follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Wheels | Tires | Spacers | Hub -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack Specific topics relating to wheels and tires.

User Tag List
Racecomp Engineering

Old 07-06-2018, 03:52 PM   #57
TorontoNat

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Asphalt [Gray]
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvoll View Post
So normally, I wouldn't even slightly mod my new 2018 BRZ, but so many of you have added spacers to get a flush look, I thought the very slight increase in understeer wouldn't be a problem. So yesterday, I received a set of 20mm spacers from ft86speedfactory -- their own brand -- and put them on the rear wheels. So many have said that 20 in front and 25 in back would be perfect. Their spacers are really well built, hub centric, and just good looking. The only other functional mod I made on the car was replacing the OEM Primacies with 225 PS4S.

After taking the car on a test drive, the handling was an absolute disaster. Severe understeer and more difficult cornering. As for looks, to my eyes the poke was about 5mm too much on the rears, which really surprised me. I know the 225's are slightly wider than the stock 215's, so perhaps that is one of the issues. I think the understeer was multiplied by the extra sticky tires I had. I know that also putting spacers on the front will reduce some of the understeer, but I hate the look of poke in the front and if 20's were too big in the rear, then I'm not sure there is a good solution. If I'm only going 10-15's, it just isn't worth the effort in my book. I did have the advantage of taking a test drive just before and then one right after and perhaps that amplified the difference. I owned Porsches for 27 years so I am very sensitive to handling and suspension.

I guess I don't understand why this isn't more of an issue here. But I've learned a lesson that the Subaru/Toyota engineers knew what they were doing when "balancing" this car. No more mods for me except for accessories and perhaps an audio upgrade.

So I'll take them off today and put them up for sale at half price or so plus shipping. They are the nicest spacers I've ever purchased. Years ago, I did use some spacers on a couple of cars but I guess they were not as sensitive as this one....
Love this post.
So much yes.
Silly bad drivers thinking their setup is better than the samurai made stock setup.

rvoll (07-06-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 04:15 PM   #58
BasementN3k0
The Angry Brown Guy

Drives: 2016 Tacoma & 2018 86 GT Black
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD001 View Post
Gosh!! 4 pages in and this thread has taken a turn for the worse...
I concur.
BasementN3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BasementN3k0 For This Useful Post:
JD001 (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #59
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Didn’t read the whole thread but tires are probably the only change you’re actually going to feel. My suggestion is to take the spacers off to prove it’s not the spacers causing the change you’re feeling.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:54 PM   #60
rvoll

Drives: 2018 BRZ Limited, 2017 Sportage
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Didn’t read the whole thread but tires are probably the only change you’re actually going to feel. My suggestion is to take the spacers off to prove it’s not the spacers causing the change you’re feeling.
Spacers are off and for sale. I can feel a difference. The car just seems tighter and tracks better. I guess each to their own. It looks better with spacers, but it's hard to see the wheels when you're driving and I'd rather have it drive better than look better... (As I've learned, mileage may vary depending on the owner....)
rvoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:58 PM   #61
ermax

Drives: 2022 BRZ Limited Silver
Thanked 2,045 Times in 1,188 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quote:
Spacers are off and for sale. I can feel a difference. The car just seems tighter and tracks better. I guess each to their own. It looks better with spacers, but it's hard to see the wheels when you're driving and I'd rather have it drive better than look better... (As I've learned, mileage may vary depending on the owner....)

Interesting because the change in geometry is so incredibly small it’s essentially a cosmetic mod only.
ermax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ermax For This Useful Post:
Summerwolf (07-07-2018)
Old 07-06-2018, 06:30 PM   #62
rvoll

Quote:
Originally Posted by ermax View Post
Interesting because the change in geometry is so incredibly small it’s essentially a cosmetic mod only.
That's what I thought when I purchased them. That's why I was so surprised. But again, it seems that the vast majority of you either can't feel any difference or don't want to feel any difference, or believe that any change you make will be positive. A lot of driving feel is psychological -- and indeed, it was for me the first time I drove the car with the spacers on. The surprise factor made the difference larger than it actually was. So I tried it again, and the difference was definitely there. In fact, I drew a line on the road in a corner, checked the tire pressures, followed it several times with and without the spacers, and noticed my steering wheel had to be turned 1/4" to 1" more to make the turn with the spacers on the back. It may not be the technical definition of understeer, but it was there.

