follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
RR Racing
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.


User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #29
scuzzy
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Drives: BRZ
Location: Bay Area
Posts: 36
Thanks: 4
Thanked 36 Times in 15 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If it's a daily driver just get better tires.
scuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:45 PM   #30
Tristor
Senior Member
 
Tristor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 616
Thanks: 3,050
Thanked 553 Times in 292 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyGot View Post
I'm thinking of getting a staggered setup. Thoughts on this spec?
Wondering if fitment would be flush. I'm aware of the wheelitfit website but I'm a bit confused looking at it. Some people say there is rubbing running 9.5" then others say they have no issues.

Front: 18x8.5 +45 Tire: 235
Rear: 18x9.5 +45 Tire: 245

As mentioned before I'm on stock suspension. Stock brake kit, maybe upgrading.



Don't run staggered setups on this platform. It's doable, but require significant adjustment to compensate. The platform is not designed for staggered and it negatively affects driving dynamics without compensating in geometry.

Also, for stock suspension I'd recommend 9" wide or narrower wheels, going wider than 9" will be problematic. To run wider than 9" you need to run aftermarket suspension arms to adjust camber to prevent rubbing and usually aftermarket endlinks as well.

17x9 +41 or +42 is about perfect on stock suspension to get a flush look and meat. 18x8.5 +44 is also about perfect on stock suspension.


The rear technically needs a little more offset which can be corrected with slip-on spacers, but it's not necessary.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tristor For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (11-10-2019)
Old 11-08-2019, 04:10 PM   #31
FinallyGot
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: Brz
Location: Na
Posts: 71
Thanks: 33
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
Don't run staggered setups on this platform. It's doable, but require significant adjustment to compensate. The platform is not designed for staggered and it negatively affects driving dynamics without compensating in geometry.

Also, for stock suspension I'd recommend 9" wide or narrower wheels, going wider than 9" will be problematic. To run wider than 9" you need to run aftermarket suspension arms to adjust camber to prevent rubbing and usually aftermarket endlinks as well.

17x9 +41 or +42 is about perfect on stock suspension to get a flush look and meat. 18x8.5 +44 is also about perfect on stock suspension.


The rear technically needs a little more offset which can be corrected with slip-on spacers, but it's not necessary.
I'll probably get 18x8.5 front and back. However About spacers, Is it safe to run them? Whats the torque required? Lmao I'm just scared to be cruising on the highway then look in my rear view mirror and see my wheel flying off.
FinallyGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 04:32 PM   #32
8RZ
The Gunshine State
 
8RZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Drives: '14 BRZ Limited
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,469
Thanks: 631
Thanked 1,162 Times in 586 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Just buy some extended studs to be safe.
__________________

Current DD: M235i
8RZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:26 PM   #33
TommyW
Senior Member
 
TommyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: '13 Whiteout
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 753
Thanks: 177
Thanked 552 Times in 306 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
For ride quality stick with 17" wheels. Good tires of whatever width you like and some good lowering springs and the car will look great handle well and you aren't spending a bunch of money on coilovers that you don't need for the street anyway. 18's look a bit better but then you have the form and function thing going on, a bit harsher ride for a slight improvement in looks
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #34
Tristor
Senior Member
 
Tristor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ Limited
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 616
Thanks: 3,050
Thanked 553 Times in 292 Posts
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyGot View Post
I'll probably get 18x8.5 front and back. However About spacers, Is it safe to run them? Whats the torque required? Lmao I'm just scared to be cruising on the highway then look in my rear view mirror and see my wheel flying off.

You don't have to have spacers, they're just for flushing the wheels out in the rear for looks. As long as you have good thread engagement it's the same torque as normal... 89 lb/ft. I've been running billet spacers on track and on the street the whole time I've owned my car. If you buy quality spacers and torque your wheels properly you've got nothing to worry about.

If you want more than a 3mm slip on spacer though, you need to get extended studs and open-ended lug nuts. ARP extended studs and CSG Spec lugs are where it's at.
Tristor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 03:35 PM   #35
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 951
Thanks: 743
Thanked 743 Times in 454 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo View Post
Now, If I had things to do over...

I would get first:
1" drop springs
SPC LCA
Whiteline bumpsteer kit
camber bolts
spacers for stock wheels.

Later I would upgrade the shocks to koni or bilsteins. Then buy a set of wheels. 18x9 +30 to +45 is a good size IMO.

