follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 03-29-2019, 05:54 PM   #1
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Center for Automotive Safety calls for halt to recall

https://www.thedrive.com/news/27207/...erous-problems

Glad I held off.
The Following User Says Thank You to srt4evah For This Useful Post:
alan.chalkley (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 08:48 PM   #2
alan.chalkley

Drives: 4wd zooks
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
Yes , me too!
alan.chalkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 09:32 PM   #3
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
You realize that the Center for Automotive Safety is in no way a government agency? Hell they didn't even have the facts right in the first report.
The NHTSA is not a consumer advocate that will get the failed engines replaced either. The most they can say is to ensure there is no safety issue. Subaru and Toyota have updated their instructions and that is about all that they can be told to do.
maslin (03-29-2019), Teseo (03-30-2019), why? (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 10:28 PM   #4
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Another thread. About another article. Written by the same person. That is now posted in every single thread that already existed, as well as it’s own.

maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Chimera (04-02-2019), gravitylover (03-30-2019), Tcoat (03-29-2019)
Old 03-29-2019, 11:11 PM   #5
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by maslin View Post
Another thread. About another article. Written by the same person. That is now posted in every single thread that already existed, as well as it’s own.

And I have asked "what do you hope to get from the NHTSA?" in each of those threads and have not received an answer.
This article quotes 3 of the 4 people that have so far been refused (according to the tracking list in one thread). Totally ignores the 11 that have had replacements done.
Yes it would really, really suck to have the recall done and blow up an engine but there is not the rampant refusal to make good that these articles make it out to be.
The reported failures seem to have dropped off considerably since the updated instructions went out so maybe things are leveling out.
maslin (03-29-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 12:39 AM   #6
mswbrz

Drives: 2013 brz limited / galaxy blue
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
And I have asked "what do you hope to get from the NHTSA?" in each of those threads and have not received an answer.

This article quotes 3 of the 4 people that have so far been refused (according to the tracking list in one thread). Totally ignores the 11 that have had replacements done.

Yes it would really, really suck to have the recall done and blow up an engine but there is not the rampant refusal to make good that these articles make it out to be.

The reported failures seem to have dropped off considerably since the updated instructions went out so maybe things are leveling out.

What kind of weed you smoke and I need some of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mswbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 02:04 AM   #7
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mswbrz View Post
What kind of weed you smoke and I need some of that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No weed. Just an objective view without emotions clouding the facts (the few we have) since I am not at risk. I am getting my info from the exact same places as the writer of that article. He chooses to spin it as if it is a huge disaster. I interpret the info in a totally different manner.
So tell me. What do the people expect the NHTSA to do? Order Subaru to replace whole engines instead of fixing springs? Nope, they do not control the fix of a recall only if one is required. Require them to replace engines that blow? Again nope, that is beyond the scope of their authority.
nos145 (04-03-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 07:43 AM   #8
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by srt4evah View Post
I think the news is significant since it may start the ball rolling and help those stuck with the cost of the recall failure dead engines getting reimbursement.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BRZnut For This Useful Post:
RallySport (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:03 AM   #9
RZNT4R
Professional Mechanic

Drives: 2017 86 6MT Oceanic
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
If I was part of the unlucky ones, I guess my hope would be that the competence issue would be recognised, and that subsequent pressure from corporate would help ones with borked engines get taken care of at the dealer level.

I know it's not Toyota's role to pay for engines destroyed by a tech on the ground floor, but dealers are doing business under Toyota's name, they have rules to follow. Just like a McDonald's franchisee is subject to rules from the mothership.
RZNT4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 08:07 AM   #10
maslin
Benz Tech

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
I think the news is significant since it may start the ball rolling and help those stuck with the cost of the recall failure dead engines getting reimbursement.
The 3 people of “400,000” that are stuck with the cost? Man, we better get everyone involved, that’s massive.

One of the cars is boosted, probably not getting any help there. Don’t take your heavily modified car to the dealership, they take notes.

One has a salvage title, again not getting any help. When you buy a car for half price there’s a reason. It has a salvage title because it was damaged beyond the point of reasonable repair. When you save thousands of dollars buying the car you lose things, namely support of the dealer when something goes wrong.

I hope everyone knows the author is a member of the forum who’s own car died after the recall. It’s not a news article, it’s a novel.
maslin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to maslin For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 08:13 AM   #11
BRZnut

Drives: BRZ DGM Limited
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
We have no idea what the real number of failures are out there but it is sure to be more than what we see here.
BRZnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:09 AM   #12
scottryan
Financial Distress

Drives: 2017 GT86 325WHP
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
You realize that the Center for Automotive Safety is in no way a government agency? Hell they didn't even have the facts right in the first report.
The NHTSA is not a consumer advocate that will get the failed engines replaced either. The most they can say is to ensure there is no safety issue. Subaru and Toyota have updated their instructions and that is about all that they can be told to do.
Was just thinking the same thing, also if I'm not mistaken, the article states they "Would recommend the NHTSA calls for a halt on recalls". It's simply a speculation/opinion.
scottryan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scottryan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (03-30-2019)
Old 03-30-2019, 11:25 AM   #13
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRZnut View Post
We have no idea what the real number of failures are out there but it is sure to be more than what we see here.
And we also have no idea the number of successfully repaired springs so the failure rate may be 1%, 10% or 90%. The lack of data works both ways and to assume that the 40 reports of failure we do know about represent the majority is probably way off base.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:39 AM   #14
srt4evah
Initial G

Drives: 13 FR-S, 15 BMW 228i
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
No weed. Just an objective view without emotions clouding the facts (the few we have) since I am not at risk. I am getting my info from the exact same places as the writer of that article. He chooses to spin it as if it is a huge disaster. I interpret the info in a totally different manner.
So tell me. What do the people expect the NHTSA to do? Order Subaru to replace whole engines instead of fixing springs? Nope, they do not control the fix of a recall only if one is required. Require them to replace engines that blow? Again nope, that is beyond the scope of their authority.
I would hope the NHTSA would order the manufacturers to suspend the recall until they have a firm and full grasp of why it's caused a higher rate of failures than the issue they're recalling. They're increasing the danger and chance of harm for their customers, despite their intention, so that should be stopped until it can be assured that it's no longer the case.

Personally, I don't blame the manufacturer as much as I blame the local dealerships. The job CAN be done correctly, it's just that the way it's designed right now, it's leading to a significant failure rate, cars dying on the road, exactly the problem they sought to avoid. Maybe give the techs additional training, or give them another 6 hours on the bill to do the job more carefully, I don't know what the remedy is, but clearly something has to be done to improve the success rate.
The Following User Says Thank You to srt4evah For This Useful Post:
humfrz (04-02-2019)