follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 02-05-2014, 09:31 AM   #225
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I finally have time to read thru this entire thread. It's funny how a lot of people outside of Japan (primarily in North America, you have SOA and their marketing to blame for) have the misconception of STI and "tuned by STI". Nothing really changed for like 2 decades. The "STI" in the name "WRX STI" is just a trim level for the Impreza made by FHI, while "tuned by STI" is a limited production model by STI themselves (outside of FHI) that is equipped with most of their aftermarket products pre-installed plus some bespoked parts / tuning (I think this can be traced all the way back to the first gen Legacy RS STI Limited).

You can buy a "WRX STI" in Japan and still have STI aftermarket parts to buy for it, same goes for their other models in the line-up. There is actually an Impreza WRX STI tS in Japan lol!!

I think they came up with the "WRX STI" trim back when the STI aftermarket catalog was pretty much non-existent, and they tried to relate it to their world rallying efforts for homologation / marketing purposes. Isn't that how for example the BMW E30 M3 came about originally as well?

STI has always been famous for suspension and chassis tuning, not really about adding a turbo. Here are some of their marketing material in English:

http://www.sti.jp/e/parts/eye/index.html

http://www.sti.jp/e/parts/eye/parts_menu.html

http://www.sti.jp/e/parts/catalogue/index.html

http://www.sti.jp/e/product/previousmodel/index.html

BTW I think this BRZ with the limited power and acceleration it have is perfect for driving it all out on the streets from time to time. I've always wanted to buy something like a Honda Beat or Mazda Miata to roam around town. The BRZ is just that made for chubby people like me, plus it can merge into highways no problem. Perfect!

Last edited by krayzie; 02-05-2014 at 12:31 PM.
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
Bristecom (02-05-2014), chanomatik (02-05-2014), imag (03-09-2014), yurikaze (02-27-2018)
Old 02-10-2014, 05:34 PM   #226
chanomatik
Snow Don't Hurt!

Drives: 2013 BRZ Limited 6MT CBS
Thanked 1,497 Times in 902 Posts
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
If you guys wanna see the tS in blue, black, red or white, here's the Subaru.jp configuration, click the 2nd tab.

http://members.subaru.jp/purchase/si...gi=415&ci=4S20
chanomatik is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chanomatik For This Useful Post:
imag (03-09-2014)
Old 03-28-2014, 04:39 PM   #227
Coheed

Drives: DGM BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihaskrayon View Post
Recaro seats, fender trim and STi push start are things I want. But the TRD vents are high on my list. The seats are probably too much and I already like my seats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by idanvan View Post
I need me those seats! And that fender garnish looks pretty bangin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashed675 View Post
Those seats are totally win.

Is anybody else pissed they are putting an STI badge on something with an automatic? That just seams wrong to me.
I know everyone seems to universally love the Recaros, but have you guys driven a car with them? I recently drove a Nismo Juke with seats almost identical. The plastic used in the seats feels really cheap and flimsy, I'm a small guy and the plastic on the side-bolsters I didn't like too much.

I think they would be great on the track, but for me I wear a helmet and it interferes with the head-rest and makes the seating position kinda uncomfortable. I love the stock seats because I can take off the head rest and flip it around and it gives ample helmet clearance and is really comfortable.

I love the stock seats for that reason. To each their own.
Coheed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:20 PM   #228
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
The Recaro seats are a bit different. I don't think comparing them to standard aftermarket Recaro is fair.
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 06:22 PM   #229
JS + BRZ
Banned

Drives: 2010 MS3
Thanked 1,161 Times in 597 Posts
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Oh, I didn't know it comes with the front lip only.
JS + BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 03:04 PM   #230
ToyoTires86

Drives: BRZ / 87 CRX
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Like the recaros.

Last edited by ToyoTires86; 06-27-2014 at 07:52 PM.
ToyoTires86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 09:28 PM   #231
DSOmegaX

Drives: '19 M2 Comp, '20 GR Supra
Thanked 2,153 Times in 986 Posts
Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krayzie View Post
I finally have time to read thru this entire thread. It's funny how a lot of people outside of Japan (primarily in North America, you have SOA and their marketing to blame for) have the misconception of STI and "tuned by STI". Nothing really changed for like 2 decades. The "STI" in the name "WRX STI" is just a trim level for the Impreza made by FHI, while "tuned by STI" is a limited production model by STI themselves (outside of FHI) that is equipped with most of their aftermarket products pre-installed plus some bespoked parts / tuning (I think this can be traced all the way back to the first gen Legacy RS STI Limited).

