follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-16-2021, 09:10 AM   #113
Transport3r

Drives: -
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
For me, performance driving at the track is all about managing grip at the absolute limits under braking, turn-in, apex, track out.
True. But you can’t do any of that on your commute. The manual transmission keeps me from feeling like a passenger.
Transport3r is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Transport3r For This Useful Post:
Th3rdSun (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:15 AM   #114
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2494 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadhawk View Post
I liked trying to get them to play to the beat of the AM music.
Accelerate and hey stop dead wherever they are when the vacuum is used to advance the timing.
Take foot off gas at high RPMs and they go to beat hell. Was about a 20% chance that at least one would take off into the unknown at a rate that approached escape velocity. Good thing they were only about 9" long and dirt cheap!
Dadhawk (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:18 AM   #115
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transport3r View Post
True. But you can’t do any of that on your commute. The manual transmission keeps me from feeling like a passenger.
I have been driving MTs for 45 years. I put about as much thought and engagement in shifting during a commute as I would if driving an AT. Having a MT does absolutely zero for me when commuting. The only time it shines at all is those rare occasions when I get to play.
86TOYO2k17 (04-16-2021), Dadhawk (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 09:27 AM   #116
The Red One
Planning summer road trip

Drives: 2019 Sport-tech RS. City car: GD3
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
I still miss the manual Choke on my first car.
The Red One is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Red One For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 10:03 AM   #117
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Red One View Post
I still miss the manual Choke on my first car.
Oh and the non hydraulic mechanical clutch system and unsynchronized square cut gears of the old army jeeps! Talk about being "engaged" in shifting!
Old 04-16-2021, 10:17 AM   #118
Th3rdSun

Drives: 2013 FR-S MT Hot Lava
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
In any car like ours with relatively low HP,driving it in an automatic for me just makes it feel like I'm driving a glorified go-kart.I just don't see the fun in that,but that's just my opinion and experience,ymmv.

I've mentioned this before,but when I heard Matt Farrah talking about it on Joe Rogan,he put it perfectly that after around 500 HP,it's dangerous to not have both hands on the wheel. Not saying that he's an authority of the auto industry and has any say in how they manufacture their vehicles,but what he says makes very practical sense.
Th3rdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:28 AM   #119
Ohio Enthusiast

Drives: 2018 BRZ
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
I found that my transmission preferences have been shifting recently. I always enjoyed a manual transmission, both for the direct control of the car and for the tactile operation of it.

For spirited driving, however, I find my self enjoying the manual transmission less - it detracts from the other aspects of the drive and adds complexity without giving enough of a reward for it. I find myself agreeing (a little grudgingly) with @ZDan's sentiment - the transmission becomes a means to an end of enjoying the winding road. I can imagine that on the track this would be doubly true.

This makes me consider an automatic fun car after the BRZ, which is somewhat of a good thing, as it opens up more options in the ever automatic car world (not to mention EVs).
Ohio Enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 10:46 AM   #120
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,027 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Not gonna lie, not having to shift actually *increases* the fun driving girlfriend's Honda Fit around town. Less to bother with, less attention diverted from driving. *Not* having to shift surprisingly *added* an element of fun and took away the "work" aspect of it.

Similar experience when I started working for an EV startup a log time ago. I'm also a motorcycle guy (faired and "naked" sportbikes primarily), and we were developing an electric 2-wheeler with a single-stage planetary gearbox. No clutch, no gear changes. And again that thing was *fun* around town! Just twist throttle and go, neat! Loved it a lot more than I expected to...
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 01:55 PM   #121
Th3rdSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
Not gonna lie, not having to shift actually *increases* the fun driving girlfriend's Honda Fit around town. Less to bother with, less attention diverted from driving.

I use to argue with a coworker about this all the time. I find that driving manual makes you pay way more attention to driving than driving automatic.

