follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 03-24-2021, 09:33 PM   #57
ClevelandFRS

Drives: Scion FRS 2013
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolioBenzina View Post
I can get almost straight ethanol, no crickets.
Question. How can you get no chirps with more ethanol when it seems that the less ethanol content, the less likely to chirp?

I'm confused by what you are saying. Can you explain? I only ask because my 2013 is chirping enough to get a noise complaint >.>
ClevelandFRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 02:21 AM   #58
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClevelandFRS View Post
Question. How can you get no chirps with more ethanol when it seems that the less ethanol content, the less likely to chirp?

I'm confused by what you are saying. Can you explain? I only ask because my 2013 is chirping enough to get a noise complaint >.>
I think it depends more on additives than the ethanol. I had succes with 10% ethanol after a few cycles, 0 crickets.
Old 03-25-2021, 09:08 AM   #59
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:

I sound like a broken record saying this but there has been zero correlation between crickets and ethanol content. Some don't get them and some do regardless of what fuel they are running.
Way back there was a group in Norcal (I think) where 5 of them got the same fuel from the same place at the same time. Three had crickets and two did not.
There have been reams and reams of conversations and data on this topic and the only thing we have learned is that there is not one single common point that applies to everybody. Individuals seem to think they have solved the mystery with their one off anecdotal assessments but overall it has never been solved. Ethanol content may be a factor but is not the factor in if you get them.
Old 03-25-2021, 12:20 PM   #60
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
I just learned to shut it out. I never notice the crickets anymore, except if I'm letting the car idle and I'm standing specifically outside of it waiting around.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 12:41 PM   #61
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I just learned to shut it out. I never notice the crickets anymore, except if I'm letting the car idle and I'm standing specifically outside of it waiting around.
I haven't heard them for exactly one year now!
spike021 (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 12:49 PM   #62
spike021

Drives: '17 Limited BRZ CWP w/ PP
Thanked 6,466 Times in 3,205 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
I haven't heard them for exactly one year now!
I think the kouki cars definitely have some more insulation that also mutes it more from the inside.
It sounds to me like the delicate, metallic sounds of piston skirts slapping against the cylinder walls
Quote:
Now, if it was three feet long and you were using all that leverage
spike021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 01:03 PM   #63
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike021 View Post
I think the kouki cars definitely have some more insulation that also mutes it more from the inside.
And a rather changed fuel pump system.

Just realized that today is the 1st anniversary!

bcj (03-25-2021), BrahmaBull1990 (03-29-2021), Dake (03-26-2021), joro2 (03-27-2021), spike021 (03-25-2021), Wally86 (03-29-2021)
Old 03-25-2021, 05:08 PM   #64
PLX92

Drives: 2017 BRZ Premium
My '17 chirps with the best of them
PLX92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 05:15 PM   #65
ClevelandFRS

Quote:
I sound like a broken record saying this but there has been zero correlation between crickets and ethanol content. Some don't get them and some do regardless of what fuel they are running.
Way back there was a group in Norcal (I think) where 5 of them got the same fuel from the same place at the same time. Three had crickets and two did not.
There have been reams and reams of conversations and data on this topic and the only thing we have learned is that there is not one single common point that applies to everybody. Individuals seem to think they have solved the mystery with their one off anecdotal assessments but overall it has never been solved. Ethanol content may be a factor but is not the factor in if you get them.
I'm with you on this. I emptied the tank and engine of all gas at a shop, total drain, then ran total nonethanol gas (uber expensive) and it still chirped. I ran with that for a week, never stopped chirping.

My results were thusly:

BP Ultimate - extremely loud chirps, but in frequent, not constant

Shell Vpower Nitro - Constant low hum of chirping that doesn't stop, like crickets on red bull

Sunoco 93 - Constant loud chirp that doesn't stop

E85 variants from different locations - extremely loud chirps, infrequent, sounded just like BP Ultimate

Circle K 93 - Loud chirps, infrequent, random spouts of zero noise, then suddenly a streak of them

Valero 93 - Quiet chirps, moderate frequency

Marathon 93 - same as circle k

I've also tested 91 variants at each location after total emptying of the tank. This is not ethanol caused, but I think the ethanol content does indeed play a factor.

New engine + Nonethanol = no real difference in chirps

OLD engine 100,000K + nonethanol = good results

IMO, this is the texturing of the internal component that is thought to cause the sound that gets worn down over time. Once it is worn, it no longer makes noise and gas type wont matter.

Thats IMO and due to a year of experimenting with this. I've yet to try any additives into the gas itself on a consumer end. I'll be giving that a try.

At this point, I just go with the cheapest premium in the area, my ethanol content testing is over and I wont be investing more into it. Its a bust. I simply don't believe it has a lick to do with ethanol content, but rather the physical component itself being new and causing this sound, but over time it will wear and cease to make that sound.

I am sadly a very long time from that happening haha. My engine is basically brand new.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ClevelandFRS For This Useful Post:
Kittykate (03-29-2021), Tcoat (03-25-2021)
Old 03-26-2021, 03:27 PM   #66
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
It is interesting. Way back I did a road trip and planned my stops around 0 Ethanol gas stations and the crickets went away and stayed away until probably the second tank of "normal" gas once I was back home.

Then I went to the OFT E85 tune a couple years ago now, and the crickets went away as well - to the point that I completely forgot about them. I've just switched back to normal gas for an upcoming road trip where I didn't feel like worrying about finding E85 the whole way. It will be interesting to see if/how long until they return.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 03:43 AM   #67
Kittykate

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Quote:

Circle K 93 - Loud chirps, infrequent, random spouts of zero noise, then suddenly a streak of them

Can corroborate Circle K gas being loud as a motherfucker on a low mileage twin.

It's too damn convenient and cheap a gas station for me to not go though so fuck it. The sound is a bit irksome though, and I get to hear it all the time at work.

I think I just need to get a loud exhaust to compete with it.
Kittykate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2021, 04:42 AM   #68
ClevelandFRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittykate View Post
Can corroborate Circle K gas being loud as a motherfucker on a low mileage twin.

It's too damn convenient and cheap a gas station for me to not go though so fuck it. The sound is a bit irksome though, and I get to hear it all the time at work.

I think I just need to get a loud exhaust to compete with it.
I have had good results with Lucas brand Ethanol oil additive. Its like 9 bucks for a bottle and it drastically reduced the chirp to levels I can hardly hear most of the time. Huge help, not a cure, but did help me

Tags
2020, fuel, gt86, noise, tinder