follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 09-04-2015, 12:53 PM   #29
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike the snake View Post
I can suggest getting leather gear. Fabric gear literally grabs the road when you crash. Leather skips and slides.

I crashed (hit sand in a turn-highsided in a very bad way) and my fabric padded riding jacket bunched right up to my neck on both arms when I hit the street doing my Superman impression. I was wearing jeans, so my knees and legs got messed up. Leather pants would have MAYBE left me bruised.

I was wearing leather gloves with short gauntlets, they flew off while I was rolling, get LONG gauntlet gloves.

I was wearing leather shoes, they flew off as well while I was rolling on the ground. Wear leather boots.

If I'd been wearing the correct riding gear, i would have walked away, instead, I broke many bones, feet, hands, elbow, lots of road rash.
The one time I wrecked I was wearing Fieldsheer textile jacket, Fieldsheer textile overpants, British Motorcycle Gear full gauntlet winter leather gloves, Alpinestars boots and a Shoei helmet. This was under 10 mph turning left into my parking lot at work and I hit a patch of black ice. 06 JAN 2009, 17F. I went down on my left side and the bike took off on the frame slider, did a 180 and hit the curb which destroyed the front fairing, windscreen, mirrors, left clip on, tank and tail.

Padding on the palms of one of the gloves was torn off but there was a layer underneath Left knee of overpants the upper seam blew out completely like a balloon popping. Again, padding and layer underneath protected me. Jacket was very slightly abraded but was perfectly usable. Helmet didn't touch the ground thank the motorcycle gods as it was only two days old. Boots were fine as my hip is what took the impact.

I clicked the accident counter from 0 to 1 that day for my base. Because in this case it was truly an accident (there was nothing I could've done short of having IR vision).

Now I say all this because textile (i.e. fabric) gear can absolutely keep you safe - but where it differs from leather is in its ability to keep you safe more than once. Leather garments are more durable and are usually repairable. The hole you see in my pants below the left pocket is where my house keys were in my outer pocket. That was the only bruise I had.

Old 09-07-2015, 10:39 PM   #30
e30kawi

Drives: CWP limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I had bought a cbr250 so my wife could ride and I ended up keeping it as a commuter bike for a couple years. Fun bike, great starter bike. Once you get tired of it, sell it for what you paid. I picked up a used Yamaha FZ07 a few months back. Fantastic bike, enough power to keep you interested and its churning out 54.5mpg with a 220# man on it.
e30kawi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to e30kawi For This Useful Post:
phobos512 (09-08-2015)
Old 03-30-2016, 09:38 PM   #31
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Figured I would ask some questions here after reading through this thread instead of starting a new one:

Background Info

-26 years old, no tickets, pretty responsible person - basically not a 17 year old who isn't mature enough yet to know not to do very unsafe things with a new bike

-I am taking a basic rider safety course at a community college hopefully this May that allows me to get my license without a DMV exam

-I plan to buy all the right gear (helmet jacket pants gloves boots)

-I am absolutely obsessed with Ducati Monsters. I think they are beautiful and it is by far my dream bike. I am not interested in getting the fastest bike or the best. I am sure there are tons of pros and many cons to this bike but I am unable to set my eyes on anything else. I love the style of a naked bike and this is eventually what I want to buy.

Questions
Lot of my research online points to buying used smaller bike like a Ninja 250 as a new rider. If I eventually plan to buy the Monster is it worth the cost of getting this type of bike first and then selling, or is it pretty easy to not take a loss on the resale?

Having never owned a bike before, if I do go with the option of buying a used Ninja, should I just go to a dealer to make sure I am not getting something damaged? In your experience what should one look out for when buying a used bike?

Final question - I have lower back problems from a accident several years ago. Is the riding position of the Ninja 250 much more uncomfortable than that of the Monster? Are you leaning forward quite a bit more?

Thanks for any insight!
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2016, 11:38 PM   #32
Packofcrows
hey you, yeah you <3

Drives: 2014 37J FR-S
Thanked 1,258 Times in 809 Posts
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by covance View Post
Figured I would ask some questions here after reading through this thread instead of starting a new one:

Background Info

-26 years old, no tickets, pretty responsible person - basically not a 17 year old who isn't mature enough yet to know not to do very unsafe things with a new bike

-I am taking a basic rider safety course at a community college hopefully this May that allows me to get my license without a DMV exam

-I plan to buy all the right gear (helmet jacket pants gloves boots)

-I am absolutely obsessed with Ducati Monsters. I think they are beautiful and it is by far my dream bike. I am not interested in getting the fastest bike or the best. I am sure there are tons of pros and many cons to this bike but I am unable to set my eyes on anything else. I love the style of a naked bike and this is eventually what I want to buy.

