follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 2nd Gens: GR86 and BRZ > GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86)

GR86 General Topics (2nd Gen 2022+ Toyota 86) General topics for the GR86 second-gen 86

User Tag List

Old 08-30-2021, 09:37 AM   #57
Stonehorsw

Drives: 18 Brz (Sold) / 22 BRZ
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blighty View Post
Yeah mine were the same after 8 years. Not faded. I think I got the interior protected though So long ago its hard to remember.
Which products can be used to protect leather and almost-alcantara?
Stonehorsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 10:45 AM   #58
NoHaveMSG

Drives: Crapcan
Thanked 16,253 Times in 7,346 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spektyr View Post
Funny, because it was this very forum that insisted driving summer tires below the glass transition temperature would significantly damage them, complete with supporting evidence.

“Summer” tire is a very wide scope with a wide range of characteristics and qualities. Primicy’s are very different then A052’s.
Dake (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 12:36 PM   #59
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Funny, because it was this very forum that insisted driving summer tires below the glass transition temperature would significantly damage them, complete with supporting evidence.
I assume you're referencing this thread here, that itself links to the Tire Rack article here?

The operative phrase in the Tire Rack article is "High Performance Summer Tire". The Primacies are not high performance tires. Yes, they're summer tires, and yes, they are not meant for driving at or near freezing all winter long. But they are not going to be damaged on the drive home from the dealer. Here is what Michelin says:

Quote:
Summer tires are designed for year round usage but should not be used during the winter season where temperatures are colder and approach freezing consistently as their performance would be less than optimal.
So yeah - once your Kansas winter fully sets in, they are not the right tires to use. But the interweb shows average Kansas temps in October range from highs of 70 to lows of mid-40.

I guess when you said in your first post that you hoped to drive the car a bit before winter hit, it sounded like this was going to be a second/weekend vehicle. If it's going to be your daily, then you'd want winter tires regardless of what it came with. If the plan was to AutoX or track it, you'd want different tires regardless. If the plan was to buy the car, tool around a bit for the tail end of Fall and then put it away until Spring? You'll be fine.

Lastly, complaining about the tires Toyota puts on their entry-level sports car is kind of silly. Porsches come with PS4s; those aren't great in the winter either, but it is what it is. Even then, early on Toyota did switch over to Bridgestone All-seasons in northern markets for the winter season - I don't know if that's something that has continued in recent years though, maybe someone can chime in.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
NoHaveMSG (08-30-2021)
Old 08-30-2021, 01:34 PM   #60
StE92ve

Drives: 2014 Mazda CX-5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dake View Post
Even then, early on Toyota did switch over to Bridgestone All-seasons in northern markets for the winter season - I don't know if that's something that has continued in recent years though, maybe someone can chime in.
Yes, the 2020 86 offered a no cost option for the Bridgestone TURANZA EL400-02 which is a Standard Touring All Season. IMO, a better option than these would be to drive home on a tireless rim..... Will be interesting to see if they will offer an All Seasons option on the GR86.
StE92ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 06:00 PM   #61
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
I assume you're referencing this thread here, that itself links to the Tire Rack article here?
Actually no, I'm referring to this thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145442

Quote:
The operative phrase in the Tire Rack article is "High Performance Summer Tire". The Primacies are not high performance tires. Yes, they're summer tires, and yes, they are not meant for driving at or near freezing all winter long. But they are not going to be damaged on the drive home from the dealer.
Don't really care about the Primacies, that's not what I'm getting on a GR86 Premium.

Quote:
So yeah - once your Kansas winter fully sets in, they are not the right tires to use. But the interweb shows average Kansas temps in October range from highs of 70 to lows of mid-40.
If I can order the car maybe starting in October and it will arrive maybe 4-8 weeks after that I'm fairly certain the average temps in October aren't going to be relevant.

Quote:
I guess when you said in your first post that you hoped to drive the car a bit before winter hit, it sounded like this was going to be a second/weekend vehicle. If it's going to be your daily, then you'd want winter tires regardless of what it came with. If the plan was to AutoX or track it, you'd want different tires regardless. If the plan was to buy the car, tool around a bit for the tail end of Fall and then put it away until Spring? You'll be fine.
Here's how it works: I don't want to drive on any tire that's below its glass transition temperature because that CAN damage the tire. Maybe it doesn't always. Maybe some people have done it repeatedly and suffered no damage. Maybe they have suffered damage and just didn't notice. None of that matters. It can happen.

I believe that tires are kind of important to the safe operation of a vehicle. I know that my wife will drive this car and ride in it as a passenger. I may be willing to be somewhat cavalier with my own life, but I don't roll the dice with hers.

Therefore, I still consider it important to know at what temperature the tires can be safely driven on, even if your idea of "safe" and mine don't agree.

