follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 02-16-2012, 01:02 PM   #57
AVOturboworld

Drives: 2013 "AVO Orange" FR-S
Thanked 2,277 Times in 636 Posts
Mentioned: 108 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Understeer means it's lawsuit-proof. If you go into a tree nose first, the driver was going too fast. If you go into a tree ass first, the automotive maker released it with a defective, dangerous suspension design, either on purpose or through negligence.

And yes, I'm serious about the last bit. I sat down with Subaru of Japan many, many times in the past, and that bit is what is always foremost on their minds. Toyota's a little braver, or has better lawyers, or just hasn't had to deal with the last 10 years of kids buying turbo WRX's and crashing them into houses "when the turbo spooled at 12mph".

In regards to the journalists can't drive - yes, there's a few that can't. But any that are driving pre-production, high-profile releases like these two cars *can* drive. Both the manufacturers and the magazines will make sure of it. The actual issue is that, because they are fairly professional about it, they will be driving it in all sort of ways that the average reader won't. Driving at the limit means different things for different people.

Regards,

Paul Hansen
www.avoturboworld.com
www.facebook.com/BRZSportsCarClub
AVOturboworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:16 PM   #58
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
^ that makes a hell lots of sense, thank you.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 PM   #59
dsgerbc

Drives: BRZ(sold), STI
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
Understeer means it's lawsuit-proof.
Lawsuit-proof in America? Hell no! Probability of lawsuit is lower, of course. Just wait until people start pumping front tires to higher pressures and let air out of rears to get some more 'neutral' handling. And it's not gonna be verifiable on a crashed car. Some relatives of those - might sue
dsgerbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:14 PM   #60
WingsofWar
MODERATOR-SAMA

Drives: Swagtron Scooter
Thanked 1,561 Times in 524 Posts
Mentioned: 81 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Lawsuit-proof in America? Hell no! Probability of lawsuit is lower, of course. Just wait until people start pumping front tires to higher pressures and let air out of rears to get some more 'neutral' handling. And it's not gonna be verifiable on a crashed car. Some relatives of those - might sue
In america anyone can sue anybody for anything. True.

But it is common practice for automotive manufactures to make cars driving characteristics more "stable" which results in understeer to avert these lawsuits.

Basically Paul is telling the truth about lawsuit-proof because it truly is trying to fight a loosing battle. And auto makers know how to cover their asses for the most part. This kind of idea of the auto maker protecting itself from idiots is normal.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #61
DMDZK

Drives: 2007 Cayman
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingsofWar View Post
In america anyone can sue anybody for anything. True.

But it is common practice for automotive manufactures to make cars driving characteristics more "stable" which results in understeer to avert these lawsuits.

Basically Paul is telling the truth about lawsuit-proof because it truly is trying to fight a loosing battle. And auto makers know how to cover their asses for the most part. This kind of idea of the auto maker protecting itself from idiots is normal.
Not only is it common, but it is absolutely necessary. Look at the Toyota "unintended acceleration" fiasco. They had a ton of lawsuits, many of which were frivolous, regarding the cars accelerating on their own. Now they have redesigned the floor mats and for a time, refused to install them for the customer, since it was a liability concern. To my knowledge, despite a government investigation, no hardware/software issue has ever been found in any of the reported cases.
DMDZK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:37 PM   #62
Jah1mon

Drives: s13 240sx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zgrinch View Post
My favorite comment:

Above 5000 rpm, it’s loud enough that you have to scream to converse

I like the SOUND of that.
That's just the sound tube pumping unnesscary noise from the intake.
Jah1mon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #63
Re_Invention

Drives: '22 Tacoma, '19 Macan, '22 BRZ
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVOturboworld View Post
Understeer means it's lawsuit-proof. If you go into a tree nose first, the driver was going too fast. If you go into a tree ass first, the automotive maker released it with a defective, dangerous suspension design, either on purpose or through negligence.

And yes, I'm serious about the last bit. I sat down with Subaru of Japan many, many times in the past, and that bit is what is always foremost on their minds. Toyota's a little braver, or has better lawyers, or just hasn't had to deal with the last 10 years of kids buying turbo WRX's and crashing them into houses "when the turbo spooled at 12mph".