Oh, well, enough on this. Everyone will believe as they will in any event...
Old 07-07-2018, 12:57 AM   #63
Anthonyc77

Drives: 2017 Toyota 86 Halo
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Im personally not a fan of spacers just for the rare occurrence of failure (mainly with cheaper ones). However if you like the look, you should try running some up front as well as rear. Id bet the car would feel pretty similar to stock. Where as if you're only widening the front or the rear of course its going to feel a bit off.
Anthonyc77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 02:44 AM   #64
JD001

Drives: Subaru BRZ
Thanked 6,188 Times in 3,475 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
The Gazoo GT86 rally car wears spacers...
JD001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:43 AM   #65
rvoll

Quote:
The Gazoo GT86 rally car wears spacers...
I googled the rally car and took a look. It looks just like mine WITHOUT spacers. There was one with brake vents that looked like it might have some spacers in it but not the standard one. All of the pictures of those that actually raced didn't look like they had spacers. On the rears, it's fairly easy to tell because there is some slight poke with 20mm spacers.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:09 PM   #66
JD001

Quote:
I googled the rally car and took a look. It looks just like mine WITHOUT spacers. There was one with brake vents that looked like it might have some spacers in it but not the standard one. All of the pictures of those that actually raced didn't look like they had spacers. On the rears, it's fairly easy to tell because there is some slight poke with 20mm spacers.

See the order form. They have an option for 10mm spacers.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf GT86_Order_Request_2014_00.pdf (912.6 KB, 222 views)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:57 PM   #67
nikitopo

Drives: '15 BRZ RA
Thanked 1,944 Times in 1,261 Posts
Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quote:
So, this is the TMG rally car. Not a Gazoo car. I have said it again, but I guess it is ok to mention it again. I would never give too much importance on a Japanese manufactured car modified by Germans. And yes, I live in Germany . If I wanted such a car, then I would buy directly from a German manufacturer (BMW, Audi, Mercedes). By the way, I am not sure if this rally version ever made it to sell any considerable amount of cars. I remember some test runs with a development car, but I haven't heard much more. If I can recall correctly, only one team in Germany bought it (?). I am not sure if they still race with this one.
nikitopo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nikitopo For This Useful Post:
JD001 (07-07-2018), rvoll (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 02:15 PM   #68
churchx

Drives: 2014 GT86
Thanked 2,085 Times in 1,436 Posts
Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
In real rally cars (or rallycross) there is often very little left from original car. And if such heavy modified car is considered, imho it makes perfect sense to consider local shops to do the job. Not matter what original base car manufacturer is.
churchx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to churchx For This Useful Post:
JD001 (07-07-2018), rvoll (07-07-2018)
Old 07-07-2018, 03:45 PM   #69
JD001

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitopo View Post
So, this is the TMG rally car. Not a Gazoo car. I have said it again, but I guess it is ok to mention it again. I would never give too much importance on a Japanese manufactured car modified by Germans. And yes, I live in Germany . If I wanted such a car, then I would buy directly from a German manufacturer (BMW, Audi, Mercedes). By the way, I am not sure if this rally version ever made it to sell any considerable amount of cars. I remember some test runs with a development car, but I haven't heard much more. If I can recall correctly, only one team in Germany bought it (?). I am not sure if they still race with this one.
The cars weren't that popular because they understeered like a pig in mud...
Old 07-07-2018, 04:06 PM   #70
rvoll

Quote:
So I've read the posts that follow yours. It seems that the car you were referencing that had spacers was not raced much and turned like a pig. And you want to use that as a reference? And 10mm spacers? Really? I'm beginning to think that there is no good justification for using spacers at all. It just seems to be another ricer thing to make your car look more powerful than it is. And yeah, in the back of my mind, that's probably what was going on with me. Shame on me......
The Following User Says Thank You to rvoll For This Useful Post:
JD001 (07-07-2018)