follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 03-01-2016, 03:47 PM   #1
austin_ellas

Drives: Asphalt 2014 FRS
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
My OFT is basically bricked

TL;DR at the bottom.

Hey guys! I'm hoping I can get some help from the community since Shiv hasn't replied to me for 3 weeks.

I've been running a modified OFT tune since August or so of last year and my car has been running great. I haven't needed to update a tune for a while so my OFT has been sitting silently in my glove box since November or December.

Three weeks ago I plugged it into my computer and while it took a fairly long time to update, it didn't seem too out of the ordinary. I put a new tune on it and took it out to my car to flash the ECU. When I tried to start the write process I got this message: "File corrupt. Weird." I tried again to no avail.

I plugged it back into the computer and it looked like it was unmarried. It wouldn't let me upload my stock tune or erase any remaining data until I reflashed my stock tune (which seemingly isnt on the tablet anymore .) Basically, it's bricked and I cant do rear or write any tunes. Data logging and real time info still work fine though.

Here's my short lived email convo with Shiv:

Me: Feb 10
Hi! I've been using my OFT to tune my FRS for 6+ months now and have encountered my first serious issue and it has me completely stumped.

Yesterday I uploaded a tune from my PC to the tablet, got into my car with it with doors closed and power off, plugged it in, and when I clicked "Tuning" and I got a message saying "File corrupt. Weird." I tried unplugging and re-plugging the cord from both the OBD II port and the tablet with no success.

I went back to my PC and opened OpenFlash Manager and plugged the OFT in. It took several minutes (much longer than usual) downloading updates or something, and when the device was finally connected, it showed that it had no information or tunes uploaded, like it was unmarried.

Fortunately, I do have my original tune file backed up, but the OFT would not allow me to upload it. When I tried, it gave me a message saying it was the "incorrect file size."

The tablet itself has never been dropped/abused/crushed/thrown etc. and my car battery is charged so I'm not sure why it would have erased the data saved on it or unmarried itself. I've also flashed my ECU and edited tune files via RomRaider several times in the past with zero issues. What do you think my issue could be?

Currently, since I'm running a different tune on my car and the stock tune is not on the tablet and cant be uploaded, I'm stuck and can't use it at all. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Shiv: Feb 10
Hi Austin,
That’s very strange. Could you please connect the OFT to your laptop and run OF Manager. Then go to Debugging and press START. This will generate a debugging file (.prolog). Please email that to me so I can have my programming team look at it. Hopefully we can resolve it remotely through software update. Worst case scenario, we replace your OFT with a new one. I’m sorry for the hassle!

Best Regards,
Shiv Pathak

Sure! I ran debugging last night so I already have the file. Thanks for the quick response. (attached debug file here)

Thank you for the file. You should hear back from me by tomorrow. Sorry again for the inconvenience..

Best Regards,
Shiv Pathak
OpenFlash Performance

Now I wont bore you guys with my follow up emails, but he still hasn't replied to me or any of the follow ups that I sent on the 13th, 24th and 29th.

Before anyone asks, I did the write/flash process correctly and have done so several times in the past. Have other users experienced the same problem or is there a way I can manually erase/unmarry the tablet myself?

I'm currently on an E85 tune and don't like the idea of not being able to switch to pump gas on the go if need be.

TL;DR my OFT bricked itself after a software update and Shiv wont reply to my emails. I wasn't being an asshat either.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by austin_ellas; 03-01-2016 at 04:05 PM.
austin_ellas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 03:49 PM   #2
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin_ellas View Post
TLDR; at the bottom.

Hey guys! I'm hoping I can get some help from the community since Shiv hasn't replied to me for 3 weeks.

I've been running a modified OFT tune since August or so of last year and my car has been running great. I haven't needed to update a tune for a while so my OFT has been sitting silently in my glove box since November or December.

Three weeks ago I plugged it into my computer and while it took a fairly long time to update, it didn't seem too out of the ordinary. I put a new tune on it and took it out to my car to flash the ECU. When I tried to start the write process I got this message: "File corrupt. Weird." I tried again to no avail.

I plugged it back into the computer and it looked like it was unmarried. It wouldn't let me upload my stock tune or erase any remaining data until I reflashed my stock tune (which seemingly isnt on the tablet anymore .) Basically, it's bricked and I cant do rear or write any tunes. Data logging and real time info still work fine though.

Hi! I've been using my OFT to tune my FRS for 6+ months now and have encountered my first serious issue and it has me completely stumped.

Yesterday I uploaded a tune from my PC to the tablet, got into my car with it with doors closed and power off, plugged it in, and when I clicked "Tuning" and I got a message saying "File corrupt. Weird." I tried unplugging and re-plugging the cord from both the OBD II port and the tablet with no success.

I went back to my PC and opened OpenFlash Manager and plugged the OFT in. It took several minutes (much longer than usual) downloading updates or something, and when the device was finally connected, it showed that it had no information or tunes uploaded, like it was unmarried.

Fortunately, I do have my original tune file backed up, but the OFT would not allow me to upload it. When I tried, it gave me a message saying it was the "incorrect file size."