In regards to the journalists can't drive - yes, there's a few that can't. But any that are driving pre-production, high-profile releases like these two cars *can* drive. Both the manufacturers and the magazines will make sure of it. The actual issue is that, because they are fairly professional about it, they will be driving it in all sort of ways that the average reader won't. Driving at the limit means different things for different people.

Regards,

Paul Hansen
www.avoturboworld.com
www.facebook.com/BRZSportsCarClub
I'm sure they [Toyota] haven't forgotten about the unintended acceleration fiasco of recent years. They also have experience with 'too much performance' with the second generation MR2 turbo. In 92'/93' they had to revise the suspension geometry and changed tires to prevent snap oversteer.

I predict, like the AP1 and Mr2, within a few years of the model release, we'll see it dialed down. With enthusiasts buying the first wave (2-3 years) of cars, however, then Toyota/Scion will make it more pedestrian and focus on selling in volume.
Re_Invention is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #64
jer305

Drives: Datsun 280Z
Did everyone completely forget that there is a sport mode switch and to have fun with the car you need to hit it..... I don't think with normal driving you will have to worry about the car being twitchy.

edit: good call SUB-FT86, i didn't see your post.
jer305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #65
mike2100

Drives: 23 BRZ
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidy0998 View Post
$26k is what is what I've expected this car to be at base price. And even more so after reading that. The Genesis Coupe 2.0T is coming in at $25k, and I predicted that the FR-S would be in between the 2.0T and 3.8.
How about $22,250 + delivery so $23,125

$22,205 for a Civic Si Coupe
$23,450 for a base Miata

If the FR-S base price, before delivery, is above 24k I will eat my hair.
mike2100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:47 PM   #66
Zaku
-Proud of Brzerhood-

Drives: '17 BRZ CWP LMT.
Thanked 1,725 Times in 790 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jer305 View Post
Did everyone completely forget that there is a sport mode switch and to have fun with the car you need to hit it..... I don't think with normal driving you will have to worry about the car being twitchy.

edit: good call SUB-FT86, i didn't see your post.
I thought that as Automatic only... or was that Snow...

And Mike... your prolly gonna have alot of hair to eat.

"The BRZ Section's fine wine" -Zgrinch
Zaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 02:48 PM   #67
Dave-ROR
Site Moderator

Drives: Stuff
Thanked 5,965 Times in 2,689 Posts
Mentioned: 262 Post(s)
Tagged: 8 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post

And Mike... your prolly gonna have alot of hair to eat.
Snow.

VSC sport is on all of them.
Tow: 2022 F-450
Toys: 2001 Chevrolet Corvette Z06, 1993 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1994 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
Parts: 2015 Subaru BRZ Limited, 2005 Acura TSX
Projects: 2013 Subaru BRZ Limited track car build
FS: 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 LT CCSB 8.1/Allison with 99k miles
Dave-ROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM   #68
Zgrinch

Drives: 2013 Limited DGM BRZ
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jah1mon View Post
That's just the sound tube pumping unnesscary noise from the intake.
I understand that and I like Mr. Sound Tube.

BRZGrincherhood
Zgrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:24 PM   #69
jer305

Drives: Datsun 280Z
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaku View Post

In the video with Chris Harris there is a point where he turns it off to start drifting.... It could be snow that is for autos ?
jer305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #70
Homemade WRX
Pro Subie Engine Nerd

Drives: BRZ has a reserved space
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsgerbc View Post
Just wait until people start pumping rear tires to higher pressures and let air out of fronts to get some more 'neutral' handling. And it's not gonna be verifiable on a crashed car. Some relatives of those - might sue
Fixed
Homemade WRX is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
86 forum, 86 forums, brz, brz club, brz forum, brz forums, brz fr-s comparison, brz site, brz versus fr-s, brz vs fr-s, fr-s brz comparison, fr-s forum, fr-s forums, fr-s versus brz, fr-s vs brz, frs forum, frs forums, gt 86 forum, gt86 forum, gt86 forums, scion fr-s forum, scion fr-s forums, scion frs forum, scion frs forums, subaru brz, subaru brz club, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums, subaru brz site, toyota 86 forum, toyota 86 forums, toyota gt86 forum