follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 07-27-2020, 01:54 AM   #71
mav1178

Drives: 2005 Toyota Camry
Thanked 6,093 Times in 3,029 Posts
Mentioned: 95 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfWings View Post
If anyone spots this and wants to take theirs to an even better daily-driver setup, especially if you got one used so it has worn-out suspension right now, this combination is really, Really, REALLY good IMHO.
The other "really really good" combo is the Showa spring/shock setup, mild lowering but way better shock assembly.

Glad these worked out for you.
mav1178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2020, 07:28 AM   #72
why?
Only happy when it rains.

Drives: series.blue
Thanked 1,263 Times in 749 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Lowering is bad. I scrape on all sorts of stuff and my car is stock. I finally was able to drop my car off to get these springs installed, going to go with blistein b6 as the shock. Along with weight reduction I'm hoping to finally have a car that won't scrape in the rain gutter mountains of North Carolina.
why? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 08:34 AM   #73
WolfWings

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium, Blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Sorry I didn't update yesterday, ended up having to cut my drive short to help a friend with some things so I didn't have a chance to really test things on gravel/dirt yet.

Final heights (center of wheel to fender) are 15 3/8" front and rear both; yeah it got rid of the front/rear difference, and yeah I measured parked in two different spots to make sure I was parked level, same both times. So just shy of a full inch higher all around after things settled in.

As I had some ask in PMs while I was slow to post, the lifted-truck shop I took it to for the install said the suspension install was the easiest they've seen, everything just bolted right together with zero struggle at all from what they said. They were able to get it to factory alignment specs, so I haven't explored tweaks from stock configuration yet until after I've gone and trounced around off-asphalt more.
WolfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfWings For This Useful Post:
why? (08-04-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 09:22 PM   #74
WolfWings

Garage
And as a final update, finally had a chance to go hit up a bunch of gravel and dirt roads that I know well, and know the limits of the car on pretty well.

Final setup turns washboard roads into rumble strips, is the best way I can describe it. Interior isn't jouncing around all over the place, and places I felt like I was losing control even trying to get to 25 before are smooth cruising at 30 and skittish around 32-35 now since the whole car isn't being tossed about.

Also much more comfortable on a decently banked for drainage gravel-over-hard-packed-dirt road I know. I used to have to watch my line like a hawk on that stretch and the roughness of the road made it a PITA to feel what I was doing but now I could feel the whole car shift over and dive into the corner a lot more easily.

I really need to book some time at the local banked dirt oval, and go with someone with more experienced lingo, as I'm realizing I'm encountering things now that I lack proper terminology for. And someone with more experience will likely have good suggestions on how to tweak the alignment better than 'stock' does.

And that's the last update I'll stick on this thread, sorry if I spammed folks up a bit.
why? (08-04-2020)
Old 08-02-2020, 11:30 PM   #75
bubs

Drives: 2015 BRZ
That was an interesting thread. Can i ask one more question? What made you choose the TRD rally dampers over say a Billy B6?
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2020, 03:00 PM   #76
WolfWings

Garage
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubs View Post
That was an interesting thread. Can i ask one more question? What made you choose the TRD rally dampers over say a Billy B6?
Initially I'd been looking at the full TRD Rally set, but the spring rates were in the OMGWTFBBQ range to lift the car despite being shorter than stock springs.

I've "caught air" in a car sometimes before on back roads or even just having one wheel to flop to full extension briefly, so the shorter springs made the Rally springs a no-go from my initial research and personal experiences as at full extension they could leave the perch.

So it was more the Chuhatsu springs addressed what I felt was my one reason not to get the TRD Rally set, so I took the plunge. That and the Rally absorber set was actually (even with shipping) less than the various stores around me wanted for a full set of B6's.

And yes the fact the color more-or-less matches my car decal colors is also a nice bonus.

Last edited by WolfWings; 08-03-2020 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Typo spotted in a word.
why? (08-04-2020)
Old 08-03-2020, 03:57 PM   #77
bubs

Drives: 2015 BRZ
Right on, yeah the color looks pretty rad on the TRD kit.
bubs is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bubs For This Useful Post:
WolfWings (08-04-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 10:51 PM   #78
MilkyWitness

Drives: 2019 Pure Red BRZ with PP
Hey so I want to get these Chuhatsu springs for my 2019 BRZ. I was going to pair them with a 1" Anderson Design lift, but saw Anderson also has a 2" lift as well...would ya'll suggest the 1 or 2 inch? My intentions are just to build a rally style BRZ, something that can actually drive on a bit of off road because I hike and camp a lot.

