follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List
steve99

Old 10-23-2015, 10:47 AM   #435
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Sorry, should have added my configuration info.

Stock intake and an OFH. No leaks, since generally things are pretty stable, other that right at that particular load point.

I was trying to figure out which MAF scale to start with as my baseline and noticed the odd behaviour in LTFT, which is when I looked at the MAF table and noticed the voltage scale.

If you look at the scale there are a lot of data points where it is fairly linear and then they actually get further apart (x-axis) right at the knee of the curve. Since we are interpolating data I would want it the other way around.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 07:29 AM   #436
thambu19

Drives: Scion FRS
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
@steve99
Any idea why the Takeda MAF scaling isnt proportional all the way? It seems to have a kink half way through. Does not look right to me. If the throttle body diameter or the higher flow rate through a better filter element is causing the higher flow it should show that delta all the way through the range
Attached Images

thambu19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 09:30 AM   #437
phrosty

Drives: 2013 FR-S
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thambu19 View Post
@steve99
Any idea why the Takeda MAF scaling isnt proportional all the way? It seems to have a kink half way through. Does not look right to me. If the throttle body diameter or the higher flow rate through a better filter element is causing the higher flow it should show that delta all the way through the range
Scale those parts in CL only and the lump should go away.
2013 Whiteout 6AT FR-S | Perrin Inlet Tube + 2.75" CAI | OpenFlash Header | P&L Catback | 4.88 Final Drive | Dialed in OFT 2.0x Stage 2 E85 | 18x8 Enkei Raijin + 225/40 Michelin Pilot Super Sport | 17x7 Stock + 215/45 Michelin X-Ice Xi-2
phrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 11:12 AM   #438
thambu19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrosty View Post
Scale those parts in CL only and the lump should go away.
you mean the scaling only needs to be done for the CL region? What about the OL region then?
Old 11-16-2015, 12:45 PM   #439
solidONE

Drives: FR-S Whiteout
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quote:
@steve99
The load limits need to be adjusted. With the unmodified load limit tables you will just about always get that lump in the 2.7~3.0 range due it it being the bottom bottom range of OL voltages. Load limits need to be raised to bring up the AFR at that range under OL operation.

cowardice is the mother of cruelty.
solidONE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 03:14 PM   #440
thambu19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by solidONE View Post
The load limits need to be adjusted. With the unmodified load limit tables you will just about always get that lump in the 2.7~3.0 range due it it being the bottom bottom range of OL voltages. Load limits need to be raised to bring up the AFR at that range under OL operation.
Is this because the Takeda intake has a larger diameter tubing at the MAF location and hence underreports voltage?
Old 11-16-2015, 05:43 PM   #441
solidONE

Quote:
Is this because the Takeda intake has a larger diameter tubing at the MAF location and hence underreports voltage?
I don't think so, although the difference in diameter and lack of air straightener will require different maf scaling and may end up with lower voltages as you said.

That lump is there to compensate for the insufficient fueling cause by too low of a value in the load limit tables under OL operation. Since the load limit will cap the lookup for fueling at say 1.1 g/rev on the OL fueling table, when the actual loads being seen are likely higher (maybe 1.2 g/rev) causing the AFR's to go lean in high load OL operation compared to mid/low load CL operation with the same voltages. So, when you put that lump in the maf scale to compensate it ends up being too rich under CL operation.

From Wayno's thread: http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94822

If you look at the load limit values comparing the stock load limit table with the modified ones below it you will notice that they are higher than the stock table from around 3000rpms. And if you were to take a WOT log you will also notice that the MAF voltages where that lump in the table you posted is, it would also be right around 3000rpms. Raising the load limit at that range will allow the computer to look up a richer value on the OL fuel table thus not requiring you to up the MAF scale to compensate.

On my car, which only has an drop in filter panel, the MAF scale will also end up looking a lot like the one you posted with that lump, if I kept the stock load limit tables.

Sorry if I'm not too good at explaining things. lol maybe one of the other guys will chime in with a better explanation.