Now that you’re on coilovers, you wouldn’t have gone for coils right away along with the LCA and all that?
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #36
86TOYO2k17
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Location: PNW
Posts: 1,653
Thanks: 181
Thanked 825 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tristor View Post
You don't have to have spacers, they're just for flushing the wheels out in the rear for looks. As long as you have good thread engagement it's the same torque as normal... 89 lb/ft. I've been running billet spacers on track and on the street the whole time I've owned my car. If you buy quality spacers and torque your wheels properly you've got nothing to worry about.

If you want more than a 3mm slip on spacer though, you need to get extended studs and open-ended lug nuts. ARP extended studs and CSG Spec lugs are where it's at.
Not sure if every wheel has the same thickness at the lug holes. But i got 8 1/4 turns on my lugs with a 4mm spacer.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 09:57 PM   #37
Will BRZ
Damn that's crazy...
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Drives: 2015 BRZ
Location: Texas
Posts: 951
Thanks: 743
Thanked 743 Times in 454 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by darksnyder View Post
Find below 18" TRD SF rims on Pilot Super Sport 225/40/18 on stock suspension. Changing to MPSS has totally changed the way the car grips now!
225/40/18 is perfect on stock suspension. Fills up the wheel well nicely and isn’t that far off of stock diameter. I’d probably just get spacers in the rear and a lip kit or something. Though there’s something about a meaty tire on a 17 with a one finger gap between the tire and fender that I love
Will BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Will BRZ For This Useful Post:
FinallyGot (11-19-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 02:26 PM   #38
Leonardo
Country Boy 4 Life
 
Leonardo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Drives: 13' FR-S, 07' MDX, 06' Ridgeline,
Location: EUGENE
Posts: 5,224
Thanks: 6,637
Thanked 5,187 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will BRZ View Post
Now that you’re on coilovers, you wouldn’t have gone for coils right away along with the LCA and all that?
No way. I would not get coils again. I would upgrade to koni or bilsteins. I would also keep my rubber bushings and not go pillow-ball everywhere.

245's fit on a 9" wide wheels.

9" wide wheels fit without coils.

Anyway... It's all just a learning experience for me...
__________________
<img src=https://www.ft86club.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2239&pictureid=11508 border=0 alt= />


I LIKE TIRES!
Leonardo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leonardo For This Useful Post:
Will BRZ (11-20-2019)
Old 11-19-2019, 01:19 AM   #39
FinallyGot
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Drives: Brz
Location: Na
Posts: 71
Thanks: 33
Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyW View Post
For ride quality stick with 17" wheels. Good tires of whatever width you like and some good lowering springs and the car will look great handle well and you aren't spending a bunch of money on coilovers that you don't need for the street anyway. 18's look a bit better but then you have the form and function thing going on, a bit harsher ride for a slight improvement in looks
Love this Idea, Any recommendations for lowering springs?
FinallyGot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 11:22 AM   #40
TommyW
Senior Member
 
TommyW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Drives: '13 Whiteout
Location: San Clemente
Posts: 753
Thanks: 177
Thanked 552 Times in 306 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyGot View Post
Love this Idea, Any recommendations for lowering springs?
it depends on how low you want. 3/4 is good and 1” seems a bit much. I’ve had good luck with H&R however there is RCE, Hotchkiss, etc.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 12:49 PM   #41
HaXx
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Drives: jrsc_brz
Location: boston
Posts: 849
Thanks: 613
Thanked 552 Times in 288 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinallyGot View Post
Love this Idea, Any recommendations for lowering springs?
the rce yellows
i dont even have them, but its just known that they are the gold standard
heres a thread about coils, and the yellows are talked about a bunch
http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=137716
HaXx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HaXx For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (11-19-2019)
 
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pure red FRS, how it looks on yonaka coilovers and XXR wheels nhuyvan1106 Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 4 11-11-2016 04:33 AM
FS: FR-S / BRZ Exhaust, Coilovers, Wheels GuerillaRacing Southeast 0 10-24-2013 05:33 PM
HKS coilovers and Rays wheels sold. Blur GT Australia Classifieds 7 08-17-2013 12:09 AM
KAB Whiteout FR-S, BC Coilovers and Klutch wheels KAB-FRS Photos, Videos, Wallpapers, Gallery Forum 3 10-19-2012 02:12 AM
Coilovers vs. Springs and aftermarket wheels. BigJyoungblood Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack 6 10-01-2012 01:47 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.3.0 (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Garage vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.