You can buy a "WRX STI" in Japan and still have STI aftermarket parts to buy for it, same goes for their other models in the line-up. There is actually an Impreza WRX STI tS in Japan lol!!

I think they came up with the "WRX STI" trim back when the STI aftermarket catalog was pretty much non-existent, and they tried to relate it to their world rallying efforts for homologation / marketing purposes. Isn't that how for example the BMW E30 M3 came about originally as well?

STI has always been famous for suspension and chassis tuning, not really about adding a turbo. Here are some of their marketing material in English:

http://www.sti.jp/e/parts/eye/index.html

http://www.sti.jp/e/parts/eye/parts_menu.html

http://www.sti.jp/e/parts/catalogue/index.html

http://www.sti.jp/e/product/previousmodel/index.html

BTW I think this BRZ with the limited power and acceleration it have is perfect for driving it all out on the streets from time to time. I've always wanted to buy something like a Honda Beat or Mazda Miata to roam around town. The BRZ is just that made for chubby people like me, plus it can merge into highways no problem. Perfect!
To add to this, tS cars are personally tuned and tested by STi's chief test driver, hideharu tatsumi, who always puts priority on improving handling and smoothness over power. He is one of the most respected drivers on the nurburgring and internally, "ts" is also referred to as tatsumi's spirit or setup (this is why you saw all those spy photos of the BRZ tS on the nurburgring). If anything, tS cars embody far more of what "STi" stands for then just the regular WRX STI model that Subaru builds as a trim.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

2019 BMW M2 Competition | LBB | ///M Performance Build Thread
2020 Toyota GR Supra | Turbulence | TRD | Build Thread
DSOmegaX is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DSOmegaX For This Useful Post:
krayzie (04-01-2014), SuperDave (04-09-2014)
Old 04-01-2014, 11:19 PM   #232
krayzie
Drive From Home

Drives: BRZ STI Performance
Thanked 3,111 Times in 2,007 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSOmegaX View Post
To add to this, tS cars are personally tuned and tested by STi's chief test driver, hideharu tatsumi, who always puts priority on improving handling and smoothness over power. He is one of the most respected drivers on the nurburgring and internally, "ts" is also referred to as tatsumi's spirit or setup (this is why you saw all those spy photos of the BRZ tS on the nurburgring). If anything, tS cars embody far more of what "STi" stands for then just the regular WRX STI model that Subaru builds as a trim.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
That's why when GT Channel asked the STI boss if the WRX STI tS is faster around the ring than the standard car, he said they don't have numbers to show for it, but they think the tS model could be faster because it inspires more confidence.

On their English marketing literature, they mention their parts are tuned according to handling feel, not actual performance figures.

I find it interesting after reading comments on the forum that some people would not buy into their parts because they adapt the same type of tuning parts to almost the entire Subaru line up, which does not translate to uniqueness to that specific model. As if putting STI parts on the BRZ would instantly turn it into having the same handling characteristics as an Impreza with STI parts lol! I think it's far from being just a fast food menu where it's just the same shit in a different form factor with the same taste (wouldn't this instead be actually very hard to engineer with cars?).
krayzie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to krayzie For This Useful Post:
sato (04-02-2014)
Old 04-05-2014, 07:38 PM   #233
ucsmfu

Drives: BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahdizzle View Post
The Recaro seats are a bit different. I don't think comparing them to standard aftermarket Recaro is fair.
does the seats have the heated option ?
Old 04-05-2014, 07:46 PM   #234
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucsmfu View Post
does the seats have the heated option ?
Don't know. But they have the bolster airbags
tahdizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:48 PM   #235
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Oh look they created a shopping cart for me. No research required to determine the differences.
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:49 PM   #236
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.chk View Post
Oh look they created a shopping cart for me. No research required to determine the differences.
Shopping cart link?

Sent from my C6906 using Tapatalk
sato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:52 PM   #237
t.chk

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sato View Post
Shopping cart link?

That would be the first page...It was a joke.
t.chk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #238
sato

Drives: Dodge Patitas
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by t.chk View Post
That would be the first page...It was a joke.
:-S

sato is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sato For This Useful Post:
t.chk (04-05-2014)

Tags
brz forum, brz forums, subaru brz, subaru brz forum, subaru brz forums