follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 05-05-2021, 02:08 AM   #1
Trev6450w

Drives: 2013 Black FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation Scion FRS Reverse Light/Backup Camera Wiring Help

Just bought a 2013 FRS 6MT, and I tried to install a backup camera today. I had everything correctly wired but wondered why nothing was working. I crawled in the engine bay and found the Scion FRS A53 Light Switch Assembly.

I saw that the white and black wire sitting on top of the transmission was cut and disconnected and the connectors were missing. It would make sense as the car just got a clutch replacement prior to me becoming the owner.

Now I am not an expert at doing stuff with wires and such, but I wanted to know which was the hot and which was the ground as both wires in the black reverse wire assembly are the same color(red/white stripe). Would greatly appreciate if someone can help me and give me a better idea on how to differentiate the wires, and wire this up correctly.
Trev6450w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 02:02 PM   #2
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trev6450w View Post
Just bought a 2013 FRS 6MT, and I tried to install a backup camera today. I had everything correctly wired but wondered why nothing was working. I crawled in the engine bay and found the Scion FRS A53 Light Switch Assembly.

I saw that the white and black wire sitting on top of the transmission was cut and disconnected and the connectors were missing. It would make sense as the car just got a clutch replacement prior to me becoming the owner.

Now I am not an expert at doing stuff with wires and such, but I wanted to know which was the hot and which was the ground as both wires in the black reverse wire assembly are the same color(red/white stripe). Would greatly appreciate if someone can help me and give me a better idea on how to differentiate the wires, and wire this up correctly.

Actually, the wire you're looking for seems to be behind the driver's side kick panel. According to this post here,

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13038

it should be an Orange/White or Pink wire in a harness there. My guess would be that you can also find that wire somewhere behind the head unit.

Are you skilled at using and troubleshooting with a multimeter? If so, you should be able to verify the suspected wire by setting your meter to read D/C Volts and grounding the black test lead then probing the suspected wire with the red test lead. Turn the ignition switch to ON without starting the engine for this test. What you want to see is a voltage change from either zero volts to +12 volts or vice versa as you shift from neutral to reverse.

As for somebody cutting the wires running along the transmission, I can't help you there, but you should definitely investigate that as to why that was done. I disagree that it makes sense to cut those wires in order to replace the transmission. It makes no sense to me.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2021, 05:33 PM   #3
Trev6450w

Drives: 2013 Black FRS 6MT
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I got it all working, and I used the multi-meter. I bought new connectors for the engine bay cables above the transmission, and it all worked beautifully in the end. Appreciate it sir!
Trev6450w is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Trev6450w For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (05-06-2021)

Tags
a53 assembly, backup camera, reverse light