Quote:
Lastly, complaining about the tires Toyota puts on their entry-level sports car is kind of silly. Porsches come with PS4s; those aren't great in the winter either, but it is what it is. Even then, early on Toyota did switch over to Bridgestone All-seasons in northern markets for the winter season - I don't know if that's something that has continued in recent years though, maybe someone can chime in.
I'm not complaining about the tires. I'm expressing dismay that Toyota would deliver a car to a customer in winter with it sitting on summer tires. To me that sounds like a major opportunity for a lawsuit unless they very specifically detail the risks and get a signed waiver - particularly in the USA where the population is particularly litigious.

People should take more personal responsibility, and educate themselves about things like this but we don't live in that mythical world. We live in a world where we need warning labels to tell people not to stop a chainsaw blade with their genitals.

Yet I'm fairly certain that if I bought a GR86 while it was -14F the most I'd get from the dealership would be a "careful, roads are slippery" kind of warning. (I have yet to meet someone at a car dealership that seemed to know anything about cars in general - to say nothing of tires.)
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2021, 08:14 PM   #62
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Actually no, I'm referring to this thread: https://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145442
Wait, you have had two threads on this subject now?
Old 08-30-2021, 08:22 PM   #63
Dake

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
You know... we all have the things we obsess over. I'll leave ya to it.
Dake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dake For This Useful Post:
CaptainFenderbaum (10-28-2021), NoHaveMSG (08-30-2021)
Old 08-31-2021, 10:24 AM   #64
Spektyr

Drives: GR86
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoHaveMSG View Post
Wait, you have had two threads on this subject now?
Nope.

I had one thread with several questions about the Gen 1 cars, which included questions about the tires on those cars.

This thread is specifically about the different model tires on the Gen 2 Premium car.
Spektyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 12:10 AM   #65
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires

Drives: what
there is a sale this weekend at discount tire direct and you can get a set of Michelin AS4 for 170 off. swap them on after you take delivery of the car.
MyHybridBurnsGasAndTires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #66
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
so much noise in this thread. i'm not sure why it's so complex.

don't drive this car in the winter (below 40F) regardless if you have the Primacies or PS4. get some properly rated all-season or winter tires.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 10:53 AM   #67
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
so much noise in this thread. i'm not sure why it's so complex.

don't drive this car in the winter (below 40F) regardless if you have the Primacies or PS4. get some properly rated all-season or winter tires.

Where do you keep coming up with 40F or under? Out of curiosity as I have only seen that stated on extreme performance summer tires. And is that sunny or cloudy day?

Is it better to run an appropriate tire for the conditions, yes. Is it absolutely required and causing damage, probably not.
Dake (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:03 AM   #68
ayau

Quote:
Where do you keep coming up with 40F or under? Out of curiosity as I have only seen that stated on extreme performance summer tires. And is that sunny or cloudy day?

Is it better to run an appropriate tire for the conditions, yes. Is it absolutely required and causing damage, probably not.
It's the industry standard. Why are you questioning it? Do have additional inside OEM tire knowledge?

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tip...e%20its%20grip.

Nobody is forcing you. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
Spektyr (09-01-2021)
Old 09-01-2021, 11:24 AM   #69
NoHaveMSG

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
It's the industry standard. Why are you questioning it? Do have additional inside OEM tire knowledge?

https://www.michelinman.com/auto/tip...e%20its%20grip.

Nobody is forcing you. Do what makes you feel comfortable.
I am less posting about what I think you should run, and more commenting on the doom and gloom people are saying about summer tires becoming damaged being below the glass transition temperature.

One companies statement does not make it an industry standard. Though again, this is mostly a performance recommendation that I agree with.

OEM tire knowledge for passenger cars, no. I am an OEM for another industry with mostly inapplicable usage conditions and constructions with 3 different manufacturers making our product in 2 different countries. Rubber compounds are very very similar to a passenger tire, mostly the usage and construction of the casing is much different.
Old 09-01-2021, 11:51 AM   #70
ayau

Quote:
I am less posting about what I think you should run, and more commenting on the doom and gloom people are saying about summer tires becoming damaged being below the glass transition temperature.

One companies statement does not make it an industry standard. Though again, this is mostly a performance recommendation that I agree with.

OEM tire knowledge for passenger cars, no. I am an OEM for another industry with mostly inapplicable usage conditions and constructions with 3 different manufacturers making our product in 2 different countries. Rubber compounds are very very similar to a passenger tire, mostly the usage and construction of the casing is much different.
I'm more concerned about my safety than damaging the rubber on my tire from the low temps. Use the right tires for the right application.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
Sasquachulator (09-01-2021), Spektyr (09-01-2021)