Questions
Lot of my research online points to buying used smaller bike like a Ninja 250 as a new rider. If I eventually plan to buy the Monster is it worth the cost of getting this type of bike first and then selling, or is it pretty easy to not take a loss on the resale?

Having never owned a bike before, if I do go with the option of buying a used Ninja, should I just go to a dealer to make sure I am not getting something damaged? In your experience what should one look out for when buying a used bike?

Final question - I have lower back problems from a accident several years ago. Is the riding position of the Ninja 250 much more uncomfortable than that of the Monster? Are you leaning forward quite a bit more?

Thanks for any insight!
250 is not good for highway. Get a 500cc and up imho. Ninjas? Just get a Vulcan. Id buy it. Cruiser bike is your friend until you feel comfortable. Imho
Dadhawk (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 12:21 AM   #33
Irace86
Banned

Drives: BRZ + Ducati M796
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by covance View Post

Questions

Thanks for any insight!
My first bike was a Kawi 636. Not the best decision. No huge regrets, but if I had to do it over again I would buy a used 250 in a sport riding position--not a supersport position. Something like 95% of people drop their bike in their first year. Whether that is a tip over or a crash, the statistics aren't good. I was hit lane sharing, and lost control another time on a bad road with gravel. Nothing more than a few stitches and a broken clavicle between the two, but lessoned learned. Part of it was the bike, and the inexperience. A 250 is much lighter and has a less aggressive riding position, besides less power. My buddy rides two up on his wife's Kawi 300 all the time even though he has a Kawi zx1400r. Power isn't everything. If you are interest in the Monster then you understand that. And don't worry, you will likely sell for the same price even if you add a few thousand miles on a used 250.

Just buy a low milage used 250. No worries. You can get a late model low milage for $2-3k or less if you go older. Just make sure it wasn't dropped. Check for replaced parts, road rash, odd noises, signs of fluids or odd wear. All the usual stuff.

You can get a Rebel or other bikes that have a more upright position. Go try them out. I can say that my Monster feels a hell of a lot better than my 636 did, even with the clip ons.

Just a note: I wouldn't buy a Ducati for a first bike, so get the 250. The 250 will have a smoother, more linear and more predictable power band. The monster will sound and feel better in every way, but you need tools to handle the midrange torque and quarks that it has. Also, if you live in a place like Sacramento like I used to, that is open and windy with long stretches of straight highways, you may want a bike with fairings. If you are like me who now lives in the wine country with miles of curvy roads everywhere that are amazing then eventually you must get the Ducati!

Irace86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Irace86 For This Useful Post:
covance (03-31-2016), Dadhawk (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 01:12 AM   #34
bcj
Geo Tyrebighter Esq

Drives: '13 scion fr-s
Thanked 4,981 Times in 2,197 Posts
Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Garage
Kawasaki 250 and newer 300 are very upright. They come with regular bars across the top.
They hold their values well on the used market as long as they are well maintained.
Red line on the new ones is 14k, old ones 15k. Fun when wound up.

A neighbor had a 95 900 Monster he got down in Oregon for $2500. He had to have it.
Kind of rustles the jimmies thing and had a lot of fun with it.
It was a carburated bike though and was always having to d1ck around with it.
Turns out the needles had ovalized the emulsion tubes and would never be the same without new carbs.
He finally sold it and got a Multistrada with fuel injection.

Another bike to look at would be a Suzuki SV650. They're going for about the same as a 250/300.
It's a 90 degree L twin that comes as a naked with bars or faired with clipons.
99-02 have carbs, but 03 on are injected. Would recommend injected.
Then you can get your Monster when it's just not enough.

I've got an 03 naked that is going to be another long term bike.
Last one was an 83 Honda Nighthawk 650 that I had for 23 years. Carbs finally.
I like my SV a lot. Good low end torque, perfect for stop n go city traffic. It goes to 11!
It's almost as good as a monster, but a lot cheaper initially and for parts later. Engine braking and blip downshifts. Live it.

You will get best value for a used bike as a private sale, but you have to know what to look for and how much to fix it if it's not right.
A dealer may let you bring it back for 30 days, but don't count on it getting better spontaneously.

Tires over 5 years old definitely need replacing. There are codes on the sidewalls. $300+ for a new set of adequate tires.

A good resource for checking out used SVs was written up, but a lot of it applies to all used bike shopping.

mad8vskillz' SV650 "Good Dealz" Buying Guide
Old 03-31-2016, 01:47 AM   #35
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
First off please dont say google. I know and i am. I just thought there are automotive enthusiasts here and would like to put in their knowledge.

Basically my work schedule has been shit this year and ill have 2 - 3 weeks consecutive vacation soon. I want to make the focus of it getting my motorcycle license and buying a bike. This will be in about a moth from now.