When driving MT,you are more likely to be more engaged in driving do to the fact that all four limbs are active in the action of operating the vehicle. When driving AT,you have a free foot and hand. People usually end up eating,messing with the radio,putting on makeup,texting,ect.,which in turn leads to more opportunity to be less attentive because you are "riding" around more than actually "driving". That's my take,at least.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Th3rdSun For This Useful Post:
FR-S2GT86 (04-18-2021), The Red One (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 02:06 PM   #122
Tcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post
I use to argue with a coworker about this all the time. I find that driving manual makes you pay way more attention to driving than driving automatic.

When driving MT,you are more likely to be more engaged in driving do to the fact that all four limbs are active in the action of operating the vehicle. When driving AT,you have a free foot and hand. People usually end up eating,messing with the radio,putting on makeup,texting,ect.,which in turn leads to more opportunity to be less attentive because you are "riding" around more than actually "driving". That's my take,at least.
I do all those things except texting and makeup while driving MT anyway. If you need to have extra attention to drive MT then you are either new or not doing it right! How the hell does using a hand and foot make you a "better" driver?
86TOYO2k17 (04-16-2021), Dadhawk (04-16-2021), NoHaveMSG (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:43 PM   #123
Jordanwolf
Rice King

Drives: '19 FWD master race CTR
Thanked 2,001 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
I do all those things except texting and makeup while driving MT anyway. If you need to have extra attention to drive MT then you are either new or not doing it right! How the hell does using a hand and foot make you a "better" driver?
The notion that MT makes you a better driver is stupid at best and egotistical at worst. It's really a means for saying you are better than the rest without saying it simply because you play with a hard stick and use your left leg while driving.

Enthusiastic drivers like MT, sure, but you can very well still be a shitty ass driver.

The only thing MT does for me is stops me from falling asleep. Any skill or w.e you want to call it (SHIVIC TYPO ARRO DORIFTO) can just as easily be learned, if not easier in an AT flappy paddles depending on what you're trying to do. Hell I was drifting FWD ATs on wet/snow/loose gravel asphalt because lol handbrake. RIP 1989 Accord.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jordanwolf For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-16-2021), Tcoat (04-16-2021)
Old 04-16-2021, 03:59 PM   #124
Th3rdSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordanwolf View Post
The notion that MT makes you a better driver is stupid at best and egotistical at worst. It's really a means for saying you are better than the rest without saying it simply because you play with a hard stick and use your left leg while driving.

Enthusiastic drivers like MT, sure, but you can very well still be a shitty ass driver.

The only thing MT does for me is stops me from falling asleep. Any skill or w.e you want to call it (SHIVIC TYPO ARRO DORIFTO) can just as easily be learned, if not easier in an AT flappy paddles depending on what you're trying to do. Hell I was drifting FWD ATs on wet/snow/loose gravel asphalt because lol handbrake. RIP 1989 Accord.
Well,I never said,"better". I said more attentive.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:03 PM   #125
Sasquachulator
Pavement Grey

Drives: 2020 Toyota 86 GT, 2017 BMW X1
Thanked 2,220 Times in 1,203 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
I think attention span is the same.

You just dont have extra limbs to do anything dangerous with a manual since your dealing with the shifter.
Sasquachulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:12 PM   #126
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,883 Times in 2,027 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Th3rdSun View Post

Those are some mighty big assumptions you got there...

I don't for a second believe that if someone goes from manual to auto that they're suddenly going to become less attentive drivers and be texting, applying makeup, eating, whatever all the time while driving. Also, I *never* feel like I'm just "riding around" while I am driving a car with an automatic transmission. At all. I'm driving. Same as with a manual except I can keep both hands on the wheel at all times.

If not having to think about or physically perform shifts gives you back say 2% of your total attention capacity and steering control, avaraged over time, it's b.s. to argue that means people will divert that 2% plus 10% more to other non driving-related stuff.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Dadhawk (04-16-2021), Tcoat (04-16-2021)