follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics

BRZ Second-Gen (2022+) -- General Topics General topics for the second-gen BRZ

User Tag List

Old 07-30-2022, 04:02 PM   #57
PhatFreshPrince

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited SBP
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
40-500hz is a more typical/expected crossover range. most sound systems are usually crossed over around 80-200hz between the subwoofer and midrange speakers. and most 2-way door speakers have their own built-in crossovers for the tweeters.

so there's really just no need for the crossovers need to span a much larger range most times, especially if they can undercut their competitors on component costs by going with the more standard speaker arrangements.
Thanks for your help, but I decided to go with OEM Audio Plus when it comes out.

I had a scare trying to my upgrade my system, and it scared me straight. I really did everything backward. I ordered speakers and replaced the 3.5" dash speakers and tweeters. Then I replaced the 2-ohm door speakers with 4-ohm speakers. This lost a lot of the bass, so I was unhappy with it. I replacing back the 2-ohm factory speakers in the doors. Then put the 6.5" speakers in the back replacing the 3.5" factory speaker. There was little to no improvement to the back speaker setup. I then bought a 4-channel amp to help drive everything. As I was installing everything, I was checking what wire in the back of the head unit go where. The two front channels were simple. It was two wires for the front left and two for the front right. The back channels seem weird. I disconnected two wires expecting one of the back speakers to turn off, but they didn't. They both drop their volume down as if they were both little coin speakers in an old computer.

Well, the scary part was as I was trying to figure out what was going on I shorted one of the speaker's wires to ground. Then my head unit did not come on and I had no sound. I found two blown fuses but it did not seem to help. It was late that day, so I went to bed and got back to it in the morning. Needly to say I did not sleep at all that night! Well, the next morning I Googled the code I was getting and it was an ASC code. I did have my ASC unplugged, so I plugged it back in and restarted the car and the head unit came up and worked fine, but the A/C controls were still out and not working. This ended up being me putting a replacement fuse not back in the right slot in my tired state after dark that night. Well, I was so relieved to get my car working, that I ripped out everything and put it back to factory. Then, I returned everything that could.

Funny, how I thought the quotes from local shops around $2,500 and OEM Audio Plus at $1600 seemed way too high to pay. After my ordeal, I will gladly pay the $1600 and take comfort in the fact that I will do the work myself and know it will be done right.
PhatFreshPrince is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to PhatFreshPrince For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 04:09 PM   #58
PhatFreshPrince

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
OEM Audio Plus has confirmed they are working on a system for the 2022, planning a spring 2022 release..

Seems it was the defacto standard for quality audio in the previous gens..

https://www.ft86club.com/forums/show...ight=OEM+Audio
I contacted OEM Audio Plus a few weeks ago and now they are saying "Our complete System will begin shipping Aug-Sep with preorders opening up prior." You cannot pre-order yet, so maybe they will open them up next month.
Old 07-30-2022, 07:05 PM   #59
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
as they say, "the part might only cost $50, but knowing how, where, and having the tools to put it there costs $950!"
PhatFreshPrince (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:08 PM   #60
OkieSnuffBox

Drives: '23 BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,230 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhatFreshPrince View Post
Funny, how I thought the quotes from local shops around $2,500 and OEM Audio Plus at $1600 seemed way too high to pay. After my ordeal, I will gladly pay the $1600 and take comfort in the fact that I will do the work myself and know it will be done right.
Yeah, when I was younger I used to do that stuff. This was late 90s while I was in high school. Stuff like getting a larger 240sx throttle body on my 88 300ZX, doing my own stereo work, etc. Or in my 20s all the work it took to do an OBD-1 S52 swap in my E30, etc.

Now that I'm a bit older, I completely understand the value of buying stuff explicitly designed for the platform and/or is Plug-N-Play.

