follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 09-20-2022, 02:33 PM   #1
MaxwellSlides

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Question Car not starting, no crank. ABS Light and Engine Light On

Hey everyone! I’m kinda new here so it’s awesome to be on the forum. I had a quick question.

So recently I changed my clutch out on my 2013 Scion FR-S and of course changed the gear oil. I used Royal Blue. I know some people have said that it’s crap but I read that after I threw it into the car. I think I might have overfilled it because my car is running a bit sluggish. Is that maybe the new clutch getting broken in or is that a common issue with too much oil? When I plugged it the car was still weeping a steady stream of oil, but I couldn’t feel a pool of oil when my finger went in so I assumed it was below the line. I’m a bit confused. This is my second clutch job, the first being on a manual Jeep, so any advice would be appreciated.

Also, my shifter falls into gear without needing the clutch. I’m assuming that means my clutch pedal needs adjusting, but any reassurance on that?
Thanks a bunch

Last edited by MaxwellSlides; 09-20-2022 at 10:16 PM.
MaxwellSlides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 03:11 PM   #2
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Assuming the battery was disconnected, the ECU has to re-learn some parameters after having lost power. Give it a few cycles to sort out your throttle pedal and such.

You would have to try really hard to overfill the transmission. I'm sure it's fine.

Clutch mechanism is self-adjusting. It's possible to improperly adjust the pedal throw but the worst outcome is a slipping clutch. Did you adjust the pedal?
Old 09-20-2022, 04:35 PM   #3
MaxwellSlides

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
Assuming the battery was disconnected, the ECU has to re-learn some parameters after having lost power. Give it a few cycles to sort out your throttle pedal and such.

You would have to try really hard to overfill the transmission. I'm sure it's fine.

Clutch mechanism is self-adjusting. It's possible to improperly adjust the pedal throw but the worst outcome is a slipping clutch. Did you adjust the pedal?
I haven’t adjusted the pedal at all I just left it stock. I went ahead and drained the transmission even further and waited til it stopped weeping. But now the car won’t start. I took it to a dealership a while ago and they suspected a wiring issue but I’m not even sure where to start with that. I changed the throw out bearing because I thought it was getting stuck on the retainer cover (which ended up not even being that worn) but my bearing was pretty whooped so I made the change. Whenever it does this I pop the clutch in 1st while the car was rolling I managed to get it started.

Any idea? I might just post in another forum bc I feel this is a deeper issue.
Old 09-20-2022, 06:31 PM   #4
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxwellSlides View Post
I haven’t adjusted the pedal at all I just left it stock. I went ahead and drained the transmission even further and waited til it stopped weeping. But now the car won’t start. I took it to a dealership a while ago and they suspected a wiring issue but I’m not even sure where to start with that. I changed the throw out bearing because I thought it was getting stuck on the retainer cover (which ended up not even being that worn) but my bearing was pretty whooped so I made the change. Whenever it does this I pop the clutch in 1st while the car was rolling I managed to get it started.

Respect for bump starting old school. Not starting is a separate issue. I dunno. You could just edit the thread title. There are, like, 20 people who get into troubleshooting topics here. All the right folks will see this.

Does the starter motor even click when it quits working? Ever try tapping it? Worn motor brushes show up as dead spots in the motor's arcs of rotation. For a while, tapping the motor can get them to make contact enough to start.
Old 09-20-2022, 07:46 PM   #5
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

Check that the ground strap to the bell housing is attached/clean/tight.
Old 09-20-2022, 08:34 PM   #6
humfrz

Drives: 2013 FR-S, white, MT
Thanked 31,813 Times in 16,424 Posts
Mentioned: 708 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Respect for bump starting old school. Not starting is a separate issue. I dunno. You could just edit the thread title. There are, like, 20 people who get into troubleshooting topics here. All the right folks will see this.

Does the starter motor even click when it quits working? Ever try tapping it? Worn motor brushes show up as dead spots in the motor's arcs of rotation. For a while, tapping the motor can get them to make contact enough to start.
THAT is SOOOOO old school -

Fess up, Ultramaroon, you ARE related to Bubba -
humfrz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to humfrz For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-20-2022), Ultramaroon (09-21-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:05 PM   #7
MaxwellSlides

Quote:

The starter doesn’t even make a sound. I checked my battery and it reads 12.63 volts. Too a whack at the starter and solenoid and still nothing. I checked the ground bolted to the bell housing and it’s tight. Here are some photos. I saw that the solenoid was a bit scratched up so maybe it’s been banged on in the past. Oriellys will test it tomorrow once I’m home from school. To add, the ABS and Engine lights are on when I turn the key to power the car (not starting) but there are no codes so I’m guessing it’s like that before the car is running. I literally started it this morning after the clutch job, twice, and drove it around. Only when it sat did it not want to turn on. And that’s been the case for the last two months. Sometimes I used to (I know this is stupid but it wassss fun every now and then) rock the car while inside it and occasionally that would get it started. But eventually it stopped working.

