follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #1
7tune-Adam

Drives: Subaru STi Forester
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exclamation FT-86 Scoop by 7tune. Car coming in Nov. 2011

Guys, I think you all need to come over to 7tune and read the real news on what is going on with this car.

I was invited by Toyota to a very exclusive event on Wednesday and got a chance to talk with the people right at the center of this cars development. That is the people who are at the very top of the chain in the company.

I think I was the only foreign guy there out of about 20 other Japanese guys. Toyota is definitely looking after me.

I have the proper information on this as it stands - you can take heart. There's good news on the horizon and the car is on time and will be basically unchanged.

Here is the link

http://www.7tune.com/news-scoop-the-...and-unchanged/

Good news FT-86 fans. I was invited as one of the only foreign journalists to attend a press day on Wednesday where the JDM only Noah and Voxy Minivans were being showcased by G’s, the sports vehicle oriented arm of Toyota Japan. The FT-86 though, didn’t take long to come up in the conversation…

Most importantly, Toyota held the strictly invite only event not only to show off the G’s upgrades to their people movers but also to offer access to some of Toyota’s innermost engineers and sports department managers.

This presented an ideal opportunity to discuss Toyota’s involvement in the current market and inevitably, questions regarding the FT86 surfaced quickly.

A private 20 minute question and answer session I had with Dr. Shigeyuki Hori, Project General Manager for the Sports Vehicle Management division and Kazuo Okino, Group manager for the same division uncovered a number of promising pieces of news.

I can confirm that the cars development is on schedule and that the reports for the cars release in 2013 are erroneous. Toyota reiterated its intent to release the car by the previously appointed date, in November 2011. I can also confirm that the car is approximately 50% complete with the target price remaining steady for the mid level spec FT-86 at approximately 2.5 million yen ( approx. $29,000 USD ). One can only speculate at the moment what the base grade spec and price will be and no mention was made of the price for the top spec model but one can be led to guess this will involve a turbocharged motor.

While on the subject of turbocharging, Hori san and Okino san both confirmed that discussions were still being held and nothing had been decided yet. Both were hesitant to provide any confirmation on the radical Gazoo Racing model that wowed the world at last years Tokyo Auto Salon. It needs to be remembered that G’s is ostensibly a street car oriented arm of Toyota and as such the cars will be basically stock power wise with most of the modifications coming in the way of aesthetic changes and suspension, chassis and brake upgrades.

But take heart – the Voxy and Noah concepts at Wednesdays conference appeared in almost exactly the same configuration as the cars that were displayed at the TAS last year. This bodes well for the FT-86.

Another interesting fact about the cars development is that it will remain virtually unchanged, design wise. Okino san was clear in his remarks when he said that the FT86 will only be modified in regards to its aesthetic parts, namely items relating to the body but the overall shape will not change.

One last piece of news that is sure to bring some relief, was the comment made that a hybrid version was not being considered for the FT86. Hybrid technology is indeed being considered for the sport car segment but in another form of car. This car is most likely to be the new Toyota Hybrid sports concept.

Later in the day, the Chief Officer for Toyota’s Motor Sports Division, Tadashi Yamashina, held an exclusive round table conference for the assembled journalists of which 7tune was privy to.

One of the journalists at the conference reminded Yamashina san that there is a very high level of anxiety amongst the public over the FT-86, to which Mr Yamashina replied categorically that the cars development was on schedule and that because of Toyota’s connection with Subaru, there was no way that the car wasn’t going to be great. Read from that what you will but it is clear that Toyota is holding this hand very very close to its chest and is intent on releasing news and coverage on the car when it feels the time is right.

Who can blame them really? This is one of the most anticipated cars to come from Japan in over a decade, so Toyota and its members are quite within their right to be guarded with information.

I was very encouraged by the positive signals coming from within the organization and the general tone appears to be one of positivity in the changes taking place.

I would like to personally extend my thanks to the Corporate Communications Department personnel, and Toyota as a whole, for offering 7tune the opportunity to be a part of this important conference.
7tune-Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:08 PM   #2
[es vi: eks]

Drives: Subaru Legacy
Sounds very promissing I hope it stays on track.
[es vi: eks] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:32 PM   #3
CyberFormula

Drives: gti, nsx, integra type r,porsche911
$29k?

i know conversion rate won't be exact...but that car better come with Twin turbos for that price.
CyberFormula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
e10rice
Long Waiting Member

Drives: '07 2.0T Passat,'92 Civic dx,'08 xb
Wow, it hard to believe that yes come november 2011 this car will be out on the streets, maybe not the U.S. streets first but on the street non the less. I cant wait. Way to go 7tune for coming out with some credible information.
e10rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 03:42 PM   #5
R_E_L
He's got this.

Drives: 50th Anni BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFormula View Post
$29k?

i know conversion rate won't be exact...but that car better come with Twin turbos for that price.
well thats the mid level option, plus here in the US it will be cheaper, so its very possible to see the base level option come in at that low $20000 price we've been hoping for.

i'm definitely more at ease knowing toyota realizes the importance of this car for reviving their image. looks like it's still on for 2012
R_E_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 07:11 PM   #6
Burrcold

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Thanked 1,586 Times in 776 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Definitely some good news (at this point ANY news will do).
Old 07-23-2010, 08:11 PM   #7
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
good info...i can relax now and continue to save for my down payment.

If they are intent on a Nov 2011 release date that fits with a production car reveal at next years Tokyo Motor Show in the fall. This also means we will probably see a Subaru concept sometime this auto show season maybe at LA or NY (subie has a history of showing STi's at NY auto show). good times...

Last edited by zigzagz94; 07-23-2010 at 08:44 PM.
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #8
RRnold
2 wheel member

Drives: JZA80, 997.1, Taco
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tune-Adam View Post
Thanks for the update Adam!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFormula View Post
$29k?

I almost pulled the trigger on a '10 370z Sport Pkg and that thing was about 30K w/out any turbos. Where do you assume that with a 29K price tag it should be turbo'd?

While on the subject of turbocharging, Hori san and Okino san both confirmed that discussions were still being held and nothing had been decided yet.
Old 07-23-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
zigzagz94
BRZerhood Lurker #13

Drives: 15 DGM BRZ Premium
Quote:
I almost pulled the trigger on a '10 370z Sport Pkg and that thing was about 30K w/out any turbos.
me too
zigzagz94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 09:36 PM   #10
Toyota86

Drives: 96 Celica
Thats a huge weight off my chest. Now the money part.
Toyota86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:22 PM   #11
Matador
hashiryu

Drives: Mk4 Supra
F'king A.

Now can we get a base price of $24k max please? Thanks.
Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #12
Midship Runabout
formerly Dixie Normous

Drives: The ladies wild!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tune
Another interesting fact about the cars development is that it will remain virtually unchanged, design wise. Okino san was clear in his remarks when he said that the FT86 will only be modified in regards to its aesthetic parts, namely items relating to the body but the overall shape will not change.
So hopefully just losing all the CF bs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7tune
One last piece of news that is sure to bring some relief, was the comment made that a hybrid version was not being considered for the FT86. Hybrid technology is indeed being considered for the sport car segment but in another form of car. This car is most likely to be the new Toyota Hybrid sports concept.
Thank god

Midship Runabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
serchmarc

Drives: TRUENO jdm hatch/retrac lights

>>>
serchmarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 12:58 AM   #14
overvolting

Drives: Integra type-r
I don't care if they turbo it. I can do that myself and make much more power than them. Just release it nice and cheap.
overvolting is offline   Reply With Quote