follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List
go_a_way1

Old 06-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #3963
Uplink

Drives: anything you let me
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
I've never had rotors turned, but I would think the same places that turn one piece rotors.
That said, there may be something else going on you want to figure out before doing that.
It's not usually an issue of 1pc or 2pc, it's if the rotors are cross-drilled or slotted. Most places won't resurface those.

@Zion With all the extremes they've seen to get to this point over 2 years, from a simple safety standpoint you might want to consider a new set of rings. If you're nowhere near the wear limit on the rotors it might be a good indicator that you could safely go to a more aggressive pad compound as well.
Uplink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:24 PM   #3964
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsimon7777 View Post
Try leaving the spare and accompanying junk in the trunk. Cheaper than a wing and gives "downforce" on the rear. Also, I haven't done it, but the pedal dance might help because it will turn off the e-differential. In the end, the light rear end is a blessing because, on every single sweeper, we get to play with steering by throttle. You can also stay in a gear higher than optimal. This will limit your torque and make throttle control easier. An upgraded LSD should help, too. I think a wing is a later mod, not an earlier one.

Try going into a corner too fast. You'll understeer, at least at first.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamtruk View Post
Hmm havent though about adding weight and seeing what the differences are, I will try it out next time just to get an idea at least.

For the pedal dance, I have been doing it, I dont think the electronics would allow for so much slip angle even in "off" mode.

I wouldn't recommend leaving the spare + junk in the trunk. That won't help and could make things worse. Back in the day Gary Sheehan in USTCC with his WRX put all of their series required ballast in the trunk initially with the thinking of making the car less front heavy biased. The result was excessive oversteer city. Eventually they moved it to the center of the car for a lower polar moment of inertia. Much more stable.

A little rear toe in would be where I'd start, maybe a little more rear camber as well. Sticky-ish tires on soft stock suspension wants a lot of camber.

- andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-06-2016), Icecreamtruk (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 03:57 PM   #3965
Icecreamtruk

Drives: Track preped NA FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
I wouldn't recommend leaving the spare + junk in the trunk. That won't help and could make things worse. Back in the day Gary Sheehan in USTCC with his WRX put all of their series required ballast in the trunk initially with the thinking of making the car less front heavy biased. The result was excessive oversteer city. Eventually they moved it to the center of the car for a lower polar moment of inertia. Much more stable.

A little rear toe in would be where I'd start, maybe a little more rear camber as well. Sticky-ish tires on soft stock suspension wants a lot of camber.

- andrew
Thanks andrew, btw do you guys have a FR-S in the Super Production Challenge? There is an asphalt FR-S, I think vortech supercharged with Racecomp Engineering stickers on the sides (really big ones, you couldnt miss it). It made me think of you guys here in the forum right away.
Icecreamtruk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Icecreamtruk For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 04:23 PM   #3966
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,233 Times in 2,957 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Quote:
Thanks andrew, btw do you guys have a FR-S in the Super Production Challenge? There is an asphalt FR-S, I think vortech supercharged with Racecomp Engineering stickers on the sides (really big ones, you couldnt miss it). It made me think of you guys here in the forum right away.
That's @puma for BP3D Competition. We are one of their sponsors and they are running our RCE Tarmac coilovers. They've got a good team and won the 2015 championship.

http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96120

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
Icecreamtruk (06-06-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #3967
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,166 Times in 6,828 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
@CounterSpace Garage , agree I need new rings? PM me so we can set it up
Thickness wise, your rings are fine. If they're tapered, turn them, if someone local will do it. No need to waste money.

You are getting a lot of heat checking, which means you're using em right! It doesn't hurt to have a spare set. If you really want to be on fresh rotors, keep these as a backup; they're perfectly useable, although not ideal.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (06-07-2016)
Old 06-06-2016, 04:39 PM   #3968
CSG Mike

Quote:
Aero questions. Im going to get a wing for my car, the rear is really loose, its fast but its scary driving specially on long sweepers. I dont want to turn the oversteer into understeer and my suspension isnt adjustable (its stock actually). Should I worry about a front splitter or air dam at first or should I just try the wing by itself? Im affraid the wing might lift the front without any aero that transform all of that happy tail oversteer into understeer.

Also, im not only doing it because I find it scary, im really chicken anyways so that probably wont change but I think I can find more time if I can have some more late apexes with early gas applications. I find myself having to give up on some late apexes because the rear will slide out at turn in, I can probably trail brake some more too, currently lifting off brakes completely halfway between turn in and apex, I could probably trail brake all the way to the apex with a wing, allowing me to brake later.

Edit: alignement is -3 camber up front, -2 camber rear, 0 toe all around.

