follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

User Tag List

Old 11-16-2020, 01:03 AM   #1
Plumbus
Seņor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Gaskets for '17 Limited Spoiler

Hey fellas, I'm about reinstall my OEM '17 Limited spoiler back soon but before I do, I need to find a way to re-seal the spoiler holes from water and moisture. When I first removed the spoiler, some black gasket material stuck to the trunk and some remained on the base of the spoiler uprights. Needless to say, I need completely new gaskets, but the Subaru parts catalogue for this part is God-awful. It has no pictures or diagrams, and no useful descriptions nor quantities required.

The spoiler can be found here, and I believe the part in question is "96078A -- Spoiler Seal (Rear)". My closest Subaru dealer recently went bankrupt and the next one is two hours away round-trip, so I want to get this right the first time. Can anyone confirm that's the part I'm looking for and how many are needed?

TIA

edit: just so you understand my pain, this diagram shows 96078A as the sticker in the middle of the trunk that protects it from the rubber spacer. sigh.
https://www.subarupartsdeal.com/part...6078ca000.html

Last edited by Plumbus; 11-16-2020 at 01:34 AM.
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 08:05 PM   #2
Plumbus
Seņor Member

Drives: '17 BRZ PP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
I didn't expect anyone to know such an obscure fact so I'm not surprised at the lack of responses. I still don't know the answer for a fact but I am thinking of buying one of the, and I quote, "Spoiler Seal" because I removed the original trunk sticker right in the middle where the rubber spacer hits, currently I removed the spacer but the spoiler bends a lot when you close the trunk. It bends so much that it crushed my fingers a bit, like a giant aluminum guitar string.

I ended up removing the sticker residue from the upright bases with a heat gun and my fingernails, and applied Dum Dum (3M strip calk) in the original oval shapes. Recommend flattening them a bit as the putty is kinda fat compared to the original gaskets and had to torque the bolts quite a bit to squish the putty.

Subaru, making someone buy an entirely new spoiler because they lost a tiny component is not cool. Thank god I found the baggy where I put the hardware, and thank god for 3m strip calk. that's about it, see you in a few years when a poor soul asks a question about this issue. later!
Plumbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 09:14 PM   #3
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
can always try the local toyota dealer.

the one nearest me has some '2014 fr-s' parts on order for me...

just skip the one's that insist on a VIN for any orders.

Tags
2017, gaskets, seals, spoiler, subaru