follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting)

Cosmetic Modification (Interior/Exterior/Lighting) Discussions about cosmetic mods.

View Poll Results: Would you buy an aero Kit designed by me?
Yes, I would if i was considering a kit. 82 43.16%
No, I would not buy a kit from you if i was considering a kit. 16 8.42%
No, I am not considering a kit. 35 18.42%
Undecided, Not Sure if I want a kit or not 17 8.95%
Undecided, I am considering a kit but I would like to look at my options first. 40 21.05%
Voters: 190. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

Old 03-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #113
Moshpit37
FR-S Owner!

Drives: 2013 FR-S Ultramarine 6AT
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Stumbled upon this thread last night at work but couldn't see the images. Now that I'm home and see what you've created, I'm reconsidering my plans to purchase the FR-S over the BRZ. That is one sexy bodykit WoW!
Moshpit37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 11:23 AM   #114
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDM-dono View Post
any updates on the frs kit? don't want this thread to be forgotten
FRS kit draft is still sitting on my desk..i haven't touched it in a few weeks. Kinda annoyed at some of the lines iv chosen. But ill get back to it ASAP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshpit37 View Post
Stumbled upon this thread last night at work but couldn't see the images. Now that I'm home and see what you've created, I'm reconsidering my plans to purchase the FR-S over the BRZ. That is one sexy bodykit WoW!
Muwhahah join the BRZhood!
Old 04-20-2012, 11:09 AM   #115
eight_six

Drives: None
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
well i love the looks of it, i just personally feel that youre going the wrong way by widening the back more than the front. this cars whole purpose is a balanced chassis, many people will put staggered wheels and tires, especially with a kit like this, but imo that will ruin the cars balance.. i understand not every one cares, but just a fyi, you may be loosing some market share in going for a staggered kit
eight_six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 11:39 PM   #116
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by eight_six View Post
well i love the looks of it, i just personally feel that youre going the wrong way by widening the back more than the front. this cars whole purpose is a balanced chassis, many people will put staggered wheels and tires, especially with a kit like this, but imo that will ruin the cars balance.. i understand not every one cares, but just a fyi, you may be loosing some market share in going for a staggered kit
a staggered wheel setup is completely up to the modder. And can effect balance in both good and bad ways. But thats not up for me to decide. At anytime you start to modify the car's suspension and wheels you always risk destroying the factory balance. This truth does not stop people from doing it because it may be necessary for an individuals goals.

For the purposes of the demo, iv added the staggered setup because i wanted to demonstrate a more agressive stance for those looking for a solution to the stock 5x100 +40 offsets. But beyond that its anyones game.

If someone were to have a 300whp BRZ, and to put down that power would require something like a 17x10 on 245/40/17 in the rear.. Do you think that same person would use 17x10 up front as well? Most likey not because trying to turn a 10in wide wheel its retarded and messes up everything.

Thats just a possible scenario.

Now if you don't want to use a 10inch wide wheels and are not putting down 300whp then theres no reason for you to get the wider fenders. you can just get my front bumper and side skirts and rear valance and be done with a 18x8 +30 all around with a slight drop. And it would look killer.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:46 PM   #117
ahausheer
Re-member

Drives: Toyota camry
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Perhaps whole kits are out of the realm of most, but that reverse fender insert is far better than stock and I would absolutely buy it.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:02 AM   #118
eight_six

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
a staggered wheel setup is completely up to the modder. And can effect balance in both good and bad ways. But thats not up for me to decide. At anytime you start to modify the car's suspension and wheels you always risk destroying the factory balance. This truth does not stop people from doing it because it may be necessary for an individuals goals.

For the purposes of the demo, iv added the staggered setup because i wanted to demonstrate a more agressive stance for those looking for a solution to the stock 5x100 +40 offsets. But beyond that its anyones game.

If someone were to have a 300whp BRZ, and to put down that power would require something like a 17x10 on 245/40/17 in the rear.. Do you think that same person would use 17x10 up front as well? Most likey not because trying to turn a 10in wide wheel its retarded and messes up everything.