Edit 2: more info, 28k miles on stock dampers with around 15 track days (2-3 hours of track time per day). Surface is tarmac not asphalt so it is smooth, but no rubbery smooth. Tires are 225/45/17 Maxxis RC1. So far I have tried 38, 35 and 32 hot pressures on them. 32 produced the fastest times and better turn in.
I would put money that your stock dampers are worn out. Buy a fresh set off the forums; many members dump them for cheap when they get coilovers, with very little wear on them.

An LSD will make the rear end more predictable and progressive, and may be a better modification than a wing, especially if you want to avoid understeer.

CSG has several options available for both wings and LSDs.

I see experienced drivers consistently wear out stock dampers in 3-5 track days.
@dp1 @Pat great ideas, but I believe both of you have experienced a degree of wear and tear
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-06-2016), Icecreamtruk (06-06-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:10 AM   #3969
jarnojvv

Drives: 86|Fortuner|FJ|Mustang|SwiftSport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Hi Guys,

I have a relatively standard 86, only changed to Pilot Sports and a couple of small things. Doing camber bolts when I'm home again in a couple of weeks.

My question specifically pertains to wheel alignment on the stock suspension with its limited adjustments. With camber bolts in the front (-1.3deg) and standard rear setup (assuming 0deg) the only other material parameter left is the toe settings fore & aft.

I would like to understand the difference between front and rear toe out (a) under braking, (b) turn in, (c) steady state cornering & (d) corner exit/power out.

If you are also on standard suspension feel free to post your alignment!

Thanks!
Old 06-07-2016, 10:27 AM   #3970
Pat

Drives: 2023 BRZ
Thanked 1,248 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Garage
This may or may not be what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.
click
Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pat For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (06-07-2016), jarnojvv (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #3971
jarnojvv

Drives: 86|Fortuner|FJ|Mustang|SwiftSport
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat View Post
This may or may not be what you're looking for, but I hope it helps.
click
Thanks! Would also like to understand how toe-out front vs rear affects handling during different cornering phases,
Old 06-07-2016, 12:31 PM   #3972
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnojvv View Post
Hi Guys,

I have a relatively standard 86, only changed to Pilot Sports and a couple of small things. Doing camber bolts when I'm home again in a couple of weeks.

I would like to understand the difference between front and rear toe out (a) under braking, (b) turn in, (c) steady state cornering & (d) corner exit/power out.

Thanks!
I don't have bump steer numbers for the car yet, so I'll have to answer in general terms. Bump steer on a road racing car is extremely important, and often overlooked. A good shop will spend several hours on one car getting less than 0.01" per 1" of suspension movement. Bump steer behavior can significantly affect the following tendencies if it's too much.

Front toe out is going to most significantly affect turn-in. The car will feel much more responsive since the inboard tire will develop higher slip angles sooner and "pull" the car into the corner, if that makes sense.

Rear toe out is going to be a bad thing, generally speaking. It will make the car very darty and unstable. It'll want to come around under hard braking, especially trail braking. It'll seem squirmy under hard acceleration. We usually aim for 0 to 1/16" total toe in for the rear.

Keep in mind you can't change anything in a suspension setup without affecting other things to some degree, but those are the most significant effects.

Jake
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
jarnojvv (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 05:40 PM   #3973
CSG Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarnojvv View Post
Hi Guys,

My question specifically pertains to wheel alignment on the stock suspension with its limited adjustments. With camber bolts in the front (-1.3deg) and standard rear setup (assuming 0deg) the only other material parameter left is the toe settings fore & aft.

Thanks!
Toe-out front will help turn-in response, at the cost of steady state cornering grip. Toe-in front will stabilize the front end, at the cost of steady state cornering.

Toe-in rear will stabilize the rear, while toe-out will make the rear want to wander/rotate.

Everything has a reasonable amount to be used, as well as a time and place. More is not better, in any scenario.
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
dp1 (06-07-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 07:50 AM   #3974
ZionsWrath
Thanks

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 3,100 Times in 1,498 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Guys with extended studs and open lugs. Do you still use factory 90 ft lbs or what?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #3975
GSpeed

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Thanked 1,181 Times in 362 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Guys with extended studs and open lugs. Do you still use factory 90 ft lbs or what?
If they're steel lugs, yes. If they're aluminum lugs, we throw them out and buy steel lugs, then torque to 90-95 ft lbs.
GSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GSpeed For This Useful Post:
DocWalt (06-08-2016), dp1 (06-08-2016), gramicci101 (06-08-2016)
Old 06-08-2016, 08:42 AM   #3976
dp1
driving smoother faster

Drives: Sold
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quote:

CSG chromoly steel lugs (http://counterspacegarage.com/csg-ra...s-m12x125.html), torqued to 90lb
dp1 is offline   Reply With Quote