follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 12-19-2021, 08:24 PM   #43
blueskiesgreenlights

Drives: 2020 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'm relatively optimistic that I'll get the job done to my own (perfectionist) standards. I'm taking my time and enjoying the process.

I started the learning curve on that right front woofer and remember questioning some procedures. Also, after working 10-12 hrs brain fog sets in and I'm apt to make a mistake.

I did swap out the output channels and got the same results. I'm a big fan of the YouTube channel "Car Audio Fabrication". The host stated something about a lesson on running speaker wire through the rubber tubes between the door and the body of the car. I had a heck of a time with this task and it might be the source of my problem. Thus, the plan to switch out the speakers.

Sounds like you were way ahead of your time using a computer in a car to manage sound signals. I know that I speak for many on the forum in expressing my gratitude for your knowledge.
blueskiesgreenlights is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to blueskiesgreenlights For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (12-19-2021)
Old 12-19-2021, 10:45 PM   #44
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,672 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
these toyota/subaru door tubes are some of the worst ever. i mean, they sized it right for what they needed on the production line, but chevy, mitsubishi, etc, sized them about 2-3 times larger.

after a more than generous donation to the swear jar, i gave up on running my wiring internally, and routed my wire through an 'x' in the grommet on both sides to seal it up.

but i'm using this for speaker cable, because every time i went to the local shops for 12ga speaker wire, i felt like it was actually about 18ga wiring.. just never felt right, like it gave up on current carrying for ease of install...
https://www.parts-express.com/Audtek...-1-ft.-100-482

know another guy that i believe did the same thing on his is300. gold94corolla

i was in the middling times. i came in on the tail end of a few other people, there was a one, went by redgtivr6 that was the carpc audio moderator at the time, was putting together a complete competition realtime SQ build, though it faded quickly due to the rules requiring direct playback from a cd, and tech just not being there yet. it was near the first year introduction of the audison bitone, for the first couple years, SQ builds literally couldn't even get judged unless they had a bitone installed. mp3car.com, but only on the wayback machine anymore, it faded out of existence around 2010-ish.

you can also test the wiring with an ohmmeter. 4 different ways.

disconnected at both ends, check for no continuity,
then twist the wires together on one end and should get nearly zero ohms.
then test the speaker, should get close to 4 ohms.
and lastly, connect the speaker to the wire, and should get the same resistance at the other end.
Old 01-03-2022, 10:24 PM   #45
blueskiesgreenlights

Great Success!

An usually warm December allowed me to finish the stereo upgrade project. The sound improvement is nothing short of incredible.

For those considering this endeavor I'd encourage you to do so if you have the time, patience, and tools. My objectives were to maintain the factory look, upgrade the sound quality, and minimize costs.

I was lucky in the sense that the Sony XS162es tweeters fit perfectly in the factory dash woofer mount. I bought them from Crutchfield who, although there research claimed the Sony woofers wouldn't fit, I was able to manage a secure mount with the speaker bracket they recommended. Their staff and YouTube videos were very helpful.

I could write a thesis that would take a couple of hours to read and had considered a YouTube video series on the project but there are many well documented postings created by talented and better informed people than me that I elected to post some photos and provide some tips that I came up with myself.

I wanted the Audio Control ACR-3 but didnt' want to interfere with the factory look so here is a before and after look at a solution. The ACR-3 flips down when needed but is easily hid when it is not.

The factory amp was removed and two of the three studs were used to secure the shelf. The top foam section was removed and I drilled holes in the shelf to use the plastic fasteners to secure the center and right side of the shelf. I wanted to keep the spare tire but I had to use a jig saw to cut a rounded space in the shelf to provide the space. This photo covers the amps, crossovers, and fused power block. This is the final result.

A few tips and tricks

1. KnuKonceptz offers an excellent 0/1 awg wire and fused power block.
2. Individual 0/1 ring terminals are about $10 a piece. The same EBay seller that offers them at that price also offers a 10 pack for open bid. I got 10 for $10.
3. My understanding is that Harbor Freight offers a auto battery crimping tool for about $100. A cheaper option is to pound the stripped wired as far into the ring as possible then clamp half of the tube in a vise and hammer it to a right angle. Then reposition the terminal so that the ends of the right angle can be clamped together.
4. I was anxious about removing the door but it is really not that difficult.
There are plenty of YouTube vids on the subject. The most difficult part for me was fishing the speaker wire through the rubber boot that connects the door to the car body.
5. I was able to use about a three foot wire, make a small loop to tie the speaker wire to, and then GENTLY guide the wire through the boot. There is a small plug about mid way through the boot. It is wrapped in electrical tape making it difficult to pass the wire through this barrier. I found the rubber boot to be easily removed and re-attached to the plastic ring to make the process manageable.
6. Binge watch Mark on Car Audio Fabrication. The guy's a genius.
7. Get a digital mult-meter.
8. The gap between the Basser Box and the foam tire tool holder is too narrow for the trunk floor and mat. Rather than cut them I shaved about a half an inch from the bottom of the foam so that they have room to slide under the Basser Box.
9. Here's a list of must have tools and accessories.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://smile.amazon.com/Preciva-Hex...s%2C550&sr=8-1

I found the Positaps to be particularly useful as I had no desire to splice wires behind the head unit.

I could not have done this without the help of soundman98, FR-S2GT86, Laura at Audio Control, the good folks at Crutchfield, Mark at Car Audio Fabrication, the YouTube community, as well as the many generous, knowledgeable people of the web who posted insightful articles. Thank you!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blueskiesgreenlights For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (01-04-2022), soundman98 (01-03-2022)
Old 01-03-2022, 10:51 PM   #46
soundman98

great to hear!

so where were the issues you were experiencing?
Old 01-04-2022, 04:25 PM   #47
blueskiesgreenlights

Human error. It was only after eliminating the amp, speaker, crossover, and speaker wire that I concluded that it had to be a bad splice I made in the wire. Upon pulling that section of the wire I noticed that I had crossed the wires at the crossover - the woofer wire was connected to the tweeter and tweeter to the woofer.
The Following User Says Thank You to blueskiesgreenlights For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (01-04-2022)
Old 01-04-2022, 05:32 PM   #48
soundman98

easy to do! glad you got it all figured out!
Old 01-04-2022, 06:38 PM   #49
FR-S2GT86
Master Collaborator

Drives: Was '15 FR-S, 6MT, Now '15 GT86
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueskiesgreenlights View Post
Human error. It was only after eliminating the amp, speaker, crossover, and speaker wire that I concluded that it had to be a bad splice I made in the wire. Upon pulling that section of the wire I noticed that I had crossed the wires at the crossover - the woofer wire was connected to the tweeter and tweeter to the woofer.

And you didn't blow a tweeter? Lucky!

Glad to hear it all worked out for you.
Count to muffens and call again.
I’m 40. So....... say hi to your sisters or daughters.
FR-S2GT86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2022, 07:38 PM   #50
soundman98

as long as the levels were kept low, and on-time was minimal, there really shouldn't be any long term damage from the mistake other than his pride

Tags
sound deadening, stereo upgrade, stock amp