Thats just a possible scenario.

Now if you don't want to use a 10inch wide wheels and are not putting down 300whp then theres no reason for you to get the wider fenders. you can just get my front bumper and side skirts and rear valance and be done with a 18x8 +30 all around with a slight drop. And it would look killer.
Well, me personally if I were to run a 17x10 on rear, it would be with a 255 not a 245, and yes I would run a 17x10 up front because I don't want a car that plows through corners with massive understeer.

Now I understand everyone has different taste and goals but I think you took my post a little out of context. If you took it offensive or incorrectly it wasn't meant to come off like that. It's called constructive criticism and IMO as a business owner you could have handled it better.

But hey like I said.. Kit looks nice, but if the front was wider (to fit that 17x10 better you know) you'd probably have a few more buyers for it..

Cuz hey, if they want the wider rear, they don't need to get the front right? And just run an 18x8+30 and it will look killer
Old 04-21-2012, 12:37 AM   #119
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:
Well, me personally if I were to run a 17x10 on rear, it would be with a 255 not a 245, and yes I would run a 17x10 up front because I don't want a car that plows through corners with massive understeer.
why would a vehicle suddenly have massive understeer running a slightly lesser wheel width than the rear? an inch or 1/2 inch smaller is pretty standard for most tuners. Even for SuperGT/JGTC performance cars also running staggered 18x8.5+20 and 18x10.5+10 on the NSX Prime.

Quote:
Now I understand everyone has different taste and goals but I think you took my post a little out of context. If you took it offensive or incorrectly it wasn't meant to come off like that. It's called constructive criticism and IMO as a business owner you could have handled it better.
Whoa whoa whoa, im just replying to your post. I didn't take any offense to anything you said in your comment. Now your trying to call me out on me not talking constructive criticism? uhh...what?

Quote:
But hey like I said.. Kit looks nice, but if the front was wider (to fit that 17x10 better you know) you'd probably have a few more buyers for it..

Cuz hey, if they want the wider rear, they don't need to get the front right? And just run an 18x8+30 and it will look killer
Thanks for the compliment on the looks. So far from my understanding the car in stock form can safely 19x8.5 +45mm front & 19x9.5 +35mm rear without rolling fender and still have a 1/2 inch of play either way.

An additional 30mm upfront is more than enough to get the wheel specs more people will need without braking the bank. and additional 50mm rear will ensure theres space for those who want that +0 offset.

Its a low cost street kit..and its gona be tailored for individuals with minor to moderate mods.

+50mmF +50mmR or +80mmF +80mmR just for the fenders is not something thats going to be cost effective and from my experience with widebody supra and rx7 guys they never fill a +50mm up front.

My old shop has sold more staggered setup wheels than non-staggered setups in the 9.5 range. So am i loosing potential buyers? not at all, unless your looking for a solution to fit 18x10 +0 all around. Then I cant help you for the purposes of this particular kit.
Old 04-21-2012, 12:49 AM   #120
eight_six

Quote:
why would a vehicle suddenly have massive understeer running a slightly lesser wheel width than the rear? an inch or 1/2 inch smaller is pretty standard for most tuners. Even for SuperGT/JGTC performance cars also running staggered 18x8.5+20 and 18x10.5+10 on the NSX Prime.
well thats a whole different car. that car is set up for a staggered setup. the ft86 is setup squared. so any additional rubber in the rear will induce more understeer. i know theres ways to tune around this but like i said. many people wont want to run staggered

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar
Whoa whoa whoa, im just replying to your post. I didn't take any offense to anything you said in your comment. Now your trying to call me out on me not talking constructive criticism? uhh...what?
i apologize then, it just seemed like it came across that way. my mistake

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment on the looks. So far from my understanding the car in stock form can safely 19x8.5 +45mm front & 19x9.5 +35mm rear without rolling fender and still have a 1/2 inch of play either way.

An additional 30mm upfront is more than enough to get the wheel specs more people will need without braking the bank. and additional 50mm rear will ensure theres space for those who want that +0 offset.
thats cool, 30mm is more than enough. if you can offer it in stages, instead of just a whole kit then thats great. get the front widened only if you want non staggered wider wheels and get front/rear if you want staggered.

