follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Off-Topic Discussions > Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions

Other Vehicles & General Automotive Discussions Discuss all other cars and automotive news here.

User Tag List

Old 02-07-2020, 04:04 PM   #155
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
If it's a legitimate mistake, a dispute can resolve the correction. If it's still a valid argument, then Tesla doesn't have to waste time chasing the person down.
But what if its a "legitimate" mistake on the part of Tesla, and it was active at the time of the test drive, and was a critical part of you making the decision to purchase the car? Shouldn't you be eligible to get your money back for the car, even if they didn't charge you for it?

Great sales tactic. "Hey Jeb, activate self driving on the car, I'm going to let them test drive while active, show it to them then later after they sign the deal we can take it back off".

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
korhun (02-07-2020), p1l0t (02-07-2020), ROFL it's Waffle (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 07:44 AM   #156
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
But what if its a "legitimate" mistake on the part of Tesla, and it was active at the time of the test drive, and was a critical part of you making the decision to purchase the car? Shouldn't you be eligible to get your money back for the car, even if they didn't charge you for it?

Great sales tactic. "Hey Jeb, activate self driving on the car, I'm going to let them test drive while active, show it to them then later after they sign the deal we can take it back off".
I would be surprised if this one guy's experience was the brand's stance on every person's scenario. I am open to the possibility of this happening to all people, but I'm not hard set on it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/07/16/s...ss-cancer.html

It reminds me when 5G cellular data services first started to crop up. From the article above , Dr. Curry made claims that the new radio frequency would basically alter genetic chromosomes and silently kill off humanity. His calculations were spot on, except he forgot to identify the shielding effects of human skin, which nulls out his claim of global destruction. That didn't stop more media coverage from blasting 5G "it's not safe!". I'm sure the SAR ratings will be much higher than before, just means we can't swallow our cellphones anymore.

So, the loudest guy in the room is the one that gets heard the clearest. That's what happened with the media coverage for the 2016 election.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
soundman98 (02-10-2020), Ultramaroon (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 08:27 AM   #157
Dadhawk
1st86 Driver!

Drives: '13 FR-S (#3 of 1st 86)
Thanked 24,939 Times in 11,376 Posts
Mentioned: 182 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROFL it's Waffle View Post
I would be surprised if this one guy's experience was the brand's stance on every person's scenario. I am open to the possibility of this happening to all people, but I'm not hard set on it.
No I don't think this particular case was intentional deception on Tesla's part, but the fact they can arbitrarily reach out and turn off features (or even "update" features) on a vehicle I own outright is not acceptable to me.

In the end, once they sign the car over to me, it is mine, and I should have the right to accept or reject any modifications from the manufacturer. Even with recalls you have that option unless legally mandated for registration (see valve spring discussion).

I will not purchase a car from a manufacturer that doesn't agree with that right.

Visit my Owner's Journal where I wax philosophic on all things FR-S
Post your 86 or see others in front of a(n) (in)famous landmark.
What fits in your 86? Show us the "Junk In Your Trunk".
Dadhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dadhawk For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (02-10-2020), ROFL it's Waffle (02-10-2020), Ultramaroon (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 02:45 PM   #158
ROFL it's Waffle
The guy w/o an FRS or BRZ

Drives: '23 GR86 Premium 6MT Halo White
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
No I don't think this particular case was intentional deception on Tesla's part, but the fact they can arbitrarily reach out and turn off features (or even "update" features) on a vehicle I own outright is not acceptable to me.

In the end, once they sign the car over to me, it is mine, and I should have the right to accept or reject any modifications from the manufacturer. Even with recalls you have that option unless legally mandated for registration (see valve spring discussion).

I will not purchase a car from a manufacturer that doesn't agree with that right.
I needed to bring in some visual aids (which failed to load during the forum reboot) and quote the article.

"Alec bought a 2017 Tesla Model S on December 20 of last year, from a third-party dealer who bought the car directly from Tesla via auction on November 15, 2019. The car was sold at auction as a result of a California Lemon Law buyback, as the car suffered from a well-known issue where the center-stack screen developed a noticeable yellow border."

Breaking it down, the car was "bought back" through the lemon law. Ehh, this is pretty shady. The car IS optioned with those two features totaling $8,000. I was trying to think "well, maybe these are options that can be added" and then I read the next option "Red multi-coat paint," which can't just be removed LOL. This VIN is basically permanent proof that these options belonged to the car since day 1, so any doubt of payment or non-payment is forfeited when the car goes to auction. After that, traceability shouldn't really matter. If they are "watching" what options I have or don't have well after the first ownership, maybe they're spying on me whenever they want to turn on the camera...

