follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-09-2024, 09:34 PM   #29
Racecomp Engineering

Drives: 2016 BRZ, 2012 Paris Di2 & 2018 STI
Thanked 7,242 Times in 2,963 Posts
Mentioned: 303 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Send a message via AIM to Racecomp Engineering
Do you have a pic of the coilover assembly before it was installed on the car?

- Andrew
Racecomp Engineering is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
J95 (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 08:13 AM   #30
J95

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racecomp Engineering View Post
Do you have a pic of the coilover assembly before it was installed on the car?

- Andrew
Not really, I only have this pic, is the original delivered kw v3 kit. Then the mechanic took the rear springs, put them in the front along with KW CS top mounts, and put some brand new springs 60/170 in the rear

I'm quite worried about the result haha
Attached Images

J95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2024, 12:09 PM   #31
Racecomp Engineering

It's probably the way he put the camber plates on the front. You should not use the purple cone piece if you're using the camber plates.

- Andrew
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
J95 (03-10-2024), Tatsu333 (03-10-2024)
Old 03-10-2024, 04:53 PM   #32
J95

Quote:
It's probably the way he put the camber plates on the front. You should not use the purple cone piece if you're using the camber plates.

- Andrew
Not really, I've the conic purple pieces with me, he didn't use them

Must be something wrong or is it actually possible that with this minimum increase in stiffness, it screwed up the whole setup?
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2024, 11:55 AM   #33
Racecomp Engineering

Do you have a picture of the coilovers assembled with the camber plates but not on the car?

- Andrew
J95 (03-11-2024)
Old 03-11-2024, 01:15 PM   #34
J95

Quote:
Do you have a picture of the coilovers assembled with the camber plates but not on the car?

- Andrew
Oh actually I have this, he made a video explaining why he had to turn a nut. Basically the nut that came with the top mounts was wrong. The metric did not match the strut thread, but it was bigger. In the video he shows first the matching nut that he manufactured, then the oversized nut that came with the mounts and does not fit.

But he made the same exterior diameter and lenght, so this should not affect height, or?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x1MPyupNmDDe6Z7LA
Old 03-12-2024, 12:57 PM   #35
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by J95 View Post
Oh actually I have this, he made a video explaining why he had to turn a nut. Basically the nut that came with the top mounts was wrong. The metric did not match the strut thread, but it was bigger. In the video he shows first the matching nut that he manufactured, then the oversized nut that came with the mounts and does not fit.

But he made the same exterior diameter and lenght, so this should not affect height, or?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/x1MPyupNmDDe6Z7LA
That's an odd mix up from KW, but if he got the measurements right then it's okay.

I'm using the exact same springs as you but with OEM top mounts and I'm about 25mm lower than OEM with room to go another 25mm probably. With your top mounts you should be able to go even lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco_mc22 View Post
I can confirm, I’m currently on 50-250 front with CS lowering mounts and minimum ride height is -32mm, using oem mounts would get the car sits higher, probably around -18mm as a max lowering.
Marco has the same spring rate as you but with longer springs, and the exact same top mounts. Since he's able to go -32mm with the longer springs, I think you should be able to go lower.

- Andrew
J95 (03-12-2024)
Old 03-12-2024, 06:18 PM   #36
J95

Quote:
That's an odd mix up from KW, but if he got the measurements right then it's okay.

I'm using the exact same springs as you but with OEM top mounts and I'm about 25mm lower than OEM with room to go another 25mm probably. With your top mounts you should be able to go even lower.

Marco has the same spring rate as you but with longer springs, and the exact same top mounts. Since he's able to go -32mm with the longer springs, I think you should be able to go lower.

- Andrew
Ok many thanks again for your input, appreciate it a lot. I will take it to another mechanic. There's def something wrong here
The Following User Says Thank You to J95 For This Useful Post:
Racecomp Engineering (03-13-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 05:23 PM   #37
KiK

Drives: 19’ GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
@KiK how was it for you in the end?
Got the car back from the shop and still fiddling, to be honest, getting this dialed in has been a PITA! Also the ride is kind of harsh, highway was bumpy and city driving is just crashy, doesn't matter how big or little the imperfection is.