Quote:
Its a low cost street kit..and its gona be tailored for individuals with minor to moderate mods.

+50mmF +50mmR or +80mmF +80mmR just for the fenders is not something thats going to be cost effective and from my experience with widebody supra and rx7 guys they never fill a +50mm up front.
never said anything about going that wide.. so thats cool, most people wouldnt be able to utilize anything that wide effectively.

Quote:
My old shop has sold more staggered setup wheels than non-staggered setups in the 9.5 range. So am i loosing potential buyers? not at all, unless your looking for a solution to fit 18x10 +0 all around. Then I cant help you for the purposes of this particular kit.
and selling more staggered setups than non staggered is normal. most rwd cars are set up staggered. theres hardly any that arent.. the ft is one of them that isnt. just because you sell so many more staggered wheels doesnt mean its right for this car.

appreciate the time you took in answering this and sorry for the misunderstanding. really only meant this as something that could possibly help you out to be more successful with the kit.. because like i said, i WOULD buy it, but the wider rear is the deal breaker for me.. so are you losing potential buyers? yea im one of them. .however.. if it is available in a way that you can get it stock width (which you already mentioned) or if you could get just the front fender (which i assume is possible) then thats cool then. when it comes out, i may take a second look at it

Old 04-21-2012, 01:01 AM   #121
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Quote:

appreciate the time you took in answering this and sorry for the misunderstanding. really only meant this as something that could possibly help you out to be more successful with the kit.. because like i said, i WOULD buy it, but the wider rear is the deal breaker for me.. so are you losing potential buyers? yea im one of them. .however.. if it is available in a way that you can get it stock width (which you already mentioned) or if you could get just the front fender (which i assume is possible) then thats cool then. when it comes out, i may take a second look at it

Cool man! no worries misunderstandings happens all the time. Its the internet you cant really hear my voice through the screen...or can you?

Thanks for the tips and criticisms though. I really want to offer this kit in separate pieces to better serve a wider range of tuners especially those who like to mis-match. So people who don't like my front bumper..and just want to run their own LIP or other aftermarket lip..but like my sideskirts..its there for them. And people who like the entire kit will get a discount if you buy all 10pcs.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:18 AM   #122
eight_six

Quote:
Cool man! no worries misunderstandings happens all the time. Its the internet you cant really hear my voice through the screen...or can you?

Thanks for the tips and criticisms though. I really want to offer this kit in separate pieces to better serve a wider range of tuners especially those who like to mis-match. So people who don't like my front bumper..and just want to run their own LIP or other aftermarket lip..but like my sideskirts..its there for them. And people who like the entire kit will get a discount if you buy all 10pcs.
Sounds good man that's the way to goI
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM   #123
Snoopyalien24
Mr. Sarcasm

Drives: 2016 VW Jetta TSI Sport 5-Speed
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Yep, I will deff be interested in your front bumper and side skirts. But wheels come first! Ahh the mula!
Snoopyalien24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 06:49 PM   #124
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

tteeaaaaaaasssssserrrrrr!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

now in FRS flavor.

My recent work specifically for the FRS/GT86 is a solution for those who want a complete makeover for their ZC6. This particular kit is geared towards individuals who want a more aggressive look, and want a bit more complexity to their car.

With this kit, i have changed the attack angle of the nose, and covered the entire portion of the front bumper guard. So only the main air dam is exposed and not the internals. The Front splitter is an integrated into the design so it is not a real functional splitter, however it does provide an anchor point for those who want an aggressive splitter option. Iv moved turn signals outwards and opened up a side air inlet for those who want a brake cooling option. The OEM fog laps have moved inward.

The hood and sideskirts are still pending, but the design is still in works.

I will be designing just a lip that goes with the FRS soon for a low cost option for people who want to stay OEM but be more aggressive.