I'm getting so lazy, I'm even considering letting the Subie shop here in town install all my suspension stuff.
PhatFreshPrince (07-31-2022)
Old 09-24-2022, 09:59 AM   #61
PhatFreshPrince

I got the speaker kit from OEM+. Here is my take on it. The highs seem crisper and the lows don't distort as bad. For just the speaker kit, it is a little high-priced. I am willing to pay it though, to get plug-and-play for everything and knowing they picked these speakers to work with their sub. I think the real improvement will come with the amplifier and DSP that comes with the subwoofer. Then the sound will be filtered correctly and amplified. I expect to see the sub on their site any day now.
Check out my video where I install the speakers and then do a before and after comparison with the stock and OEM+ speakers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PhatFreshPrince For This Useful Post:
AK2112 (09-24-2022), mike2100 (09-25-2022), MikeNSX2 (09-24-2022), PNW Shaggy (09-29-2022)
Old 09-25-2022, 06:10 PM   #62
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
I expect to see the sub on their site any day now.
I just checked their site today because I received my speaker kit this week as well.

They have pushed the amp/sub stuff out until December.
mike2100 (09-25-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 04:39 PM   #63
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
I'm trying to not bug companies too much lately with "is it ready yet?" type requests buuuuuttttt.... anybody heard any update from OEM Audio+ yet on if the current December ETA is going to stand or get pushed back again?
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to otter For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (12-06-2022)
Old 12-06-2022, 06:47 PM   #64
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by otter View Post
I'm trying to not bug companies too much lately with "is it ready yet?" type requests buuuuuttttt.... anybody heard any update from OEM Audio+ yet on if the current December ETA is going to stand or get pushed back again?
Nope.

Did you sign up for the email update? I can promise you they are in the business of making money and will update everyone interested as soon as they have something to share.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:26 PM   #65
otter

Drives: 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Yes but I'm impatient. I also have pretty mixed results when just waiting for companies to tell me when they're ready to ship in the car parts world.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 11:53 AM   #66
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Yes but I'm impatient. I also have pretty mixed results when just waiting for companies to tell me when they're ready to ship in the car parts world.
Then email them? This isn't quantum physics.
Old 12-19-2022, 04:21 PM   #67
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Just for you, I emailed them earlier this week and got the "not yet, have you signed for our email list for updates?"

So you're going to have to sit tight or go custom. Even the original 6-speaker upgrade was late. The sub/amps got pushed from Sept to now, I won't be surprised to see them pushed until Feb/March considering the next two weeks are Christmas and NYE.

This is just like when I told people that just because Ecutek had cracked the ECU didn't mean tunes would be available soon. And look, all the big tuners are still in beta testing and like I said, I didn't figure tunes would be available until 2023.

If the email got caught up in your spam/junk folder, email them and they can give you the link to the upgrade for the two amps and sub for the rest of system.

It's a bit pricier than I was hoping, but I went ahead and ordered it this evening since I have the front six speakers (not installed yet) and want the entire system.

Last edited by OkieSnuffBox; 03-02-2023 at 07:01 PM.
OkieSnuffBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2022, 10:10 PM   #68
PhatFreshPrince

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Then email them? This isn't quantum physics.
I emailed them back on 12/12/2022, and they said "our current estimate is sometime in February, hopefully sooner if things go well."
I am not holding my breath because every time I ask them it is just 2 months out from being released.
Old 12-25-2022, 06:17 AM   #69
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
I emailed them back on 12/12/2022, and they said "our current estimate is sometime in February, hopefully sooner if things go well."
I am not holding my breath because every time I ask them it is just 2 months out from being released.
It's almost like I said exactly that without them telling me. Check my previous post.
Old 03-02-2023, 07:01 PM   #70
OkieSnuffBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
Just for you, I emailed them earlier this week and got the "not yet, have you signed for our email list for updates?"

So you're going to have to sit tight or go custom. Even the original 6-speaker upgrade was late. The sub/amps got pushed from Sept to now, I won't be surprised to see them pushed until Feb/March considering the next two weeks are Christmas and NYE.

This is just like when I told people that just because Ecutek had cracked the ECU didn't mean tunes would be available soon. And look, all the big tuners are still in beta testing and like I said, I didn't figure tunes would be available until 2023.

If the email got caught up in your spam/junk folder, email them and they can give you the link to the upgrade for the two amps and sub for the rest of system.

It's a bit pricier than I was hoping, but I went ahead and ordered it this evening since I have the front six speakers (not installed yet) and want the entire system.
soundman98 (03-03-2023)