Where should i look for getting some lessons? How is the license exam? Do i buy one before i go to exam? Insurance? Gear?

All input and advice appreciated.
I suggest you take the MSF course, get really good safety gear- full face helmet, top quality gloves, boots, etc., then buy a beater bike. An older Honda, for example. Or almost any Japanese bike. An older 883 Sportster is also a good starter bike. Although any street bike has enough power to get you in very serious trouble very quickly, the bigger bikes have power you have never dreamed of, and which you very likely can't control yet.

You WILL at least drop your bike, and the odds are pretty good that you'll realize riding a bike isn't for you. Perhaps it will be on the freeway when you're cruising next to an 18 wheeler going 70, and you imagine what your corpse will look like if you get trapped under it. So the loss on a beater will be minimal if you change your mind, or upgrade.

If you've never ridden, you don't know what kind of bike you want yet. So take it slow, get your feet wet with an older beater, and then see where you go next. And get really good safety gear.

One strong suggestion- buy Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist, and its iterations. Lots of great info, and although I imagine there might be others out there as good, it's pretty much the gold standard.

Cheers
Dadhawk (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 02:03 AM   #36
joe strummer

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustySocket View Post
People will not see you on a bike, they will turn left in front of you, they will pull out in front of you, they will rearend you at stoplights. Ride like you are invisible and that everyone is out to kill you.

Again, get signed up and take the MSF class. When you complete it sign up and take it again the next year.
The best advice on this thread. Please pay attention to it. Tattoo it on your forearm if you have to.

Again, you are invisible, and they are trying to kill you, with 4,000 pounds of steel traveling at high speeds. The soccer mom might be sorry, but she'll be telling your next-of-kin.
Dadhawk (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 06:46 AM   #37
RichardsFRS

Drives: 2013 Pearl White 6MT
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Most folks I know start at the Harely shop. Go there and ask about motor cycle classes. They will have them posted also. Most classes, you use their bikes, but you'd best have your own bike for the test. I don't ride but I know a lot of folks that do
Old 03-31-2016, 07:27 AM   #38
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
First off please dont say google. I know and i am. I just thought there are automotive enthusiasts here and would like to put in their knowledge.

Basically my work schedule has been shit this year and ill have 2 - 3 weeks consecutive vacation soon. I want to make the focus of it getting my motorcycle license and buying a bike. This will be in about a moth from now.

Where should i look for getting some lessons? How is the license exam? Do i buy one before i go to exam? Insurance? Gear?

All input and advice appreciated.

You can p.m. me if you like... (I know this post is a little old).
I've owned multiple bikes, gone racing and have instructed from beginner to track school level for over 10 years.

I can't give you much info about your licence requirements, but when it comes to riding technique, gear etc, I am sure I can help you out.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 AM   #39
86 South Africa
POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Drives: White Toyota 86 (Scion FRs)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe strummer View Post
I suggest you take the MSF course, get really good safety gear- full face helmet, top quality gloves, boots, etc., then buy a beater bike.

One strong suggestion- buy Keith Code's Twist of the Wrist, and its iterations. Lots of great info, and although I imagine there might be others out there as good, it's pretty much the gold standard.

Cheers

MSF is excellent!

The above advice in a nutshell is good - and Keith Code's book is great, but I'd just add - only once you know the basics and have at least a little experience (so you can relate better to the advice in the book)!
Dadhawk (03-31-2016)
Old 03-31-2016, 08:43 AM   #40
covance

Drives: 2015 BRZ series.blue
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for all the input! Looks like unanimous suggestion is not to start with the Ducati and that I should not lose money on reselling a starter bike. Appreciate the input on bikes and their seating position as well!
covance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 09:49 AM   #41
ButeraFRS

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Didn't know there were so many riders on this forum. Nice. I'll see if I can stick around on this thread and answer some questions as well.

Ride safe.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 03-31-2016, 11:19 AM   #42
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
My advice:

Unless you have a mechanic friend or someone that is very experienced with motorcycles avoid trying to buy used unless its from an authorized dealer. More people than not wreck their bikes and then turn around and sell them. You need to be very astute and know what your looking for when buying a used bike.

As for first bike I'll throw out 2 recommendations:

That Ninja 250/300 is great but a Yamaha R3 is what really catches my eye. Sporty bike that rides more upright and is comfortable. It plenty for street and highway (will easily to 100+).

If you want a little more power without going over the top look at the Yamaha FZ-07. Super great bike that is cheap and offers plenty of power. Its a winner all around.

As for a Ducati Monster, that is a lot of bike and not cheap.
I almost bought a 821 myself, they are sooooooooo damn sexy.
But I read that for commuting they are not that great. They get too hot and the exhaust wraps around underneath the seat and right near your calf.
Lots of complaints about the bike being very hot and uncomfortable unless you are constantly moving.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote