follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting

Tracking / Autocross / HPDE / Drifting What these cars were built for!

User Tag List

Old 11-08-2020, 11:57 PM   #29
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,511 Times in 18,916 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZionsWrath View Post
Is there any data on effects on running oil below operating temp for prolonged periods?
With JR oil cooler I could not reach operating temp on the street without hooning, it would stay around 170 even blocked off with a cardboard.
But it performed flawlessly on the track.
Completely blocked? At what ambient temp? I wouldn't go with any less than the JR unit. It's about perfect for a thermostatically controlled system.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:08 AM   #30
jflogerzi

Drives: 2013 Series 10 6MT FR-S
Thanked 2,012 Times in 1,456 Posts
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Is there any data on effects on running oil below operating temp for prolonged periods?
With JR oil cooler I could not reach operating temp on the street without hooning, it would stay around 170 even blocked off with a cardboard.
remember these temps are post cooler. Pre temps will be 10-20F more at least. So you are probably just fine at that range.
2013 Series 10 FRS #553
RCE T2's, SPC LCAs -4/2.6 camber
JDL 4-2-1 EL, FP and OP, Tuned by Zach@CSG on e85
RR Wilwood Front/Rear Sport BBK, Motul 600 Fluid
ARC-8 17x9 SX2 GTs 245s/Koing 17x8 v730's 225's
jflogerzi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jflogerzi For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (11-09-2020), ZionsWrath (11-09-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 10:25 AM   #31
ZDan

Drives: '23 BRZ
Thanked 3,890 Times in 2,032 Posts
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfool View Post
Interesting article.
But, the question I have is, what is the minimum oil temp before driving it hard up to redline (full synthetic)?
I was hoping for a bit more info with that title.
@EndlessAzure reccomended 160F seems prudent. However if running 20 or 30 weight I wouldn't be averse to going to redline once coolant is up to temp, even if oil is a bit below that...

Quote:
The writer said he wouldn't want to routinely see less than 200F, but I've always heard/read that even at 180F moisture will evaporate out of the oil. My oil temp stabilizes at indicated 190F under light street usage, I would bet that is warm enough temp to drive moisture out with some margin.

170F seems a bit on the low side... If worried you could send oil out for analysis.

FWIW I drove surface streets across town mid-morning, very light traffic, taking it very easy, shifting ~3500-4000, probably never exceeded 40mph. 58F ambient temp, oil got up to normal operating 190F indicated in 12 minutes.
ZDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #32
racingfool

Drives: Miata
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZDan View Post
wouldn't be averse to going to redline once coolant is up to temp, even if oil is a bit below that...
Quote:
the general consensus among most racers is that hot oil and cool water make more power in most engines.
This is interesting. Wonder what is considered cool, under 150f? under 200f?
racingfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 12:03 PM   #33
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by racingfool View Post
This is interesting. Wonder what is considered cool, under 150f? under 200f?
Aftermarket 160F thermostats have been the thing for GM V8s for a long time now, vs. 190F factory thermostats.
Old 11-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #34
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
@EndlessAzure reccomended 160F seems prudent. However if running 20 or 30 weight I wouldn't be averse to going to redline once coolant is up to temp, even if oil is a bit below that...

The writer said he wouldn't want to routinely see less than 200F, but I've always heard/read that even at 180F moisture will evaporate out of the oil. My oil temp stabilizes at indicated 190F under light street usage, I would bet that is warm enough temp to drive moisture out with some margin.

170F seems a bit on the low side... If worried you could send oil out for analysis.

FWIW I drove surface streets across town mid-morning, very light traffic, taking it very easy, shifting ~3500-4000, probably never exceeded 40mph. 58F ambient temp, oil got up to normal operating 190F indicated in 12 minutes.
The oil temp lags coolant by quite a bit. Would exercise caution
@racingfool
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 02:13 PM   #35
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,174 Times in 6,833 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
Quote:
remember your reading is post-cooler, not pre-cooler.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
omegared19 (03-05-2021), ZionsWrath (11-10-2020)
Old 11-09-2020, 05:13 PM   #36
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post

And those readings would line right up with a thermostatic valve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
ZionsWrath (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 06:53 AM   #37
ZDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessAzure View Post
The oil temp lags coolant by quite a bit. Would exercise caution
Personally, I wouldn't worry at all about revving to redline once coolant is fully warmed up. Guaranteed the oil isn't *cold* at that point, and 0W or 5W should be flowing well enough.

S2000 (no oil temp or pressure gauges) only allowed full rpm range once coolant got up to normal, I probably zinged it to 9000 several times only just after that point. Engine still was goin strong at 240k miles and probably 50 track days when I sold it for BRZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflogerzi View Post
remember these temps are post cooler. Pre temps will be 10-20F more at least. So you are probably just fine at that range.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
The concern is oil going into the engine being "too cool", right? That would be oil temp after the cooler.
[edit]Oh yeah, the real concern (I think) is oil never getting hot enough to boil off moisture, in which case yeah, if the hot side of the cooler is getting up to 180-190ish, that's probably OK...

