other words, my opinions on the RS3s will be useless.
All feedback is good feedback. If your local region has a significant amount of National caliber competition like ours does in Milwaukee, it can be a very good indication of National competitiveness too.

Another interesting data point. One of the guys who regularly runs an S2000 in RTR was running Z2's on the front and R1R's on the rear at the most recent event. He placed the best that he ever has among the regulars in RTR.

Tags
defyant whiteline works