follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 10-05-2021, 06:42 PM   #1
Christian628

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Exhaust with Bash bar

Will the Invidia q300 work with a rear bash bar like the street faction one with the jack point? I need something quieter, but I have the bash bar and not looking to get rid of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christian628 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2021, 07:15 PM   #2
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,895 Posts
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian628 View Post
Will the Invidia q300 work with a rear bash bar like the street faction one with the jack point? I need something quieter, but I have the bash bar and not looking to get rid of it.

You probably should get rid of it if you drive it on the street. Not having crash structure is just a bad idea. That way you fix 2 problems at once.
Yoshoobaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
Wally86 (10-06-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 09:12 PM   #3
Christian628

Get rid of the bash bar? The car came with the bash bar I would have nothing in the rear if I did that. I’m just looking to get a new exhaust because mine is loud.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:13 PM   #4
Christian628

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshoobaroo View Post
You probably should get rid of it if you drive it on the street. Not having crash structure is just a bad idea. That way you fix 2 problems at once.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:18 PM   #5
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian628 View Post
Get rid of the bash bar? The car came with the bash bar I would have nothing in the rear if I did that. I’m just looking to get a new exhaust because mine is loud.

yes. Get a factory crash bar from a wrecker, that way a simple rear-end accident won't turn into a bent chassis and neck surgery.

Bash bars are advertised as track only for a reason.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
churchx (10-05-2021), Ultramaroon (10-06-2021), Wally86 (10-06-2021), x808drifter (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 03:29 AM   #6
x808drifter
LMGTFY

Drives: 13 FRS, 91 Miata
Thanked 3,646 Times in 1,625 Posts
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
And to elaborate more.
If you are involved in a wreck, insurance may try to F you in the A because it is not road legal.
x808drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to x808drifter For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (10-06-2021), Wally86 (10-06-2021), Yoshoobaroo (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 10:20 AM   #7
spcmafia

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ
Thanked 4,132 Times in 1,981 Posts
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
It will work, it has around the same dimension as True Focus Fab bash bar.

Below my old setup with a Q300.
Attached Images

VIP BRZ (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 01:34 PM   #8
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Exhaust with Bash bar

Quote:
Originally Posted by spcmafia View Post
It will work, it has around the same dimension as True Focus Fab bash bar.

Below my old setup with a Q300.

I realize it’s pretty pointless to argue about aesthetics, but why? As a pragmatic solution on a track only car, sure this works, but it just looks unfinished and -to me- it doesn’t look good.

Yea OP, I’d have a proper crash bar back up in there with the bumper fill panel or a similarly shaped diffuser. Street cars need street crash structure if you ask me.
Old 10-06-2021, 01:40 PM   #9
VIP BRZ

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
It will work,
THAK YOU helpful response

bunch of bash bar worry warts.... I swear

don't even think about mentioning the word spacer around these guys
VIP BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #10
spcmafia

Quote:
I realize it’s pretty pointless to argue about aesthetics, but why? As a pragmatic solution on a track only car, sure this works, but it just looks unfinished and -to me- it doesn’t look good.

Yea I’d have a proper crash bar back up in there with the bumper fill panel or a similarly shaped diffuser.

You would be correct. The inner rice kid in me came out and decided it was a good idea at the time. But I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, for some reason I love cars that don't have part of the rear bumper. Since the car is mostly for show and not track focused as of this moment, I just went with it.
Yoshoobaroo (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #11
spcmafia

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP BRZ View Post
THAK YOU helpful response

bunch of bash bar worry warts.... I swear

don't even think about mentioning the word spacer around these guys

There are modifications that can fulfill a look, rather than fill an unrealistic expectation performance wise. For example, the bash bar is just for looks and personal preference, so I don't go around telling people is because my vehicle is track focused and I do tire changes on the fly. I also have 30mm spacers on the rear and 25mm on the front. The difference is that I don't expect any performance gains. Same thing with Lightweight Crank pulleys. I like them because they are shinny and I love shiny stuff.

