follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 05-02-2016, 03:42 PM   #1
dallenj

Drives: Grey FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Clutch squeaking

It happens when I let off the clutch. I only hear it when I am stopped and in neutral. Any Ideas?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtPuhs7tXzE"]Scion FR-S clutch squeaking - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited by dallenj; 05-02-2016 at 03:42 PM. Reason: Grammar
dallenj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Drives: 2003 (AP1) S2000
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Watched your video. Heard the noise before.

Fork pivot needs to be greased. It's a known quality control issue. Some left the factory dry.

There are many ways to displace.

-Spartarus
Spartarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 04:05 PM   #3
dallenj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartarus View Post
Watched your video. Heard the noise before.

Fork pivot needs to be greased. It's a known quality control issue. Some left the factory dry.
Could I just go to the dealership and have them do the maintenance on it? I still have the power train warranty.
Old 05-02-2016, 05:08 PM   #4
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Yes, That is a manufacturing defect and is covered by warranty.

From what everybody else has said, dealers seem very reluctant to do any warranty work, and they love to bullsh*t people. Consider yourself forewarned.

-Spartarus
Old 05-02-2016, 05:26 PM   #5
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Drives: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I have the same problem and yeah I literally got bullshitted a little about it today at the dealer. Basically I was told that it's not really a problem and "if it gets worse for some reason then bring it back".
TonyTDT (05-03-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
dallenj

Quote:
Yes, That is a manufacturing defect and is covered by warranty.

From what everybody else has said, dealers seem very reluctant to do any warranty work, and they love to bullsh*t people. Consider yourself forewarned.
Hopefully they don't bullshit me to much I worked for the dealership I would take it to for 3 years. but I do have nitrous and full exhaust on my car. That might be a problem.
Old 05-02-2016, 09:16 PM   #7
pooch

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Garage
Dealers hate warranty work coz they get paid less from the manufacturer than from regular customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:36 PM   #8
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Yeah, it's really not the fault of the mechanics either… it's more the fault of the management… I can usually tell when the mechanics kind of want to do something about a problem but they're told to do something else.
Old 05-02-2016, 10:04 PM   #9
pooch

Garage
On a side note about clutch squeaks, when i'm cruising, my clutch pedal has a squeak/chirp then when I depress it even the slightest bit it goes away, anyone know what it might be? I haven't had time to crawl under to check just thought someone knows it and could save me some time.😁

Old 05-02-2016, 10:35 PM   #10
Keenercarguy
Mountain Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooch View Post
On a side note about clutch squeaks, when i'm cruising, my clutch pedal has a squeak/chirp then when I depress it even the slightest bit it goes away, anyone know what it might be? I haven't had time to crawl under to check just thought someone knows it and could save me some time.😁

My first thought would definitely be throw out bearing if you can hear it while you drive.
pooch (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:37 PM   #11
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Quote:
On a side note about clutch squeaks, when i'm cruising, my clutch pedal has a squeak/chirp then when I depress it even the slightest bit it goes away, anyone know what it might be? I haven't had time to crawl under to check just thought someone knows it and could save me some time.��
Not related to OP problem.

Yep. Throwout bearing. I guarantee it.

I could explain why, but that's a lot of phone typing. Suffice to say it's definitely the throwout bearing, should you want to know why I'll explain when I have a real man's keyboard again.

-Spartarus
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
pooch (05-02-2016)
Old 05-02-2016, 10:39 PM   #12
pooch

Garage
Quote:
Not related to OP problem.

Yep. Throwout bearing. I guarantee it.

At 40k miles? Although I bought it used so I'm not sure hoe the previous owner(s) drove it. Would this, in your opinion, be something covered under the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty?
Old 05-03-2016, 10:46 AM   #13
Spartarus
...Just add nauseum

Quote:
At 40k miles? Although I bought it used so I'm not sure hoe the previous owner(s) drove it.
Sure! 40K, why not? Depends on lots of things, beyond simply how you drive it. TOB wears while your foot is on the clutch. Or, if it wasn't lubed properly at the factory, it wears all the time, as the slave cylinder is self adjusting, and the TOB and pressure plate are always in gentle contact. That also happens to be why it's squeaking with your foot off the clutch. Spinning without a load is enough to make the worn out bearing sing.

Either way, There's been many reported issues. The fact that you bought it used and have no idea how it was driven before is just icing on the cake.

Some other users have even had this problem before 40K

Quote:
Would this, in your opinion, be something covered under the 5yr/60k powertrain warranty?
Not automatically. If you want it replaced under warranty you either have to have a really great dealer or you need to argue for it.

It's a "wear part" that's how many dealers get out of it.

That said, many have worn out before their service interval, while the clutch is still in great condition. This would seem to indicate that it's a defective or improperly installed part. If they're not lubricated properly, like the fork pivot, they will wear out faster than they were designed to wear out. If it was installed correctly, it should only wear under load, i.e. when you depress the clutch. That, and, if it's a sh*tty part with sh*tty tolerances, it will grind itself up under load, before the service interval.

Regardless, if they refuse to service it on the grounds that it's a wear part, then you have to convince them it's defective.

-Spartarus
The Following User Says Thank You to Spartarus For This Useful Post:
pooch (05-03-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 10:57 AM   #14
pooch

Garage
Quote:
Sure! 40K, why not? Depends on lots of things, beyond simply how you drive it. TOB wears while your foot is on the clutch. Or, if it wasn't lubed properly at the factory, it wears all the time, as the slave cylinder is self adjusting, and the TOB and pressure plate are always in gentle contact. That also happens to be why it's squeaking with your foot off the clutch. Spinning without a load is enough to make the worn out bearing sing.

Either way, There's been many reported issues. The fact that you bought it used and have no idea how it was driven before is just icing on the cake.

Some other users have even had this problem before 40K

Not automatically. If you want it replaced under warranty you either have to have a really great dealer or you need to argue for it.

It's a "wear part" that's how many dealers get out of it.

That said, many have worn out before their service interval, while the clutch is still in great condition. This would seem to indicate that it's a defective or improperly installed part. If they're not lubricated properly, like the fork pivot, they will wear out faster than they were designed to wear out. If it was installed correctly, it should only wear under load, i.e. when you depress the clutch. That, and, if it's a sh*tty part with sh*tty tolerances, it will grind itself up under load, before the service interval.

Regardless, if they refuse to service it on the grounds that it's a wear part, then you have to convince them it's defective.
Thank you Spatarus, I really appreciate that thorough answer.