follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine Swaps

Engine Swaps Discussion of engine swaps.

User Tag List

Old 01-22-2023, 10:05 PM   #1569
hedtrip

Drives: 2013 toyota 86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
What did you end up using for the isolator? I tried a rubber isolator thing with a stud on each side but McMaster failed me.
It is really just a Bolt with 2 rubber o rings so the intake can move around

hedtrip is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to hedtrip For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (01-23-2023), funkjaw (01-22-2023), RedReplicant (01-23-2023)
Old 01-23-2023, 07:09 PM   #1570
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkjaw View Post
Figured out the issue:
The Kpower fuel pump ECU bypass connector is warped on the pin for the red wire due to excessive heat. This was causing the power to the fuel pump to be intermittent as the male and female pins were losing connection due to the heat warp.

I'll email Kpower to see what they say, but I will likely just permanently solder the wires together or maybe put in a delfi connector as they are a lot more robust than the Kpower connector.

As for the TPS codes I'm not really sure why there were present, but to be safe I threw in my Bosch 74mm TB anyways.
Interesting find. When you say intermittent, do you mean you could hear the fuel pump turning on and off, cycling quickly or flicking on? What do you think caused the heat like was it resistance in the connector not making a full connection like running high amps through a small wire?
Old 01-23-2023, 10:08 PM   #1571
moosefro

Drives: K24 2014 brz
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Just an update on the grounding issue in sensors that @RedReplicant found. I was going to implement the fix over the weekend but found that my oil sensor was already grounded to AC1 pin 34. My calibration data for it was just way off, so once that was updated it worked as expected.
For reference, my kit was delivered at the end of October 2022 so people with newer kits might not have to DIY their harness.
moosefro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to moosefro For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (01-24-2023), funkjaw (01-27-2023), Irace86.2.0 (01-23-2023), RedReplicant (01-24-2023)
Old 01-27-2023, 05:00 PM   #1572
RedReplicant

Drives: None
Thanked 1,214 Times in 517 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
That's good news, I'd heard they hired a new wiring dude over there so it is nice to see they're getting stuff sorted out.
Old 02-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #1573
funkjaw

Drives: 16' WWB
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Bosch 74mm TB update

For those curious, here's an update on the Bosch 74mm TB I threw on about 1000 miles ago...

Initially after install the idle was really high, so as RedReplicant suggested I changed the max dbw open from 6% to 3% and that immediately fixed the high idle (although it's possible after some time the haltech would have just fixed the idle on it's own). Other than that it required zero changes to the tune: drivability and WOT performance are perfect right off the bat and if the Haltech self correcting logic made any changes I definitely didn't notice while driving around.

As far as performance it definitely feels like it has a little more oomph from the butt dyno, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do before/after dyno tests because of the nature of my situation dealing with tshooting my no start issue.

Anyways this is a great plug and play solution for those looking to do a cheap upgrade for a couple more ponies, even on an unopened junkyard engine like mine.

Bonus: I also replaced the K&N air filter that comes with the swap kit with a Mishimoto Powerstack Air Filter. I did this because the Mishimoto is larger with an open center section; figured this would give both better airflow and go longer between cleanings vs the K&N. It's tight, but it fights.

Parts list:
Bosch 74mm TB
Kpower TB Adapter
Kpower Bosch Jumper Harness
3" to 3.25" coupler
Mishimoto Powerstack Air Filter - 3" Inlet, 5" Filter Length
funkjaw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to funkjaw For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (02-01-2023), Kelse92 (02-02-2023), RedReplicant (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #1574
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Drives: 14 FRS K24 swap - SOLD
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I was told that in order for the Haltech to learn the new throttle, the idle must be below 3k RPM or similar so it won't ever learn without the adjustment that RedReplicant mentioned. I can't recall if that's specific to the base tune we received or just Haltech in general though.

I've had mine installed for a few months now as well and the only thing I'd add is that the Kpower rubber gasket is atrocious for this application. I hand cut a gasket to replace it since I didn't trust what little amount there is to actually seal the TB to the adapter.

Quote:
For those curious, here's an update on the Bosch 74mm TB I threw on about 1000 miles ago...

Initially after install the idle was really high, so as RedReplicant suggested I changed the max dbw open from 6% to 3% and that immediately fixed the high idle (although it's possible after some time the haltech would have just fixed the idle on it's own). Other than that it required zero changes to the tune: drivability and WOT performance are perfect right off the bat and if the Haltech self correcting logic made any changes I definitely didn't notice while driving around.

As far as performance it definitely feels like it has a little more oomph from the butt dyno, but unfortunately I didn't get a chance to do before/after dyno tests because of the nature of my situation dealing with tshooting my no start issue.

Anyways this is a great plug and play solution for those looking to do a cheap upgrade for a couple more ponies, even on an unopened junkyard engine like mine.

Bonus: I also replaced the K&N air filter that comes with the swap kit with a Mishimoto Powerstack Air Filter. I did this because the Mishimoto is larger with an open center section; figured this would give both better airflow and go longer between cleanings vs the K&N. It's tight, but it fights.

