follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Engine, Exhaust, Transmission

Engine, Exhaust, Transmission Discuss the FR-S | 86 | BRZ engine, exhaust and drivetrain.

User Tag List

Old 07-07-2021, 01:29 AM   #183
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I have the HKS Hi-Power V1 fartcan, would this also work for me? its not an axelback but a cat back system with only 3 Mufflier Hangers...I'm also driving around with earplugs lol

If anyone want to combine orders lmk (I'm in Cali)

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
YSoAggressive (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:08 AM   #184
YSoAggressive
Exhaust Lord

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrickingReallySlow View Post
I have the HKS Hi-Power V1 fartcan, would this also work for me? its not an axelback but a cat back system with only 3 Mufflier Hangers...I'm also driving around with earplugs lol

If anyone want to combine orders lmk (I'm in Cali)

Just based off my experience and a few others in this thread, if you have pretty bad drone it’s not going to do much for you. It’s not really about how many hangers there are really just the nature of the catback itself. Either buy a silencer for the v1 or look for a catback with less drone seems to be the general consensus. The only people I see who don’t have too much of an issue with the drone seem to be the people with Turbo kits partnered with the HKS single V1 exhaust because the turbo setup quiets the exhaust a bit
YSoAggressive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2021, 02:47 AM   #185
saltywetman

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT 6M
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSoAggressive View Post
Just based off my experience and a few others in this thread, if you have pretty bad drone it’s not going to do much for you. It’s not really about how many hangers there are really just the nature of the catback itself. Either buy a silencer for the v1 or look for a catback with less drone seems to be the general consensus. The only people I see who don’t have too much of an issue with the drone seem to be the people with Turbo kits partnered with the HKS single V1 exhaust because the turbo setup quiets the exhaust a bit
Could also be different posters labelling different cabin noises as "drone". As OP stated, the "drone" that these hangers seem to help with is resonance caused by the exhaust pipe vibrations that seems to transfer right through the bottom of the cabin.

For me, this was especially noticeable at highway speeds where the engine is around 3k rpm. My resonance noises seemed to be generated from the middle of the car. After the hangers, the resonance was around 70-80% gone and I heard more of the exhaust coming from the rear of the car. Although the resonance was for the most part subdued at highway speeds, it simply lifted a veil off of tire/road noise that was masked by all the resonance prior.

Could be also catback related since invidia's are notorious for being noisy things. Maybe they generate too much vibration for the hangers to dampen before the resonance transfers to the cabin? Based on your results, maybe we can conclude that these hangers will be ineffective for invidia catbacks

I can confidently say from my own results the hangers were definitely not placebo. The shift in source of exhaust sound at highway speeds from center of the cabin to the rear of the car were very noticeable
saltywetman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to saltywetman For This Useful Post:
BoxerRumble (07-19-2021), sugoi (07-07-2021), YSoAggressive (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 02:58 AM   #186
YSoAggressive
Exhaust Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltywetman View Post
Could also be different posters labelling different cabin noises as "drone". As OP stated, the "drone" that these hangers seem to help with is resonance caused by the exhaust pipe vibrations that seems to transfer right through the bottom of the cabin.

For me, this was especially noticeable at highway speeds where the engine is around 3k rpm. My resonance noises seemed to be generated from the middle of the car. After the hangers, the resonance was around 70-80% gone and I heard more of the exhaust coming from the rear of the car. Although the resonance was for the most part subdued at highway speeds, it simply lifted a veil off of tire/road noise that was masked by all the resonance prior.

Could be also catback related since invidia's are notorious for being noisy things. Maybe they generate too much vibration for the hangers to dampen before the resonance transfers to the cabin? Based on your results, maybe we can conclude that these hangers will be ineffective for invidia catbacks

I can confidently say from my own results the hangers were definitely not placebo. The shift in source of exhaust sound at highway speeds from center of the cabin to the rear of the car were very noticeable
For me when I refer to drone I mean this deep frequency and vibration that somewhat rattled my head starting at the ears. That’s the best way I can describe it. It creates pressure in your ear because it rumbles throughout the entire cabin and is most apparent at cruising speeds. I think that the assumption that Invidia exhausts are too drony to be affected by this trick isn’t a bad thought. The N1 is notoriously one of the worst if not the worst catback drone wise despite being a dual exit exhaust. It outranks some of the louder single exits which is very impressive. The N2 is the same catback just the second version but even from just the catback alone I remember it having a fair amount of drone compared to its near stock levels of volume from outside. You couldn’t tell that it was near silent outside because it was so loud as a result of the drone on the inside. I hear the r400 or the q300 aren’t like this but I’m just going to rule out the Invidia exhausts to be safe. Now I’m curious about the Blitz Nur Spec R. Great sounding catback even with Catless headers, fairly loud, but a few users reported that it had next to no drone but need more people to come out to confirm this. Otherwise just back to square one and will have to submit my soul to the CSG gods and get the CSG Touring 86 exhaust
The Following User Says Thank You to YSoAggressive For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (07-07-2021)
Old 07-07-2021, 08:01 AM   #187
YCK