My rear ride height is pretty good but the front settled so hard that the car is pretty much scraping everywhere, its driving me nuts. As soon as I have time I will try the following settings (@Racecomp Engineering y'all are more than welcome to criticize this )

- Try to level the height in the Front with the Rear
- Set Compression (Bump) to: 7 front and 8 Rear
- Set Rebound to: 10 front and 8 Rear
- Corner balance them
- Set the following alignment:
Front:Camber: -1.8º Toe: 0º
Rear:Camber: -2º Toe: +0.08º

I came up with this numbers (except the alignment number, those I pulled out of my ass combining multiple setups I've seen, user feedback and my limited knowledge) using a previous comment by Racecomp Engineering which mentioned the following (pardon not properly quoting it, I have it copy pasted on a notepad):

Quote:
front compression- back off 7 clicks from full stiff.
front rebound-back off 10 clicks from full stiff
rear compression - back off 8 clicks from full stiff.
rear rebound- back off 7 clicks from full stiff.

as you add more solid bushings to this car you will dial OUT rebound as these shocks have TONS of rebound power in them.
As I have 50-200/60-170 springs with whiteline RLCA, whiteline subframe and diff bushing inserts, TRD Member brace set and Cusco Rear Bar I decided to back off the rear rebound on the rear 1 click thus changing the rear rebound from 7 to 8.

@J95 if you want to "compare setups" feel free to hit me up.

Last edited by KiK; 03-19-2024 at 05:27 PM. Reason: Added alignment.
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KiK For This Useful Post:
J95 (03-25-2024)
Old 03-19-2024, 08:07 PM   #38
Racecomp Engineering

Our recommended settings won't really have any relevance to your KW V3s...they're valved differently and with different spring rates so I don't think I can give you anything to go on.

That said...if your ride height is way too low and you're scraping everywhere...that's problem #1 that you need to fix! Don't even try to dial in the dampers until your ride height is good (I'd just set them to a baseline on the softer setting all around for now).

- Andrew
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Racecomp Engineering For This Useful Post:
J95 (03-25-2024), KiK (03-20-2024), Spuds (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 03:42 AM   #39
KiK

Drives: 19’ GT86
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Our recommended settings won't really have any relevance to your KW V3s...they're valved differently and with different spring rates so I don't think I can give you anything to go on.

That said...if your ride height is way too low and you're scraping everywhere...that's problem #1 that you need to fix! Don't even try to dial in the dampers until your ride height is good (I'd just set them to a baseline on the softer setting all around for now).

- Andrew
Thanks for the insight! I will try to fix the height as soon as practible.

Regarding those settings, they came from this thread which pretains to KW V3s https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19946

Could you please confirm that the comment in question doesn't apply?
KiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 03:01 PM   #40
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Thanks for the insight! I will try to fix the height as soon as practible.

Regarding those settings, they came from this thread which pretains to KW V3s https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19946

Could you please confirm that the comment in question doesn't apply?
Ahhh okay...I thought those were RCE T2 settings! My bad. Though I think KW V3s have gone through a slight update since then (2012) .

They might be useful as a starting point, though I think you might like a few clicks softer than what was quoted.

- Andrew
Old 03-25-2024, 08:27 AM   #41
J95

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiK View Post
Got the car back from the shop and still fiddling, to be honest, getting this dialed in has been a PITA! Also the ride is kind of harsh, highway was bumpy and city driving is just crashy, doesn't matter how big or little the imperfection is.
@J95 if you want to "compare setups" feel free to hit me up.
Hey man, for me also the car does not behave well, but as I wrote above, I believe there is something wrong with my installation. I have to take it to the mechanic and then Id be happy to share some thoughts regarding the setup.

Actually, I talked with KW and maybe I can get a replacement springs of 50-170 to substitue my current 50-200 that I have at the front. Then I should be able to lower the car more (as I wrote, it dropped only like 20-25mm at it is already in its lowest position). @Racecomp Engineering do you think it is a good workaround?
Old 03-25-2024, 09:52 AM   #42
Racecomp Engineering

Quote:
Hey man, for me also the car does not behave well, but as I wrote above, I believe there is something wrong with my installation. I have to take it to the mechanic and then Id be happy to share some thoughts regarding the setup.

Actually, I talked with KW and maybe I can get a replacement springs of 50-170 to substitue my current 50-200 that I have at the front. Then I should be able to lower the car more (as I wrote, it dropped only like 20-25mm at it is already in its lowest position). @Racecomp Engineering do you think it is a good workaround?
You could do that but I would verify your installation first. I'll take a picture of where I'm at tomorrow with the same springs and OEM mounts (if I get over this cold).

Any coilover and especially a 2 way like KW V3s does require a little more effort to get set up right. For settings, if you're starting from the beginning or if the recommended settings don't really make sense because you're on a slightly different set up, I always suggest starting soft and working your way up. Adjust compression first, then rebound. I like going 2 clicks at a time, then dialing it back 1 when it gets too much.

Ride height and tire choice are also important.

- Andrew
J95 (03-25-2024)