follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 08-08-2018, 05:46 PM   #57
Chris14a

Drives: Jdm gt86
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Hi

Sorry to bring up a old thread but i have a issue with my smt ecu not communicating correctly as when I go to start my car I get the orange key symbol and i have to press the start button once amd the car will beep and the orange key light comes on and the smart key led flashes, I then hold my smart key on the start button this then turns the ignition on and the key symbol goes green ,The car will then start. When the car is running the orange key symbol flashes.

It is flagging error code b2799 which is related to the key ecu and engine ecu not communicating. I have used tech stream and the car will do a "handshake" with the key using the start but and recognises it but will not pick the key up any other way. I have tried this procedure with another ecu that the car would notrun with and now ot will run but it still requires the emergency start procedure.

Does anybody have any ideas or should i have started a new thread.

Thanks Chris
Chris14a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:07 PM   #58
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris14a View Post
Hi

Sorry to bring up a old thread but i have a issue with my smt ecu not communicating correctly as when I go to start my car I get the orange key symbol and i have to press the start button once amd the car will beep and the orange key light comes on and the smart key led flashes, I then hold my smart key on the start button this then turns the ignition on and the key symbol goes green ,The car will then start. When the car is running the orange key symbol flashes.

It is flagging error code b2799 which is related to the key ecu and engine ecu not communicating. I have used tech stream and the car will do a "handshake" with the key using the start but and recognises it but will not pick the key up any other way. I have tried this procedure with another ecu that the car would notrun with and now ot will run but it still requires the emergency start procedure.

Does anybody have any ideas or should i have started a new thread.

Thanks Chris

Replace the battery in key fob will sort it
If you have a read of owners manual it explains the key symbols and beeps
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:11 AM   #59
Chris14a

Drives: Jdm gt86
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
Replace the battery in key fob will sort it
If you have a read of owners manual it explains the key symbols and beeps
Unfortunately i do not have a owners manual as the car didnt come with one from japan. I have replace the key batterys and nothing changed. My car was changed to keyless entry in japan as originally it came with a standard key but the car arrived to me like it is. I think one of the ecu's is miss matched but dont know how to re sync them.

Thanks Chris
Chris14a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:23 AM   #60
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Chris14a: find owners manual in pdf form online from one of toyota's sites. My car also didn't come with one, but found/downloaded for reference pdfs both in english and translated in local/native language, IIRC from here.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 06:03 PM   #61
Trapgodfrs

Drives: Black FRS
Hey guys I’m a absolute noob at this, when you “loop pins 4 and 13” are you switching the pins on the obd port or looping them together?
Trapgodfrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:01 PM   #62
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapgodfrs View Post
Hey guys I’m a absolute noob at this, when you “loop pins 4 and 13” are you switching the pins on the obd port or looping them together?

No dont need to remove pins or wires mate. Just use a peper clip or other small piece of wire to connect 4 and 13 togeather, just poke one end in 4 and other in 13 of obd port
Old 10-29-2018, 07:11 PM   #63
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trapgodfrs View Post

No dont need to remove pins or wires mate. Just use a paper clip or other small piece of wire to connect 4 and 13 togeather, just poke one end in 4 and other in 13 of obd port

See example here from different car

No need to remove the obd port like in video , just done so you can see conbwctions easier, jist loop the 4 and 13 sockets on connector

Old 11-28-2018, 07:34 PM   #64
CokeZero

Drives: 2015 brz
I need help.

My 15 BRZ the cluster doesn't come on. The car will not go into accessory mode or run or start. The hazard indicators flash in the cluster when their on.

The cluster, the clock, the radio, the power windows, the heated seats all do not work.

The lights, interior lights, horn, hazards all work fine. The car just won't turn on. (The obd port does get power too)

Ive replaced all 3 ecms, checked all fuses, made sure the battery was good, tried holding key to start button, nothing is working.

I cant do the pin 4 and 13 thing because the car wont even go into on mode. Could the immobilizer have something to do with this? If i took it to the dealer to get it all coded together again would that fix all these issues?
CokeZero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2018, 04:06 PM   #65
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeZero View Post
I need help.

My 15 BRZ the cluster doesn't come on. The car will not go into accessory mode or run or start. The hazard indicators flash in the cluster when their on.

The cluster, the clock, the radio, the power windows, the heated seats all do not work.

The lights, interior lights, horn, hazards all work fine. The car just won't turn on. (The obd port does get power too)

Ive replaced all 3 ecms, checked all fuses, made sure the battery was good, tried holding key to start button, nothing is working.

I cant do the pin 4 and 13 thing because the car wont even go into on mode. Could the immobilizer have something to do with this? If i took it to the dealer to get it all coded together again would that fix all these issues?

If the obd port is bot working either fhe obd port power fue is blown or you have dead ecu or a can buss problem. The engine ecu should be accessable via obd port regardless of security sync.

Why did you replace these parts, which units were replaced
Old 11-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #66
CokeZero

Quote:
If the obd port is bot working either fhe obd port power fue is blown or you have dead ecu or a can buss problem. The engine ecu should be accessable via obd port regardless of security sync.

Why did you replace these parts, which units were replaced
The obd 2 port does work. when I put a dongle on there it lights up. But I thought you had to be in the "on" position to be able to program anything.

In this pic #1, #6 and #7 were replaced. Because the car had got water in it.

Would them not being programmed cause the cluster not to light up? I assumed it still would. maybe even turn over, just not start.

The Toyota dealership in my town said they can't reprogram mine that only a Subaru dealership can (which i dont have in my town)
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to CokeZero For This Useful Post:
steve99 (11-30-2018)
Old 11-30-2018, 06:33 AM   #67
steve99
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CokeZero View Post
The obd 2 port does work. when I put a dongle on there it lights up. But I thought you had to be in the "on" position to be able to program anything.

In this pic #1, #6 and #7 were replaced. Because the car had got water in it.

Would them not being programmed cause the cluster not to light up? I assumed it still would. maybe even turn over, just not start.

The Toyota dealership in my town said they can't reprogram mine that only a Subaru dealership can (which i dont have in my town)
the only unit in the security set you can easily swap yourself is the engine ecu, the other will require dealer programming unfortunatly
Old 12-01-2018, 01:27 PM   #68
CokeZero

Quote:
the only unit in the security set you can easily swap yourself is the engine ecu, the other will require dealer programming unfortunatly
Isn’t the dealer programming tech stream? If they do it with that, why can’t we?
Old 12-01-2018, 04:13 PM   #69
steve99
Banned

I belive its possible to re code some modules if you have a dealer level techstream. But some modules ie imobilisier and keys require access to an external database.

Ive not done other modules just ecu

You wil! Also need the full service manual, which has the proceedures to change each module. These oroceedures must be ferformed ecaxtly and in sequence

Even without security sync of modules you should be able to access them via can buss. For example the ecu should be accessable via obd port as soon as ignition full on. If not you have other issues like power bad connections or other dead modules interferring with can buss communications
Old 12-01-2018, 05:15 PM   #70
CokeZero

That’s what I’ve been saying all along. The obd has power but can’t put the push button start into full on mode