Also would be my first time installing springs and the lift spacers, I will watch a lot of tutorials about how to do it but anyone have any quick tips to make me not hate my life while doing it? I have all the tools except a spring compressor which I hear I need?
MilkyWitness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 02:46 AM   #79
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
How much lift is in your intentions? If just one inch, i'd change just springs.

If more, then i'd probably would install not more as 1" lift spacer on top, as just like there are issues with overlowering car, expect there to be issues with overlifting, eg. suspension geometry changes that might need correcting (eg. roll center correction), diff lowering (in lifting case) to not increase CV joint wear.

After lift spacer and spring install, just for any case i'd take car for suspension alignment. At different height imho toe may get out of whack.

Of course, any car can be lifted insanely high, but not sure it's worth doing on cars very far from offroad purpose. After all, doing properly, eg. with proper rally suspension/coilovers, is VERY costly, but doing just with lift spacers .. there might arise unexpected issues as mentioned above regarding geometry & CV joint angle. And with spacers travel stays same. With longer springs you exchange compress with droop travel, not gain some. Ground clearance increase will not do much for geometrical clearance of front & end of our cars. Engine protection pan is still rather flimsy (not sure you want heavy thick aluminium pan & other covers, or expensive CF of those as in some rally cars for underside protection). If car is not made for purpose .. better just don't drive unwisely too deep offroad. As some say, the more offroad-ish car is, the longer the walk to tractor to tow out it. Even stock our cars are reasonably driveable over reasonable gravel or snow roads. As to where they are not .. just don't drive it there, instead of bastardizing it with mods too much.
I have car at stock height, and was able to drive fine on normal countryside gravel roads. Slight ground clearance issues i saw only with parking over some higher kerbs, or in winter on few unplowed icy/snowy road with deep iced tracks or in very deep snow it takes little sense to drive in anyway, as shape of our front bumper will mean it won't go over, just dig in with lip like bulldozer and accumulate snow pile ahead. Drive it stock and be reasonable where & how. Or at most do just spring upgrade. Rest, like lift spacers .. i'd rather not.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 12:07 PM   #80
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,241 Times in 2,962 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
1 inch lift from the springs and 2 inches from a spacer for 3 inches total is massive. Actually rally BRZs aren't that high.

For my rally-x car I'll be sticking with our rally springs (about 15mm or 0.6 inches lift) and that's it. It's enough clearance, a nice bump in compression travel, and doesn't totally screw up suspension geometry.

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 02:37 AM   #81
tekno

Drives: Transit Campervan / Turbo GT86
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to open up a new one. Been searching for a few days for a place to order these springs, but the only web shop coming up through the searches is frsport.com, does anyone know other places where I can get them from? the closer to europe the better...

Got all the other bits of my suspension setup, just need the springs so I can install everything...
Attached Images

tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tekno For This Useful Post:
x808drifter (10-03-2022)
Old 10-05-2022, 05:06 PM   #82
Spawn_Of_Creation
Human

Drives: 2015 BRZ Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by tekno View Post
I know this is an old thread but I didn't want to open up a new one. Been searching for a few days for a place to order these springs, but the only web shop coming up through the searches is frsport.com, does anyone know other places where I can get them from? the closer to europe the better...

Got all the other bits of my suspension setup, just need the springs so I can install everything...
You could always try the WTB section in the classifieds.
tekno (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 03:23 AM   #83
tekno

Drives: Transit Campervan / Turbo GT86
tried, got contacted by two scammers...
placed an order on japans amazon, even if they're out of stock, maybe the seller will come through...

my oem shocks are beaten, they knock at the slightest bump on the road, can't stand driving the car anymore...
tekno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022, 04:24 AM   #84
ffh2303

Drives: BRZ 2013
Hi everyone, would these springs work with the Showa Tuning Evolution shock absorbers?
https://showa-tuning.com/evolution/

I already have the Showas on order and was planning to use them with 25mm lift spacers to get the ground clearance that I need, but I would prefer to use them with these springs to get the ground clearance and suspension travel.
ffh2303 is offline   Reply With Quote