follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 04-10-2019, 11:50 PM   #15
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I can't say I've never wanted the car to have more power, there are certainly those times...... The times I garage the 86 and take the S1000RR out

1.8 seconds on that bike and all the fuss over trivial little power differences in cars become rather humorous
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to xdavidx For This Useful Post:
why? (04-12-2019)
Old 04-10-2019, 11:53 PM   #16
xdavidx
Emperor McDuck

Drives: 2019 86 GT; 2018 BMW S1000RR
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezive View Post
I drove a manual and took it to 7k RPM 1st-3rd gear about 3 times.

This was the problem. You need to wring its neck out. Run her up to redline every time and you totally avoid the torque dip. Those last few rpms make a much bigger difference in these cars than most because of where it starts you at in the rev range when you shift. Sort of like the s2000 in that regard, but not as extreme.
xdavidx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2019, 02:58 AM   #17
BRZBlack

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ
Garage
If you are still on the fence, maybe I can chime in here.
I have had my BRZ since 2013 and I still frequently find myself saying "I love this f-ing car". Out loud. Just driving casually.
I have also had the pleasure of driving some more high-powered vehicles like a 2017 Mustang GT350, 2016 Corvette Stingray, and extensive seat time in a 2006 C6 Corvette with an A&A Supercharger making 600whp. I know what power feels like, and I still prefer to drive my BRZ.
As an earlier poster said, this car really shines when you are above 4500 RPM. It takes some effort to drive smoothly but it is rewarding when you are able to pull it off.
I do however feel a little sad when I switch from one of the above cars back to my BRZ and hit the gas pedal. But all that goes away in a few minutes... and I still say out loud "I love this f-ing car".
BRZBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BRZBlack For This Useful Post:
bhmax (04-11-2019), imprezive (04-12-2019)
Old 04-11-2019, 07:02 AM   #18
Prodigalson
NotNewToImports

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ WRB PP
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
I have owned 46 cars. My favorites were the '78 Trans Am, a '04 GTO, a '99 FRC Corvette, a '97 Prelude, and more recently a Mazdaspeed3 and a Mazdaspeed Miata.

As a daily driver, the only car I enjoyed as much was the Corvette. I absolutely love driving the BRZ. Even stuck in stop and go traffic, the car is rewarding to drive. Freeway on/off ramps are a thrilling. Even previously mundane right and left turns are an opportunity to enjoy being behind the wheel of a fantastic car. I cannot believe just how much I enjoy driving this car. Fast, slow, aggressive, passive, any style at all is a treat.

My advice is to absolutely go for it. Ignore the temptation to mod the car, at least for awhile. Learn to appreciate it for what it is, and how to use the car to its full potential . Then, armed with that knowledge, tweak it to your preferences.
Prodigalson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Prodigalson For This Useful Post:
HKz (04-12-2019), imprezive (04-11-2019), why? (04-12-2019), xdavidx (04-11-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 06:36 PM   #19
COBlue

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited PP
IMHO off the line power/torque is fun for 3 seconds (and EVs will beat the pants off any muscle car anyway) then who cares; this car is always fun. Almost makes me look forward to driving to work. And it works for Costco runs and mountain biking with the back seats down.
(Ok, yes, a little more HP out of the turn to the straight on the track would be nice, but I'll still take the light handling over the HP.)

Last edited by COBlue; 04-12-2019 at 06:48 PM.
COBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 07:39 PM   #20
Sgaldi

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Premium
I love my BRZ...I guarantee if you buy it you will too, have had mine for around a week and have t had any buyers remorsse At all, makes driving fun
Sgaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sgaldi For This Useful Post:
imprezive (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:46 PM   #21
finch1750
Undisputed El Presidente

Drives: Zenki 37J ZN6
Thanked 9,397 Times in 5,261 Posts
Mentioned: 374 Post(s)
Tagged: 33 Thread(s)
I've put 161k on my FRS. Used to have a 150 mile round trip commute. Took it to Vegas from Northern CA (near Sacramento) and make the 300+ mile trek to LA multiple times a year.

Favorite car I have owned to commute in so far. My others were: 05 STI, 07 Mini Cooper, 05 MR2, 99 Honda Accord.

"Just like how a strut bar somehow enables you to corner 20MPH faster around a cloverleaf on-ramp, when the reality is, you can do it already but you just don't have to balls to do it." - CSG David
finch1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to finch1750 For This Useful Post:
imprezive (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #22
DandoX
Senior gif poster

Drives: 2013 Asphalt FRS
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Was my '13 FRS the most financially smart choice NO. Was it the most practical choice NO. Was it a good investment NO. Have I ever regretted buying it NO!

