follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #15
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
1. OFT is for the plug and play DIY person and for people who are going to gradually modify their car and will tune multiple times. Don’t want to get a protune for stage 1 , then stage 2 , then FI. That would be expensive.

2. Protune Ecutek is for the person who gets all the mods at once and gets the car tuned by a professional. Sort of set it and forget it. You did your research ahead of time and are going all in. Tuners often will optimize and tweak for a lower cost after initial tune.
Once you get license, dongle/cable and an initial tune, subsequent revisions for other mods like adding CAI or catless FP or whatever, are usually heavily discounted by the tuner as the work involved is much less than an initial tune. And the quality of the tune will be substantially better than a Staged OTS tune.
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 09:58 AM   #16
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
Once you get license, dongle/cable and an initial tune, subsequent revisions for other mods like adding CAI or catless FP or whatever, are usually heavily discounted by the tuner as the work involved is much less than an initial tune. And the quality of the tune will be substantially better than a Staged OTS tune.
I believe, I said that in the last sentence that you quoted. I have no skin in the game. Could careless if anyone goes Ecutek or OfT.

For most DD, an OTS tune will be just fine, especially if you stay NA. How do you judge the quality of the tune for DD, when most could never tell the difference for an NA car.

If you are competing go Ecutek to get all you can get out of the car. If DD, either will be fine.

Having done this on my 04WRX, it’s like the law of diminishing returns. That first OTS tune gets you the most that you can feel. Then an etune or protune are small improvements after that. The per dollar benefit is far less then the initial tune. Whether it’s worth that money is a subjective opinion. After 17 years of driving my WRX, I have done the comparison between tunes and under DD or spirited driving the differences are small. If you really push the car I would say my protune pulls harder, but if I had to drive the rest of my life on the OTS tune it would still bring smiles to my face. No track or autox.

I have done the blinded experiment where a friend loads the tune without telling you and you drive and compare. It’s much harder when you don’t know the tune and that confirmation bias is removed. Easily done with an OFT. In my experience you will not feel much difference until you really push the car. I guessed right during my experiment. Just being honest.

The butt dyno is not very accurate. I have met so many people who think otherwise.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:38 AM   #17
86TOYO2k17

Drives: 2017 toyota 86
Thanked 1,188 Times in 781 Posts
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest72 View Post
I believe, I said that in the last sentence that you quoted. I have no skin in the game. Could careless if anyone goes Ecutek or OfT.

For most DD, an OTS tune will be just fine, especially if you stay NA. How do you judge the quality of the tune for DD, when most could never tell the difference for an NA car.

If you are competing go Ecutek to get all you can get out of the car. If DD, either will be fine.

Having done this on my 04WRX, it’s like the law of diminishing returns. That first OTS tune gets you the most that you can feel. Then an etune or protune are small improvements after that. The per dollar benefit is far less then the initial tune. Whether it’s worth that money is a subjective opinion. After 17 years of driving my WRX, I have done the comparison between tunes and under DD or spirited driving the differences are small. If you really push the car I would say my protune pulls harder, but if I had to drive the rest of my life on the OTS tune it would still bring smiles to my face. No track or autox.

I have done the blinded experiment where a friend loads the tune without telling you and you drive and compare. It’s much harder when you don’t know the tune and that confirmation bias is removed. Easily done with an OFT. In my experience you will not feel much difference until you really push the car. I guessed right during my experiment. Just being honest.

The butt dyno is not very accurate. I have met so many people who think otherwise.
I had OFT stage 1 stage 2+ then custom e-tune. Couldn't notice or feel a difference till i got a custom tune.

I have a dragy, I thoroughly tested every mod/tune i did when NA to validate the gains or lack of not just “i think it feels” faster.

This car isn’t a 04 wrx not sure the relevance there. Different car, different drivetrain, newer technologies.

One size fits all tend to either not fit anyone well or only fit a very specific setup well and not so much others. Too many different mods, and mod designs. And the more you modify and add in “steps” the less ideal an OTS tune is.

Not that i think OFT is horrible it’s not a bad option for NA. But I disagree with the sentiment that ecutek is a “for people who get all the mods at once” “set it and forget it”
86TOYO2k17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:27 PM   #18
Ernest72

Drives: 16 Silver BRZ, 04 Silver WRX wagon
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 86TOYO2k17 View Post
I had OFT stage 1 stage 2+ then custom e-tune. Couldn't notice or feel a difference till i got a custom tune.

I have a dragy, I thoroughly tested every mod/tune i did when NA to validate the gains or lack of not just “i think it feels” faster.

This car isn’t a 04 wrx not sure the relevance there. Different car, different drivetrain, newer technologies.

One size fits all tend to either not fit anyone well or only fit a very specific setup well and not so much others. Too many different mods, and mod designs. And the more you modify and add in “steps” the less ideal an OTS tune is.

Not that i think OFT is horrible it’s not a bad option for NA. But I disagree with the sentiment that ecutek is a “for people who get all the mods at once” “set it and forget it”
At stage 1 it was a little better on the.highway. At stage 2 the header was obvious. I have asked so many about getting an etune or protune for NA and almost all said It’s not worth it but might smooth out some spots.

The relevance of the 04WRX is FI. I have had my protune on my WRX for 11 years, she still pulls great. I think with FI the tune is more important. If I was going FI I would get a protune and do as many of the relevant mods as I could afford.
Ernest72 is offline   Reply With Quote