follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 01-24-2015, 07:14 PM   #29
hmong337
Emperor JDM

Drives: '91 MR2 Gen3 3SGTE, '13 FRS
Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
Do you change hardware often enough for it to matter?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love an 80sec flash time as well but a few minutes is so far from a deciding factor for me.
You're not going to be saying that while on a dyno believe me. Especially trying to tune something more intricate like a turbo system. Street tuning, sure. But not on a dyno at $120/h and it takes 5-7min to load tiny changes!
Old 01-25-2015, 06:04 AM   #30
troek

Drives: 2012 Toyota 86
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
already been messing with this, seems to work great.
troek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 07:17 AM   #31
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
They have USB dongles that can interface with a laptop (Tactrix) and yes I realize that you are looking for a tablet app but I'm curious what cool possibilities do you envision that would be possible with such a setup that isn't possible with the current OFT?
Wireless tuning could be dangerous, but if the tunes were downloaded on the tablet, and then wirelessly transferred to the dongle, then the tablet really becomes just the display and data download device, much like my laptop that I wirelessly receive the tunes through now. The downloaded tunes then would reside on the dongle for upload to my the ECU. The weakest part of the OFT is the display.

It would be net to figure out how to integrate OFT with a current app like Dash Command or Torque. The OFT hardware would then look like an ELM327 that could stay plugged in. All the OFT brains would be in the little box plugged into the OBD II.

John
Old 01-25-2015, 07:45 AM   #32
cruizin01

Drives: 13' BRZ
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Got mine working yesterday finally. The old links were stuck in my cache or something i guess. Finally got the new links.

Interested in seeing a video with recommend alerts.

Sent from HTC M8 while in burnout mode
cruizin01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 08:45 AM   #33
Malt

Drives: 2015 WRX
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 View Post
Wireless tuning could be dangerous, but if the tunes were downloaded on the tablet, and then wirelessly transferred to the dongle, then the tablet really becomes just the display and data download device, much like my laptop that I wirelessly receive the tunes through now. The downloaded tunes then would reside on the dongle for upload to my the ECU. The weakest part of the OFT is the display.

It would be net to figure out how to integrate OFT with a current app like Dash Command or Torque. The OFT hardware would then look like an ELM327 that could stay plugged in. All the OFT brains would be in the little box plugged into the OBD II.

John
While I understand your idea in concept, it seems what your asking for adds much complexity (wifi on both devices, storage on the dongle, battery on the tablet) which would quite possibly add significantly to the cost and the only benefit would be the elimination of wires. If they were to develop an app and move to just a dongle and you use a android/iOS tablet then you add additional hardware that some would have to buy. One of the biggest selling points of the OFT is the cheap entry price and the value of what you actually get for that price.

I agree that it would be nice for those of us that already have tablets and the convenience of being able to utilize them instead of the OFT itself so one wouldn't have to swap out devices to switch between torque and tuning but at the price that such a device would command would most likely put it out of the bargain category and into a more premium market. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I imagine the time and effort it would take to develop such a device could be better spent bettering the current device.
Malt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 12:11 PM   #34
phobos512

Drives: 2014 FR-S 6MT Whiteout
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
I agree, wireless flashing sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Chrysler does this already. Before my FR-S I had a 13 Ram 2500. They let ,e come in the bay while we were trying to figure out enabling DRLs and that's when I learned they use a WiFi interface for diagnostics and flashing. It plugs in to the OBD port and sits on the dash and then they talk to it from the computer. I was pretty impressed. They did tell me not all dealers have it yet, though (this was this time last year).
Old 01-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #35
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post
Chrysler does this already. Before my FR-S I had a 13 Ram 2500. They let ,e come in the bay while we were trying to figure out enabling DRLs and that's when I learned they use a WiFi interface for diagnostics and flashing. It plugs in to the OBD port and sits on the dash and then they talk to it from the computer. I was pretty impressed. They did tell me not all dealers have it yet, though (this was this time last year).
My buddy that does tuning on Ford trucks does the wireless thing as well. I was surprised when he told me about it.

Last edited by Andrew025; 01-25-2015 at 01:37 PM.
Andrew025 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2015, 01:57 PM   #36
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
I suppose you could buffer the entire firmware onto the dongle, and then have the dongle write it once it's been verified. That should be plenty safe.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 04:56 PM   #37
jdcorbitt3

Drives: 2013 red FR-S, OFT. 2000 Miata SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malt View Post
While I understand your idea in concept, it seems what your asking for adds much complexity (wifi on both devices, storage on the dongle, battery on the tablet) which would quite possibly add significantly to the cost and the only benefit would be the elimination of wires. If they were to develop an app and move to just a dongle and you use a android/iOS tablet then you add additional hardware that some would have to buy. One of the biggest selling points of the OFT is the cheap entry price and the value of what you actually get for that price.

I agree that it would be nice for those of us that already have tablets and the convenience of being able to utilize them instead of the OFT itself so one wouldn't have to swap out devices to switch between torque and tuning but at the price that such a device would command would most likely put it out of the bargain category and into a more premium market. That isn't necessarily a bad thing but I imagine the time and effort it would take to develop such a device could be better spent bettering the current device.
I was thinking of as a second choice. The cost of manufacturing would be less as a patch chord and a display would not be needed. However, I seriously dought anyone tuning their car doesn't have a smartphone or tablet. Two years ago, the smartphone became more populous than the "dumb" phone, at least in the US.

John
Old 01-26-2015, 05:27 PM   #38
Amaya

Drives: 2015 Scion FR-S 6MT
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
The wireless thing is pretty cool, but it's a good bit more expensive and doesn't add a whole lot of benefits unless you are working on cars all day that require more complex diagnostic processes. I have personally only ever used wired scan tools but the cable was always long enough for it to reach wherever you were working. If you have a networked pc software package to go with the wireless scan tool you can have less experienced techs plug the connector in while working on a car and a more senior/experienced tech can easily run through diagnostics and freeze frame data on multiple cars from a remote location (even entirely offsite) and giving the less experienced tech directions. For a larger/high volume shop that can can be more efficient/profitable but for an individual not so much.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:15 PM   #39
Nardi330

Drives: 86
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
awesome update boys. thanks!!

now the only thing missing is the ability to store multiple logs!
Nardi330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #40
Target70

Drives: 2013 Asphalt 6spd
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdcorbitt3 View Post
I was thinking of as a second choice. The cost of manufacturing would be less as a patch chord and a display would not be needed. However, I seriously dought anyone tuning their car doesn't have a smartphone or tablet. Two years ago, the smartphone became more populous than the "dumb" phone, at least in the US.

John
we are out there. If my tracphone prepaid minutes didn't expire after a year, I would still be running on the ones I bought 4 years ago.
Old 01-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #41
nunonuna

Drives: FR-S
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nardi330 View Post
awesome update boys. thanks!!

now the only thing missing is the ability to store multiple logs!
+1 this~
nunonuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #42
k.houan

Drives: BRZZZ
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Garage
When is the video coming? Sounds like an awesome feature!
k.houan is offline   Reply With Quote