If I went back in time I would do the same thing again. I live with my heart not my wallet.
DandoX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:04 PM   #23
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by imprezive View Post
I drive about 25k miles a year. 90% of the driving is on straight Florida highways. If I buy the BRZ, I'll probably AutoX it 2-4 times a year. Not to be competitive,just for fun. I might take it up to GA/NC maybe once a year. Besides on-ramps, I'll rarely get to enjoy the handling prowess that makes it such a special vehicle.
Different people have different definitions of a "daily driver," so maybe my perspective will be useful. I also drive about 20K-25K miles per year on Florida highways (down from 30K miles the first year I had it in Louisiana). I live north of Tampa, and my work territory is bounded by a line between Northport and Melbourne at the bottom and the time zone line in the panhandle. I spend 100+ nights per year in hotels. I take back roads when I can. I think I hate I-4 more than any other highway I've ever driven. It reminds me of the freeway in The Matrix Reloaded.

My drivetrain is stock. My mods are mostly for comfort, with the exception of wide rims and a Corsa exhaust. I installed an FR-S sliding armrest, a padded knee rest (2014 didn't have that stock), a slightly deeper steering wheel, shoulder belt sleeves/pads and a phone mount I fabricated myself. I also carry an As Seen On TV cupholder that slides in between the passenger seat and the transmission tunnel to solve the coffee issue.

I wouldn't wish for any other car. It's economical. With my mileage reimbursement, I actually make money on the car. I find it comfortable for long distance driving, especially with my mods. It's big enough to carry a suit bag and a laptop bag. I can carry a colleague if necessary, but it gets me out of having to be the carpool when a group wants to go to dinner after work. I consider it the perfect car for my requirements, both extremely practical and fun.

It has also saved my ass many times over. That great handling you don't think you'll use on Florida highways comes in handy when you need to dodge assholes and road hazards. It may have even saved my life a couple of times on I-4. I know it has saved the lives of a couple of turtles. And handling like it does, it's great in downtown Orlando and Tampa when I have the misfortune of having to negotiate an urban environment. This car has a marvelous ability to zip around in traffic.

I also find the more "live" feel of the car a lot less tiring on long drives. I have a direct comparison because I rent cars once per month when I work in Texas. The mushiness other manufacturers think is more "comfortable" actually leaves me exhausted.

As for power, I have another vehicle that will blow the doors off this one. While that's fun, I don't miss it out on a road trip. The BRZ has more than enough power in stock form to do what needs to be done. As I mentioned above, I have a Corsa exhaust, which really wakes up the car and makes it seem faster (even though it isn't really). Since I'm not in high school and have nothing to prove to ricers in shitty Hondas on I-4, the balance of performance in this car is perfect for me.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to extrashaky For This Useful Post:
AJ32162 (04-12-2019), dowroa (04-16-2019), imprezive (04-12-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:20 PM   #24
mintyfresh
LA Bron

Drives: ‘15 WRB BRZ
Got 2015 limited brz with 30k miles
Not comfortable for long rides, but tolerable
Stock tires suck
Has decent space if you drop the rear seats down.
Went a bit out of my budget to purchase

Worth every penny.
Will be even happier once I install headers and get e85 tune to remove dip and get around 250-260 hp to the crank(basically wrx numbers)
mintyfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 08:29 PM   #25
Sgaldi

I think the 2018 BRZs are pretty comfortable, before I bought the BRZ I went to look at a 86 and right when I sat in it I told the sales guy “this is really uncomfortable” and he pretty much said it’s a spirts car what do you expect, then went to check out the BRZ and when I sat in it I was really surprised how comfortable it was compared to a 86
Old 04-12-2019, 08:38 PM   #26
ls1ac

Drives: BRZ, Noble M400, AC-LS7,1956 AC
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
I am very lucky to have high horsepower cars, very fast cars, track cars, and race cars. My DD is the BRZ and I find myself smiling a lot of the time. I can turn hard, shift hard, and spend time with my right foot flat on the floor. The others have there place but on the street they need extreme concentration not to get in trouble either control or with the law.

By the way the "torque" dip is really not a dip but not increasing at the same rate. It is really only noticeable in a strait line with your foot on the floor. A good tune will reduce that feeling.

This car will not make you any money street racing, very few street races turn corners. It will get on the freeway with no problem, it will not pass a truck quickly. But you probably should have waited for more space anyway.

I personally did put a Sprintex 210 on it, but really I just like to play with my cars. I am faster than the FRS down the street, but that is not saying much.

At the track I was way behind a well setup NA car. I am stock except for the 210 and a louder exhaust. The reason for the louder is to hear when to shift with other loud cars around you. Too busy looking where I am going and who is around me to look at a tack, anyway I like the song.
ls1ac is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ls1ac For This Useful Post:
dowroa (04-16-2019)
Old 04-12-2019, 08:57 PM   #27
j3rf

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgaldi View Post
I think the 2018 BRZs are pretty comfortable, before I bought the BRZ I went to look at a 86 and right when I sat in it I told the sales guy “this is really uncomfortable” and he pretty much said it’s a spirts car what do you expect, then went to check out the BRZ and when I sat in it I was really surprised how comfortable it was compared to a 86
That's strange, there isn't anything different about the seats between the two.

j3rf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 09:02 PM   #28
Sgaldi

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3rf View Post
That's strange, there isn't anything different about the seats between the two.
Weird I test drove the limited version of the 86, but bought the premium BEZ and to me the seats are 100x more comfortable