follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Old 12-07-2014, 08:59 AM   #7141
CarGuy
Track Rat

Drives: '14 Subaru BRZ
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
^^^ Ballast for drifting in the snow?

Racing is life. Anything before or after is just waiting. - Steve McQueen
CarGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarGuy For This Useful Post:
FRS_Ken (12-08-2014), OrangeGuitar (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 09:34 AM   #7142
HeadBanger

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
So my DD took a shit. The fuel pump died.
Might have to drive the BRZ for a little while at least.
Old 12-07-2014, 10:01 AM   #7143
pushrod
Benched 86lb

Drives: Ultramarine FR-S
Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
I've seen lots of twins on the road lately. Someone parked right beside me (on purpose) last weekend at 168 Sushi. I don't think it's the best winter car, but so far so good, other than the other day when my passenger window froze shut.
pushrod is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pushrod For This Useful Post:
jhx741 (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #7144
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
In Montreal this weekend and had my Mom in the car for the first time. We're driving down the road doing a whopping 47kmh and my Mom starts freaking out because I'm going too fast. LOL.

Needless to say, she didn't want to do donuts.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
Mike86CelicaGTS (12-07-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 11:02 AM   #7145
HeadBanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvincent View Post
In Montreal this weekend and had my Mom in the car for the first time. We're driving down the road doing a whopping 47kmh and my Mom starts freaking out because I'm going too fast. LOL.

Needless to say, she didn't want to do donuts.
My mom refuses to get into my car.
In her defense, she knows damn well that we'll be sideways come the first turn lol At least she likes the car.
Old 12-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #7146
KingGeo

Drives: FRS
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC86 View Post
Hello everybody here! I do drive a 2013 Scion FR-S Red, but not a member of the Ottawa group yet, but looking into it.

Currently reside in Toronto, and thinking of making the move to Ottawa in the near term.
I will be visiting Ottawa for the second time either this coming Friday, or the following, and while I know where Parliament Hill is, I do not know anything else about Ottawa.

Looking for a future home, and I was wondering if any of the locals here would recommend areas or neighbourhoods to check out? Since it's gonna be a one day trip, I've so far come up with Stittsville, Orleans, and going to also check out Alymer on the QC side.

I'll be making a few visits over the next few months, but any other recommendations, or even thoughts about the places I've mentioned? Any info from the locals would be great

Thanks All!

Alan C
Welcome Alan!
Where best to live in Ottawa is going to be very subjective. I'd say look at where your commute will take you.
Those of us who work in kanata mostly live in the west end, working downtown you are screwed east or west.
Quebec will have higher taxes if you make a lot of money and add to that if you live QC but work in ontario, however property can be cheap.
I live west end, bells corners, because its cheap and small town feeling. Easy walk to grocery stores and pubs, very important! Lots of nature at my door, but that can be true in many parts of Ottawa.

Good luck hunting!

I am originally from TO but 20 years in the Ottawa area now, no desire to go back.
Love TO but cost of living is nuts compared.
KingGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KingGeo For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 12:13 PM   #7147
UMB FR-S

Drives: Ultramarine Blue FR-S
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Garage
Ya where to live is going to be subjective to your needs. I'm in Orleans myself and I enjoy it very much. But it seems most people just like where they live wherever it is in the city. The east is nice because when comuting your not staring at the sun on the way to work and on the way home haha.
The Following User Says Thank You to UMB FR-S For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #7148
AC86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Thanks all for the advice! Being closer to Calabogie was definitely a plus when considering this, but a smaller city than Toronto was a major factor. Cost of living in Toronto is definitely a reason, and a more family oriented city would be nice too.
Where I will work will be variable. I'm currently an electrician in Toronto, and I chose to live somewhere central. In Ottawa I would hope to do the same, but I am hoping the rush hour over there is more tolerable than here. I'll also be looking into work prospects next week while I'm here. I've heard the majority of work is in the downtown area though. In any case, I'll be making a few trips and famliarizing myself with the city. Bells's corner, I'll look into that as well.
Only thing I am hoping for though, is a cheap enough place but with lots of garage space to work on the car. I know it's a lot easier to find that in Ottawa than in Toronto.
Thanks for all the replies!