Old 11-16-2015, 09:01 PM   #442
thambu19

Garage
@solidONE
So if someone bolts on the Takeda intake without any MAF scaling does the LTFT go +ve or -ve and by how much overall?
I sort of understand the concept a but but perhaps the answer to the above question can make me understand better.
Old 11-16-2015, 09:34 PM   #443
thambu19

Garage
Under which section of the OFT xml does the load limit table reside? I can't seem to find it. Sorry
Old 11-16-2015, 09:59 PM   #444
jvincent

Drives: 2022 WRB BRZ Sport-Tech
Thanked 1,410 Times in 715 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
You need to use Wayno's defs to see the load limit tables.
jvincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jvincent For This Useful Post:
thambu19 (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 10:39 PM   #445
steve99
Banned

Drives: FT86
Thanked 4,987 Times in 2,981 Posts
Mentioned: 598 Post(s)
Quote:
@solidONE
So if someone bolts on the Takeda intake without any MAF scaling does the LTFT go +ve or -ve and by how much overall?
I sort of understand the concept a but but perhaps the answer to the above question can make me understand better.
I posted up some baseline Takeda scaling in the first post in this thread

From memory the guy was getting fuel trims of aprox 15% before i did some quick scaling for him got it down to about 5% .

MAF sensors dont measure the entire quantity of air passing through the intake. They take a sample and then this is used to estimate the total flow of air.

Hence if the size of the tube the maf sensor sits in changes, or even the flow of air past the maf due to its positioning in air flow stream or turbulent flow all effect what maf "sees".

Each intake type is different and just because to have to move the maf scaling up/down does not necessarily mean the intake is flowing more or less, it could just be the positioning of sensor has effected the sample "seen" by the maf sensor to estimate the total air flow.

The MAF reading is then used as an input to generate the "engine load" parameter which is used in many ECU tables to determine ignition timing/fueling and cam timing etc applied at different loads.

So if maf is off it can effect many engine parameters.
steve99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to steve99 For This Useful Post:
solidONE (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #446
thambu19

Garage
@solidONE
I think I get it now. So there are two ways of making sure the AFR is right. 1. Adjust the MAF with a bump at 3.0V ish or 2. Increase load limit at around 3K rpm.

This is done because if not done the engine will run lean at 3K ish rpm. What about the other engine speeds then? Why would it not run lean at those? Is it because at the other engine speeds the load limit isnt clipping yet? Meaning to say that at 3K rpm the intake performs better than at other rpm?

Would you have a copy of @Wayno xml?
The Following User Says Thank You to thambu19 For This Useful Post:
solidONE (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #447
thambu19

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve99 View Post
I posted up some baseline Takeda scaling in the first post in this thread

From memory the guy was getting fuel trims of aprox 15% before i did some quick scaling for him got it down to about 5% .

MAF sensors dont measure the entire quantity of air passing through the intake. They take a sample and then this is used to estimate the total flow of air.

Hence if the size of the tube the maf sensor sits in changes, or even the flow of air past the maf due to its positioning in air flow stream or turbulent flow all effect what maf "sees".

Each intake type is different and just because to have to move the maf scaling up/down does not necessarily mean the intake is flowing more or less, it could just be the positioning of sensor has effected the sample "seen" by the maf sensor to estimate the total air flow.

The MAF reading is then used as an input to generate the "engine load" parameter which is used in many ECU tables to determine ignition timing/fueling and cam timing etc applied at different loads.

So if maf is off it can effect many engine parameters.
I agree. If the MAF is causing the engine to use a 15% positive fueling correction the engine will run as if it will bog down because it will be looking up a spark 15% higher which is usually more retarded. Worst would be at WOT where in OL the engine will receive 15% excess fueling for no good reason. I just did not understand that bump in the middle of the curve and I think @solidONE had a neat explanation as to why it is needed.

Edit: I think I was wrong with the assumption that the LTFT will make engine run rich in OL. The LTFT was merely correcting a lean condition in CL caused by under-reported voltage/maf so it basically brought the load evaluation back to square one. If that is the case then it wont make engine look up a wrong load and hence fueling/spark

Last edited by thambu19; 11-16-2015 at 11:23 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to thambu19 For This Useful Post:
solidONE (11-16-2015)
Old 11-16-2015, 10:45 PM   #448
solidONE

Quote:
@solidONE
From the looks of the scale you posted, LTFT would go up without changes to the stock maf scale. Higher fuel trims will require the MAF scale values to go up, and vice versa.

The def file provide by Vishnu do not have the Load limits defined. You can download Wayno's def files in his thread and he has the load limit tables defined under the Mass Airflow folder. Have fun!