Pop tunes on the other hand are an abomination and should lead you straight to jail.
Old 10-06-2021, 03:33 PM   #12
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Exhaust with Bash bar

You can say it’s your choice and it doesn’t affect anyone else all you want, the point is that IT DOES.

Running non-factory crash structure, or eliminating the crash structure altogether as these bars do, makes the car more dangerous to you and anyone that you potentially hit or are hit by. Whether that’s another car, a truck, or a toddler on a triycle. The stock bumper set up was made to minimize injuries in all these scenarios. That bash bar wasn’t tested for shit.

Putting your fingers in your ears and saying ‘La La La it’s my choice’ doesn’t change the fact that these types of mods have real consequences in the real world. Once again they are marketed as track only for a reason. This isn’t in any way similar to running spacers. My personal general rule is: if it’s TUV certified, go nuts. If it’s good enough for the Germans it’s good enough for me.

In the end, it IS your choice. But know that the responsibility of the potential consequences of that choice is also yours. Like @x808drifter said, one of those consequences is that your insurance may choose to not honor your coverage with these parts installed.

Last edited by Yoshoobaroo; 10-06-2021 at 04:36 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
norcalpb (10-06-2021), pope (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:16 PM   #13
spcmafia

Quote:
You can say it’s your choice and it doesn’t affect anyone else all you want, the point is that IT DOES.

Running non-factory crash structure, or eliminating the crash structure altogether as these bars do, makes the car more dangerous to you and anyone that you potentially hit or are hit by. Whether that’s another car, a truck, or a toddler on a triycle. The stock bumper set up was made to minimize injuries in all these scenarios. That bash bar wasn’t tested for shit.

Putting your fingers in your ears and saying ‘La La La it’s my choice’ doesn’t change the fact that these types of mods have real consequences in the real world. Once again they are marketed as track only for a reason. This isn’t in any way similar to running spacers. My personal general rule is: if it’s TUV certified, go nuts. If it’s good enough for the Germans it’s good enough for me.

In the end, it IS your choice. But know that the responsibility of the potential consequences of that choice is also yours. Like @x808drifter said, one of those consequences is that your insurance may choose to not honor your coverage with these parts installed.

I completely share your sentiment, I do. I really do. Yes, it is my choice, and there are consequences to it. Like being denied an insurance claim if I ever get rear-ended. But just like performance parts, we all take a risk. For example, by installing headers, my warranty gets void. By tuning it. By installing a supercharger, turbo, or any performance part that your local state deems illegal.
Adding yet another part to a vehicle that already contains so many things that deem it illegal, is kind of the risk we all take when purchasing parts. It could be CARB legal, but in the eyes of many insurance policies, adding any performance part will either raise the price of your premium, or get you kicked out. I highly doubt Im the only one with performance parts, or any part that makes the car to cross the line.

Yoshoobaroo (10-06-2021)
Old 10-06-2021, 07:23 PM   #14
Yoshoobaroo
TRACKBREAD

Garage
Quote:
I completely share your sentiment, I do. I really do. Yes, it is my choice, and there are consequences to it. Like being denied an insurance claim if I ever get rear-ended. But just like performance parts, we all take a risk. For example, by installing headers, my warranty gets void. By tuning it. By installing a supercharger, turbo, or any performance part that your local state deems illegal.
Adding yet another part to a vehicle that already contains so many things that deem it illegal, is kind of the risk we all take when purchasing parts. It could be CARB legal, but in the eyes of many insurance policies, adding any performance part will either raise the price of your premium, or get you kicked out. I highly doubt Im the only one with performance parts, or any part that makes the car to cross the line.

Agreed.
I didn't mean to make it seem like I was singling you out for having the part installed, I felt some more detail was appropriate because OP seems to have bought the car in the state that it is and may not be aware of what they have on their hands.
The Following User Says Thank You to Yoshoobaroo For This Useful Post:
spcmafia (10-06-2021)