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 2019
Just registered to the forum to say thank you to the OP. This has helped with my setup, the hangers made a noticeable difference in the cabin noise level. I am running PSR catless UEL headers + Perrin 2.5 catback. I have been running this for a year or so but over time the exhaust had become too boomy for my liking, between 2K and 3K RPM and I was about to revert to the stock exhaust. It's probably more to do with the novelty wearing off rather than the exhaust getting noisier to be honest. I was running the perrin hangers too as my previous attempt to solve the cabin vibration (a lot stiffer than both OEM versions). I installed 4 for now.
YCK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YCK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 01:05 PM   #188
YSoAggressive
Exhaust Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by YCK View Post
Just registered to the forum to say thank you to the OP. This has helped with my setup, the hangers made a noticeable difference in the cabin noise level. I am running PSR catless UEL headers + Perrin 2.5 catback. I have been running this for a year or so but over time the exhaust had become too boomy for my liking, between 2K and 3K RPM and I was about to revert to the stock exhaust. It's probably more to do with the novelty wearing off rather than the exhaust getting noisier to be honest. I was running the perrin hangers too as my previous attempt to solve the cabin vibration (a lot stiffer than both OEM versions). I installed 4 for now.
I’m sure this doesn’t make to big of a difference but how come only 4? There’s 5 correct?
Old 07-07-2021, 01:22 PM   #189
RToyo86

Drives: 17 Asphalt 86
Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,123 Posts
Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Good call. The TRD exhaust has a bit of drone. This should knock this out
That is what I am hoping for.

If nengun ship estimate is accurate I'll have them by the 16th same day I grab the exhaust.
RToyo86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RToyo86 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 07:16 PM   #190
YCK

Drives: Toyota 86 GTS 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by YSoAggressive View Post
I’m sure this doesn’t make to big of a difference but how come only 4? There’s 5 correct?
I thought I'd try just the muffler first to see if it makes a difference. I will definitely swap the last one on the mid-pipe next time the car is on jack.
YCK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to YCK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2021, 08:41 PM   #191
FrickingReallySlow

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
This got me thinking the design of the Hanger is really unique. The rubber holes doesn't securely surround the metal hook (therefore transfers less sound/vibrations) There's also a middle connected section that doesn't exist on any other hanger which probably acts like a resistor of sorts to dissipate the sounds -> thermal. You could probably use this for any vehicle in the future for this purpose

We could potentially put some butyl tape (1mm) on the metal hooks or Damping grease to isolate the sound even more!

Interestingly subaru lists these as "Subaru clamp Mounting pipe silencer system" in their catalog as FA1 723-906. Searching for this actually turns up more results on eBay and UK part sites. I've found UK sites selling them fo $1.5 shipping to USA $100 haha. So anyone in UK is gonna be really happy.

FrickingReallySlow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FrickingReallySlow For This Useful Post:
saltywetman (07-07-2021), YSoAggressive (07-07-2021)
Old 07-08-2021, 04:55 AM   #192
NLSP

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
Good call. The TRD exhaust has a bit of drone. This should knock this out
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
That is what I am hoping for.

If nengun ship estimate is accurate I'll have them by the 16th same day I grab the exhaust.

I'm gonna try to get around installing them on my TRD exhaust this weekend. Hoping it helps with the drone too.
NLSP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to NLSP For This Useful Post:
RToyo86 (07-08-2021)
Old 07-09-2021, 10:59 AM   #193
RToyo86

To anyone ordering from nengun it looks like they're backordered. My order updates to arrive October 21. I've emailed Blackhawk japan to see what their inventory is looking like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLSP View Post
I'm gonna try to get around installing them on my TRD exhaust this weekend. Hoping it helps with the drone too.
Let us know how that goes.
Old 07-09-2021, 11:33 AM   #194
StraightOuttaCanadaEh
Wes

Drives: Artisan Spirits '17 86
Thanked 1,674 Times in 994 Posts
Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RToyo86 View Post
To anyone ordering from nengun it looks like they're backordered. My order updates to arrive October 21. I've emailed Blackhawk japan to see what their inventory is looking like.

Let us know how that goes.
Bought from blackhawk 2 weeks ago and they arrived Monday. Pretty fast. They shipped with DHL and you'll have to pay $20 in duties. Getting them installed next week
Old 07-09-2021, 11:42 AM   #195
fryfun

Drives: 2014 Subaru BRZ DGM Limited
Installed on my 2.5” Perrin. Reduced 3k rpm resonance by 50%.

The metal clamps that comes with the exhaust were completely rusted out. Had to cut them to take the OEM exhaust hanger off. Now I am contacting Perrin to see if I can get 5 of them to secure these new hangers in place.
fryfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 11:46 AM   #196
RToyo86

Quote:
Originally Posted by StraightOuttaCanadaEh View Post
Bought from blackhawk 2 weeks ago and they arrived Monday. Pretty fast. They shipped with DHL and you'll have to pay $20 in duties. Getting them installed next week
I will need to contact nengun and see what they can do. They mention a restocking fee on order cancellations.
Worst case I'll install the catback without the hangers. That will give me the ability to update later on how they perform on a TRD with a header.

I noticed there are some weird resonance frequencies with the Corsa around 80km and 125km.

Curious if the hangers will solve that issue.

Last edited by RToyo86; 07-09-2021 at 12:12 PM.