I won't be buying from that company any time soon either.
ROFL it's Waffle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ROFL it's Waffle For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (02-10-2020), soundman98 (02-10-2020)
Old 02-10-2020, 07:51 PM   #159
soundman98
ProCrastinationConsultant

Drives: '14 Ranger, '18 Tacoma 4Dr LB
Thanked 13,673 Times in 6,781 Posts
Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
this is one of those situations where it seems all the information is right in front of me, but my gut says some sort of information is still missing that explains all of this...

even john deere isn't this shady.. they at least went about it through legal means...
Dadhawk (02-10-2020), p1l0t (02-10-2020)
Old 02-11-2020, 09:48 PM   #160
soundman98

so the same quote came up. though the commentor has the different perspective that tesla enabled the features as a "this is what you could have", and then they were supposed to be disabled once the vehicle was sold. difference is the 3rd-party dealer misunderstood the length of activation, added it as a feature on the paperwork, and now the customer believes they had a 'feature' taken away, when it was really just the automotive equivalent of bloatware/trialware.

https://tech.slashdot.org/story/20/0...er-it-was-sold

Quote:
little1973 shares a report from The Verge:
Tesla has remotely disabled driver assistance features on a used Model S after it was sold to a customer. The company now claims that the owner of the car, who purchased it from a third-party dealer -- a dealer who bought it at an auction held by Tesla itself -- "did not pay" for the features and therefore is not eligible to use them. The features were enabled when the dealer bought the car, and they were advertised as part of the package when the car was sold to its owner.

The owner in question, who Jalopnik refers to as Alec, purchased the car last December. The dealer bought the car a month earlier from a Tesla auction, with both "Enhanced Autopilot" and "Full Self Driving Mode" features intact, according to Jalopnik, which reviewed documents related to the car's ownership and sale. The dealer then listed the Model S, advertising both features. However, unbeknownst to the dealer, Tesla had independently conducted a software "audit" of the car after selling it, and disabled those features in a December update. The end result: when Alec picked up the car on December 20th, he did not have access to all its advertised features.
Here's what a Tesla customer support representative told Alec: "Tesla has recent identified instances of customers being incorrectly configured for Autopilot versions that they did not pay for. Since, there was an audit done to correct these instances. Your vehicle is one of the vehicles that was incorrectly configured for Autopilot. We looked back at your purchase history and unfortunately Full-Self Driving was not a feature that you had paid for. We apologize for the confusion. If you are still interested in having those additional features we can begin the process to purchase the upgrade."

The report notes that the value of the self-driving features comes out to about $8,000.
this is not all that different than oem's setting up tv's to display different color spectrums for store display models...
Irace86.2.0 (02-12-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 12:20 PM   #161
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
There is definitely customization potentially.

Some food for thought. It appears the Cybertruck polls well:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tes...s-respect/amp/
p1l0t (03-02-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 09:02 PM   #162
soundman98

22 people? that's not a study! that's a few blokes at a bar...

even disasters like me can find 22 other people to agree with
Dadhawk (03-03-2020)
Old 03-02-2020, 10:05 PM   #163
Irace86.2.0

Drives: Q5 + BRZ + M796
Thanked 5,805 Times in 3,299 Posts
Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundman98 View Post
22 people? that's not a study! that's a few blokes at a bar...

even disasters like me can find 22 other people to agree with
I’m not saying this is some double-blind study. Actually, if it was then I believe 15 is the lowest number for statistical significance (it has been almost two decades since my statistics class), and even that isn’t needed for results to be compelling, as it is in the case of medical studies, for example.

Yeah, I would’t hang my hat on this “study” either, so take it for what it is.
Old 03-02-2020, 10:19 PM   #164
soundman98

the people i've talked to, it seems most suv owners are most interested in it. the working class guy's i know that already have trucks, go camping, hunting, etc., have stated that they've got no interest in it..

to me, that makes sense. it's more of an suv with a bed than a truck.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:20 AM   #165
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Drives: 2013 FRS LS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post
There is definitely customization potentially.

I'm a functional kind of guy... So forgive me when I ask, why do you need body armor bars to protect a "nearly impenetrable exoskeleton"?
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
Tomm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
korhun (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 05:25 AM   #166
korhun
Database error

Drives: BRZ
Thanked 1,657 Times in 614 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomm View Post
I'm a functional kind of guy... So forgive me when I ask, why do you need body armor bars to protect a "nearly impenetrable exoskeleton"?
Some people might find it functional.

korhun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to korhun For This Useful Post:
Tomm (03-05-2020), Ultramaroon (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 05:32 AM   #167
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by korhun View Post
Some people might find it functional.

lol, I'd love to see what they anchor down to... Probably held in by double sided tape.
ACT Clutches - APEXi - Buddy Club - Carbing - DBA - Diode Dynamics - Fidanza - HKS - ICT Performance - Project Kics - RPM Transmissions - SEIBON - Sikky Manufacturing - SPC - Tick Performance - TK Style - VERUS - VOLK - Whiteline
The Following User Says Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
korhun (03-05-2020)
Old 03-05-2020, 05:48 AM   #168
Tomm
Identifying as a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irace86.2.0 View Post

That poll is extremely misleading...
"Cybertruck Building Support with Construction Pros"

"Intent to buy was higher than we expected, with 5 of the 22 intending to purchase a Cybertruck in the next 5 years." BUUUUT " only 4 of 22 could name the truck." What? How did that happen?

"We entered the conversations expecting to hear clear concerns about EV’s shortcomings. Instead, 10 of the 22 said their next truck will be electric, 4 undecided, and 8 expecting to stay with an internal combination. In other words, two-thirds of construction pros are positive or neutral on EV’s." ~ There's your title right there.

If these "construction pros" can't identify the cybertruck then I doubt they could identify the Atlis, Neuron, Rivian, or Lordstown EV trucks either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tomm For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (03-05-2020), korhun (03-05-2020)

Tags
knowitallsavingtheworld, longwindedcocksuckers