follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 04-22-2014, 06:16 PM   #1
1Cor10:23

Drives: '13 Whiteout FR-S (M/T)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quick Review: Perrin 3" CBE Resonated

This will be a brief review - this system has been reviewed by fellow members quite a few times so I'll focus on the key things that I believe to be accretive to what has already been stated.

Background

Purchased the system through a group buy (I believe still active) run by @Mike@CZP. Very smooth transaction, great price, highly recommend!

So I knew a catback was definitely a must for me (if anything, to remove the eyesore that is the exhaust gap). Perrin had great reviews and a nice deep tone. I made the decision to go 3" before I decided to buy my OFH (yet to be installed). Time will tell whether I will regret this decision but no harm in testing it out for a while.

Install

When I installed the CBE, it was the first time I had ever jacked up a car (shoutout to @GrimmSpeed for the great DIY). Needless to say, it took longer to get the car setup, jack and stands unboxed, etc etc than it did to install the system. I would reserve 2 hours for a neat and tidy install - if you're OCD like me, you'll want to save time to adjust the hangers and the S-Pipe.

Results

Fit was pretty bang on first try. Right side exhaust seems to hug toward the centre whereas left side is bang on centered in exhaust gap. They protrude evenly. I figure it's hardly worthwhile to try and get this to be 100% - too many variables at play; will have to settle for ~95% (hangers, crazy precision on welds, heck even the plastic moulding of the bumper comes into play).

One thing that I noticed on my install was that it did seem slightly recessed compared to some other photos I've seen. This doesn't bother me much as I actually prefer it. Some suggested spinning the S Pipe to push the exhaust out a bit but I found that the pipe didn't want to spin much from its 'natural' rest spot (recall that it's on a hanger itself and that wants to level out, spinning the pipe changes the otherwise perpendicular angle of the hanger).

Sounds is phenomenal, nice and deep tone. I actually got to test it on a 940KM drive from Boston to Toronto and found it to be quite bearable however - 6th gear high load (trying to pass) you do get quite a bit of drone. If you want to avoid drone all together, you need to have some constant (minimal) throttle as deceleration through coasting will give it some drone as well.

Will get some video clips up soon (also installing OFH this weekend so will get a post-install clip up as well).

Concerns

One concern I have with the piping is that the clearance to the rear diff is not that great (I guess it comes with the 3" territory). Particularly, the little black metal tab on either side of the diff has about a 1/2 cm clearance (at best) to the S-Pipe. Now, I've never actually heard it rub or clang against the diff (yet) but you can make it happen if you try moving the exhaust from the tips by hand (with quite a bit of force). This is why I really made sure the exhaust hanger detents were snug and left no gab between them and the hangers themselves. See picture below.

Overall, very happy with the purchase.

Last edited by 1Cor10:23; 04-22-2014 at 09:41 PM.
1Cor10:23 is offline   Reply With Quote