Last edited by WingsofWar; 05-29-2012 at 07:57 PM.
WingsofWar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WingsofWar For This Useful Post:
sirus (05-30-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 07:01 PM   #125
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
love the hood, the fenders and the side skirts! Very awesome! I am no wheres near that talented!

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:03 PM   #126
ESBjiujitsu
MUST HAVE MORE 86 ! ! !

Drives: Mazdaspeed 6 2.3 AWD Turbo
Garage
Quote:
As some of you know, I am designing some aero that will hopefully be produced for the BRZ and FRS. Many have seen my work, and while iv mostly done my designs and art as a hobby. This will be my first full design i wish actually make some profit from even if the vendor who will manufacture and supply the aero is still pending.

While i wait for my design team to get together, i figured id make a thread just to get some consensus from the forum (you consumers) and for those who are looking into buying some aero for their BRZ or FRS.

**For those commenting** Please be constructive and express your thoughts and feelings and concerns clearly. I may or may not answer your posts. All posts are being read and considered by my design team and myself.

Lets start off with Sample 1,

This kit is going for a traditional look, focusing on more OEM type qualities. Putting more aggression and simplicity to work rather than flamboyant flaps/wings/and vents.

-The Front bumper shape is virtually unchanged from the factory bumper. However i have tightened up the front air damn for more popular style found in the current impreza/GTR/Evo. Iv have also added a 3inch carbon lip that can attach to this modified or stock bumper.

-Sidesteps have a simple 3in drop with a carbon rear splitter.

-Quarterpannel and Fenders have been oversized 10mm and 20mm to fit larger 5x100 with lower offset wheels.

The entire kit gives the illusion of having a lower car while keeping near stock ride height. Which was inspired by RWB built Porsche 911.

This car features a Titanium Silver, Hyperblack Advans, ProjectMu big Brake Kit, and a carbon mirror.

WIP1

-----------------------------UPDATE 1-17-2012----------------------------------

Alright fellas the first kit of 6 designs is nearing its final rough draft. And i want to show you my teaser poster before moving on. So let me guide you through this kit iv called Paladin.

What I wanted to do was offer an aero design that was simple and had a classic look, while retaining near factory characteristics. At the same time unique in its own right. By not over complicating the design, the Paladin line could be the cheapest of the series.

-The front fascia has had its main air dam compressed and the top guard opened up for more air. As well as intake chamber air inserts at the eyes of each headlight for function AND aggressive looks. The Front lip can be used on the Paladin Bumper, or your stock bumper.

-The front fenders overall design has been unchanged except for the increased width of 30mm. By leaving a portion of the fender concaved behind the wheel arch I had hoped this will allow air pressure to escape from the wells during spirited driving. Iv also reversed the fender insert to look "sportier" but i don't think ill be producing that insert.

-Side Skirts, i wanted to be a simple square design that flowed the straight edge of the front bumper to the rear.

-1/4 Panel, Again keeping it simple, iv increased the depth of the body line for a more straight edged figure giving it a bit more character. Increasing the width by 50mm was a must, i had hoped this would allow tuners to open up their wheel and tire options, especially when running 5x114.5 conversion spacer adapters.

-Rear flare guards, instead of making a new bumper look, iv added rear valences with built in side generators to the stock bumper. Iv done this because a new bumper would also require a new diffuser, which wont helpful to tuners wallets. Iv taken the most simplest and cost effective route while still offering a good rear option.

-Spoiler - This is not a duckbil! Iv added an muscular spoiler that acts more like an extension to the trunk, which is more purely cosmetic rather than a functional wing.

I hope you guys enjoyed this one..Stay tuned for the Paladin ZN6 Kit (FRS/GT86).

-Josh

This is just brilliant.... maybe adding some of the fender vents you have on your latest design.....but that first rendering is simple yet elegant and sporty. Perfection! your work is crazy impressive!!!!!!!

92 carmy -> 86 corolla-> Honda S2000 -> Audi TT -> Mazdaspeed6 -> NEXT UP TOYOTA FT-86!!!!
ESBjiujitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ESBjiujitsu For This Useful Post:
Fly Guy (05-29-2012)