I’m wondering, how to I test how much voltage is reaching the starter? Is it the little white wire going to the solenoid plus the ground, or the thick one next to that tiny one that’s bolted on + the ground?
Attached Images

Old 09-20-2022, 11:09 PM   #8
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
check your clutch switch, they're prone for going out, and will cause a no-start condition as well.

if you're not getting any click at all out of the starter/relay, i don't believe the starter is the problem
NoHaveMSG (09-20-2022), Ultramaroon (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:10 PM   #9
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Put a multimeter on the battery and check voltage while someone else cranks the car over and tell us what it reads.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:13 PM   #10
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Put a multimeter on the battery and check voltage while someone else cranks the car over and tell us what it reads.
i bet it's 12.63v
NoHaveMSG (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 11:26 PM   #11
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,305 Times in 7,369 Posts
Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
i bet it's 12.63v

If it’s the clutch switch.
soundman98 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 12:07 AM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

The clutch switches tend to burn out with the keyless systems. With keyed ignition switches, one would have to be in the habit of letting go of the clutch before releasing the key to the "run" position. Nobody does that.

Get someone to (try to) crank the starter while you're testing voltage between chassis ground and the thin wire to the solenoid. If there's juice, everything inside the cabin is good. If not, it gets complicated.

Last edited by Ultramaroon; 09-21-2022 at 12:20 AM.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (09-21-2022)
Old 09-21-2022, 02:38 AM   #13
MaxwellSlides

Quote:
The clutch switches tend to burn out with the keyless systems. With keyed ignition switches, one would have to be in the habit of letting go of the clutch before releasing the key to the "run" position. Nobody does that.

Get someone to (try to) crank the starter while you're testing voltage between chassis ground and the thin wire to the solenoid. If there's juice, everything inside the cabin is good. If not, it gets complicated.
Okay so did a thing. I tested the voltage of my battery again yet this time (about two hours later and using my light inside my car to crank while checking starter) it was 12.53v, and dropped to 12.34v when trying to start the car. Still nothing other than the typical humming, no sound coming from starter. I haven’t tested the little wire yet so I’m gonna do that tomorrow and get back to you guys. Would that indicate a wiring issue inside the car? Like to the radio or something? Because whenever I try to start it everything shuts off for a moment then turns back on but it’s been like that since I got it. Also, is the clutch switch for only the car starting? I live in LA and traffic can be buttcheeks, pushing the clutch in and out frequently. Maybe that could burn it out faster? And is the starter relay in ze box?

Really appreciate the help with diagnostics btw. Y’all are awesome and hella funny lol
Old 09-21-2022, 07:38 AM   #14
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Okay so did a thing. I tested the voltage of my battery again yet this time (about two hours later and using my light inside my car to crank while checking starter) it was 12.53v, and dropped to 12.34v when trying to start the car. Still nothing other than the typical humming, no sound coming from starter. I haven’t tested the little wire yet so I’m gonna do that tomorrow and get back to you guys. Would that indicate a wiring issue inside the car? Like to the radio or something? Because whenever I try to start it everything shuts off for a moment then turns back on but it’s been like that since I got it. Also, is the clutch switch for only the car starting? I live in LA and traffic can be buttcheeks, pushing the clutch in and out frequently. Maybe that could burn it out faster? And is the starter relay in ze box?

Really appreciate the help with diagnostics btw. Y’all are awesome and hella funny lol
Take the battery in for a load test. Pretty much any larger parts store can do it. If it is dropping out then coming back on you may have a battery issue even though the voltage looks fine.

Nobody has asked yet but is the car all stock? No headlight, taillight, HU etc swaps?

The relay is #45 in the attached diagram. There are also a couple of fuses. #21 under hood and #14 under dash. If it is so intermittent it could be the relay.

https://www.autogenius.info/scion-fr...e-box-diagram/

Last edited by Tcoat; 09-21-2022 at 07:56 AM.
Tcoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
#trannyfluid #newclutch