The tablet itself has never been dropped/abused/crushed/thrown etc. and my car battery is charged so I'm not sure why it would have erased the data saved on it or unmarried itself. I've also flashed my ECU and edited tune files via RomRaider several times in the past with zero issues. What do you think my issue could be?

Currently, since I'm running a different tune on my car and the stock tune is not on the tablet and cant be uploaded, I'm stuck and can't use it at all. Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Hi Austin,
That’s very strange. Could you please connect the OFT to your laptop and run OF Manager. Then go to Debugging and press START. This will generate a debugging file (.prolog). Please email that to me so I can have my programming team look at it. Hopefully we can resolve it remotely through software update. Worst case scenario, we replace your OFT with a new one. I’m sorry for the hassle!

Best Regards,
Shiv Pathak

Sure! I ran debugging last night so I already have the file. Thanks for the quick response. (attached debug file here)

Thank you for the file. You should hear back from me by tomorrow. Sorry again for the inconvenience..

Best Regards,
Shiv Pathak
OpenFlash Performance

Now I wont bore you guys with my follow up emails, but he still hasn't replied to me or any of the follow ups that I sent on the 13th, 24th and 29th.

Before anyone asks, I did the write/flash process correctly and have done so several times in the past. Have other users experienced the same problem or is there a way I can manually erase/unmarry the tablet myself?

I'm currently on an E85 tune and don't like the idea of not being able to switch to pump gas on the go if need be.

TLDR; my OFT bricked itself after a software update and Shiv wont reply to my emails. I wasn't being an asshat either.

Thanks in advance.
PM Shiv on here too. From what I have heard he is great at responding?

BTW thanks for the TL;DR, thats all I read lol
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
austin_ellas (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:04 PM   #3
austin_ellas

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_a_way1 View Post
PM Shiv on here too. From what I have heard he is great at responding?

BTW thanks for the TL;DR, thats all I read lol
I just sent him a PM!

Figured the TLDR would be helpful! I ended up writing more than I thought!
The Following User Says Thank You to austin_ellas For This Useful Post:
go_a_way1 (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:08 PM   #4
go_a_way1
Not Bаnned Anymore

Drives: Heavily Modified FRS
Thanked 8,274 Times in 4,797 Posts
Mentioned: 355 Post(s)
Tagged: 374 Thread(s)
Quote:
I just sent him a PM!

Figured the TLDR would be helpful! I ended up writing more than I thought!
** beep*beep*beep ** @Shiv@Openflash ** beep*beep*beep **

Hopefully this mention will also work but sometimes they dont work on this site. Now we wait!
go_a_way1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to go_a_way1 For This Useful Post:
austin_ellas (03-01-2016), zc06_kisstherain (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 04:28 PM   #5
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
We have had a couple of guys in australia with same issue the sent oft in for repair or replacement under warantee and received new oft
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 04:56 PM   #6
Calavera

Drives: Scion FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
I would drive up and pay them a visit. But that's me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #7
FirstWinter

Drives: Car
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Their customer service is usually excellent from my own experience and other people on the forums. You try giving them a phone call?
FirstWinter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FirstWinter For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 05:31 PM   #8
DannyQ86

Drives: 2013 frs
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
I believe they are in Danville, why not drive up there and handle this in person. It's like a 45 min drive from San Jose right?
DannyQ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DannyQ86 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2016, 06:43 PM   #9
Shiv@Openflash

Drives: 2013 FRS
Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,494 Posts
Mentioned: 605 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
TL;DR at the bottom.

Hi Austin,

Best Regards,
Shiv Pathak

Best Regards,
Shiv Pathak
OpenFlash Performance

TL;DR my OFT bricked itself after a software update and Shiv wont reply to my emails. I wasn't being an asshat either.

Thanks in advance.
Hi Austin-- Sorry about that. for some reason your email ended up in my spam folder. Must have had something to do with the debugging file you sent me a couple weeks ago. I just sent you an email.

Cheers
shiv
Shiv@Openflash is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
austin_ellas (03-01-2016), Chrisgalactic (03-01-2016), go_a_way1 (03-02-2016), lextrueno (03-01-2016), murdoc (03-01-2016), zc06_kisstherain (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:00 PM   #10
austin_ellas

Awesome! Thanks Shiv.

I knew something was wrong considering all the good things I've heard about your CS.
The Following User Says Thank You to austin_ellas For This Useful Post:
murdoc (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:15 PM   #11
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Hey when this is figured out, if you don't mind could you post what caused the issue so the rest of us can potentially avoid it?
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:17 PM   #12
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
Hey when this is figured out, if you don't mind could you post what caused the issue so the rest of us can potentially avoid it?
I think we already closed that hole in the code that allowed this to happen. So hopefully we never see this issue again!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
ChrisFL (03-02-2016), murdoc (03-01-2016), zc06_kisstherain (03-02-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 08:22 PM   #13
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiv@Openflash View Post
I think we already closed that hole in the code that allowed this to happen. So hopefully we never see this issue again!
Great news since I placed my order yesterday.
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 08:45 PM   #14
Shiv@Openflash

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
Great news since I placed my order yesterday.
Nice.. thanks for the order! February has been the business month we have ever had thanks to everyone's support
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shiv@Openflash For This Useful Post:
austin_ellas (03-01-2016), DustinS (03-02-2016)