Alan C
AC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 05:39 PM   #7149
UMB FR-S

Garage
Quote:
Thanks all for the advice! Being closer to Calabogie was definitely a plus when considering this, but a smaller city than Toronto was a major factor. Cost of living in Toronto is definitely a reason, and a more family oriented city would be nice too.
Where I will work will be variable. I'm currently an electrician in Toronto, and I chose to live somewhere central. In Ottawa I would hope to do the same, but I am hoping the rush hour over there is more tolerable than here. I'll also be looking into work prospects next week while I'm here. I've heard the majority of work is in the downtown area though. In any case, I'll be making a few trips and famliarizing myself with the city. Bells's corner, I'll look into that as well.
Only thing I am hoping for though, is a cheap enough place but with lots of garage space to work on the car. I know it's a lot easier to find that in Ottawa than in Toronto.
Thanks for all the replies!

Alan C
Union electrician?
Old 12-07-2014, 06:10 PM   #7150
AznKirby
Are you 20/20?

Drives: Hopes and dreams
Thanked 1,310 Times in 703 Posts
Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
@AC86 Depends on where you want to work, really.
That is a much bigger factor than the proximity to the race track.

I work in Aylmer, and as family-friendly as it is, it's way too far if you were to commute to Ottawa every day. Also, there's nothing to do there. Coming from Montreal, I like things to be relatively close and at a walking distance if possible. But that's just me!

Welcome to the Ottawa thread, Alan.

IG: @MonKehC
AznKirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 07:28 PM   #7151
Pbrown

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS Raven
Thanked 1,322 Times in 658 Posts
Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Barrhaven

More FRS/BRZ per capita. Can take back roads to anywhere in the city, less snow, Seems the foul weather follows the Ottawa River which Kanata, Aylmer and Orleans all are close too( think Hail). Not as large as Orleans, very family oriented, largest hockey organization in Canada. A little more expensive than Orleans but cheaper than Kanata. Close to where we meet on Friday nights. Flame away guys. LOL
Pbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Pbrown For This Useful Post:
FRS_Ken (12-08-2014)
Old 12-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #7152
AC86

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
@UMB Frs
Yes, I'm currently with LU353 in Toronto, and am going to pay a visit to LU586 in Ottawa to see what the procedure is to switch over. Everything is quite in the preliminary stages, so just trying to gather as much info as possible. I will need to find employment, and switch to the local union in Ottawa before I can settle.
@AznKirby
Thanks for the welcome. The proximity of the race track is just a novel idea... but not the key factor in my decisions... lol.

I too love walkable distances, but I also grew up in the suburbs of Toronto. Willing to go back to that life too... In Toronto, the traffic is quite horrendous so I understand bad commutes. In rush hour things are insane. Luckily my industry here starts relatively early, so commutes are around 30-50 min going home. Mind you this is around 3:30-4pm. Once you get past that, it's like an hour, depending on where your going.

I'll be experiencing the traffic from Alymer to Ottawa, and then back to Toronto this Friday. What's the usual travel time so I have a reference?
AC86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 08:46 PM   #7153
HeadBanger

Does anybody have a connection for license plate frames? I want something "custom" done
Old 12-07-2014, 08:55 PM   #7154
UMB FR-S

Garage
Quote:
@UMB Frs
Yes, I'm currently with LU353 in Toronto, and am going to pay a visit to LU586 in Ottawa to see what the procedure is to switch over. Everything is quite in the preliminary stages, so just trying to gather as much info as possible. I will need to find employment, and switch to the local union in Ottawa before I can settle.
@AznKirby
Thanks for the welcome. The proximity of the race track is just a novel idea... but not the key factor in my decisions... lol.

I too love walkable distances, but I also grew up in the suburbs of Toronto. Willing to go back to that life too... In Toronto, the traffic is quite horrendous so I understand bad commutes. In rush hour things are insane. Luckily my industry here starts relatively early, so commutes are around 30-50 min going home. Mind you this is around 3:30-4pm. Once you get past that, it's like an hour, depending on where your going.

I'll be experiencing the traffic from Alymer to Ottawa, and then back to Toronto this Friday. What's the usual travel time so I have a reference?
I am at member at local 586. I would talk to the hall as soon as possible if you are looking at transitioning. It is not all that easy to transfer over even if you are a member elsewhere