Parts list:
Bosch 74mm TB
Kpower TB Adapter
Kpower Bosch Jumper Harness
3" to 3.25" coupler
Mishimoto Powerstack Air Filter - 3" Inlet, 5" Filter Length
captain awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
funkjaw (02-01-2023), RedReplicant (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:16 PM   #1575
RedReplicant

Make sure you limit your Bosch TB, I will have to check my tune later but it reaches 90* at much less than 100% commanded throttle.

I've heard from a couple of people that vibration kills these Bosch TBs, so if you notice the car starting to hesitate under acceleration out of nowhere I'd suspect the gears in the TB.

I SUSPECT that it'll help with the TB bolt issue since there is like 1.5" of coupler flex with the Bosch versus like .5" with the BRZ TB.

I'll post the TB settings I ended up with after my tuner went over the car later.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:26 PM   #1576
funkjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedReplicant View Post
Make sure you limit your Bosch TB, I will have to check my tune later but it reaches 90* at much less than 100% commanded throttle.

I've heard from a couple of people that vibration kills these Bosch TBs, so if you notice the car starting to hesitate under acceleration out of nowhere I'd suspect the gears in the TB.

I SUSPECT that it'll help with the TB bolt issue since there is like 1.5" of coupler flex with the Bosch versus like .5" with the BRZ TB.

I'll post the TB settings I ended up with after my tuner went over the car later.
I'm running TB map that was posted a while back to limit the factory TB... didn't think to check that with the new TB. I'll do that once it's not hailing here in Austin and report back.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to funkjaw For This Useful Post:
captain awesome (02-01-2023), RedReplicant (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 01:28 PM   #1577
captain awesome
Wears Pants

I'm interested in how you guys set that up. Unfortunately my tuner has some of my settings invisible or locked so I'd just have to forward on the info to get mine tweaked.
Old 02-01-2023, 03:05 PM   #1578
RedReplicant

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
I'm interested in how you guys set that up. Unfortunately my tuner has some of my settings invisible or locked so I'd just have to forward on the info to get mine tweaked.
Yeah, when I looked at your map a while ago there is a lot locked behind a passcode.

In Haltech NSP:
Engine Functions -> Drive By Wire -> Max TPS
Type in 93.0 if you have a single cell here, otherwise put 93.0 in every one.

Also make sure that your Engine Functions -> Drive By Wire -> Pedal to Throttle has 100% at 100%.

Engine Functions -> Idle Control -> stuff under here has a bunch of changes but 3% max is your bandaid before a tuner can get to it and see if anything else needs messed with.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:43 PM   #1579
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Does anyone happen to recall the part numbers that came with the heater hose kit from Kpower? I think I have the wrappers with part numbers in my Kpower boxes, but they are in the attic and I'm at work. I'm not in a hurry, just gathering part numbers to keep for future maintenance if I'm on the side of the road.

Edit: Nevermind I found the part numbers. One is NLA so that is neat.

Last edited by captain awesome; 02-07-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-09-2023, 10:48 AM   #1580
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
“We had issues with throttle bodies falling apart, sensors failing and intake manifolds cracking,” says Smedegard. “With the K24 having a longer stroke, it made a lot of harmonics, especially the higher you rev it. Most places that make intake manifolds don’t set their manifolds to be braced back to the engine–you just mount it to the mounting flange, and that’s it. We braced the intake manifold, which greatly reduced a lot of the harmonics that the throttle body sees and the sensors mounted on the intake manifold.”

As pointed out by RedReplicant earlier about the intake vibes that ASM was experiencing, I decided to make an intake brace. I hammered some 3/4 steel tubing flat on the ends, drilled some holes, and good to go. The two bolt holes that are typically used for a throttle cable bracket and a threaded boss on the block connect the two. It's probably not an ideal angle but has to be better than nothing.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to captain awesome For This Useful Post:
endless_pain (02-10-2023), funkjaw (02-09-2023), hedtrip (02-11-2023), Irace86.2.0 (02-09-2023), Kelse92 (02-09-2023), RedReplicant (02-09-2023)
Old 02-09-2023, 11:33 AM   #1581
funkjaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome View Post
As pointed out by RedReplicant earlier about the intake vibes that ASM was experiencing, I decided to make an intake brace.[.......]
That's dope man. Was thinking of doing something similar - will likely just have the honda shop fab one up when I drop my car off for the 4piston head install in two weeks.

Let us know if you think it's doing something...
Old 02-09-2023, 12:32 PM   #1582
captain awesome
Wears Pants

Quote:
That's dope man. Was thinking of doing something similar - will likely just have the honda shop fab one up when I drop my car off for the 4piston head install in two weeks.

Let us know if you think it's doing something...

I think it's doing something but hard to say. The angle of my bracket is the only thing that I'm unsure about. It seems solid though.

The fact that the OEM intake had a brace makes me think it's needed whether ASM says so or not. Until it was brought up I didn't think much of it, but now I can't see a reason to not run one.