Quote:
Originally Posted by M0nk3y View Post
And those readings would line right up with a thermostatic valve
I've heard that temps are a lot slower to get to normal operating range even with a valve due to additional plumbing and perhaps some flow past valve?

But again, with 0W or 5W oil, I wouldn't worry about going to redline once coolant is up to temp.

Still, the more I research and learn about the whole oil cooler thing, the more I think *most* of us who track our street/daily cars semi-casually for shortish stints might actually be better off without one...

Last edited by ZDan; 11-10-2020 at 10:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ZDan For This Useful Post:
Petah78 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 10:43 AM   #38
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Love this subject, and it never ends haha. Definitely some good key points coming from a couple people here. I think one more somewhat important thing I'd like to add is recalling oil viscosity and its change in relation to temperature variances (though I'm sure you are all quite understanding of it). At cooler temps, you see exponential viscosity changes, hence why oil pressure change is significant between startup and operating oil temps. Once you are moving past these operating temps, oil viscosity changes less and less (significantly). We are talking less than 1 cSt for every 5-10F. So changes in oil pressure are small between say 220F and 275F as a random example.

The above statement is, of course, generalized as it has been proven that with our cars, oil pressure can vary from 70 down to 40 psi from 185 up to 225F respectively. Realistically, from every bit of research people have posted about this car, there is still not enough information. But our cars do hold up quite well with lightweight oils even when they take a beating.

I think the most important thing still holds that a couple people mentioned here, which is having proper oil pressure at whatever temperature you are at. I believe a solid part of the reason that we are able to get away with having poor pressures at times has a lot to do with the quality of synthetic oils today, which is where ZDan and many others have been an example to not having issues. His reason for passing on an oil cooler is the same as mine, as I did not want to add other risks, and data flowing around on this forum has proven that an oil cooler isn't necessary (depending on driving/tracking style/amount).

Though I cringe to think that consistent 272F can be normal and safe for our cars, I can see how it could hold up with good oil and shorter change intervals. Interested to see if you ever encounter problems down the road, and at what point of the cars life they would occur. I am following a similar route of staying away from a cooler and plan to drive the car to its death, so maybe I can have some useful information on my reliability many years down the road when no one will care anyway.
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
Petah78 (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 10:48 AM   #39
M0nk3y

Drives: 2016 Scion FRS / Chevy Colorado
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
FWIW, I have had 2 oil changes with no oil cooler.

I've had 2 oil changes w/forester coolant cooler

I've had 2 oil changes w/Perrin cooler.

Car went from DD, to AutoX DD, to Track DD. I just got my best oil sample back to date with a couple track weekends on it on a Perrin Cooler.
Kyle H. - #89 STX
M0nk3y is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to M0nk3y For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 11:03 AM   #40
EndlessAzure
Wheels for Brains

Drives: '14 FR-S [37J] | Daily/Track
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Personally, I wouldn't worry at all about revving to redline once coolant is fully warmed up. Guaranteed the oil isn't *cold* at that point, and 0W or 5W should be flowing well enough.

S2000 (no oil temp or pressure gauges) only allowed full rpm range once coolant got up to normal, I probably zinged it to 9000 several times only just after that point. Engine still was goin strong at 240k miles and probably 50 track days when I sold it for BRZ.

The concern is oil going into the engine being "too cool", right? That would be oil temp after the cooler.
[edit]Oh yeah, the real concern (I think) is oil never getting hot enough to boil off moisture, in which case yeah, if the hot side of the cooler is getting up to 180-190ish, that's probably OK...

I've heard that temps are a lot slower to get to normal operating range even with a valve due to additional plumbing and perhaps some flow past valve?

But again, with 0W or 5W oil, I wouldn't worry about going to redline once coolant is up to temp.

Still, the more I research and learn about the whole oil cooler thing, the more I think *most* of us who track our street/daily cars semi-casually for shortish stints might actually be better off without one...
S2k come with built in water-to-oil cooler/HEX
EndlessAzure is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EndlessAzure For This Useful Post:
CSG Mike (11-10-2020), ZDan (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 11:45 AM   #41
TommyW

Drives: '13 Whiteout
Thanked 1,242 Times in 673 Posts
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quote:

Car went from DD, to AutoX DD, to Track DD. I just got my best oil sample back to date with a couple track weekends on it on a Perrin Cooler.
The Perrin's are good. I've had 2 on my car. The first one had to be replaced due to metal shaving in the motor after the dealer destroyed the motor during recall surgery.
TommyW is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TommyW For This Useful Post:
Dzmitry (11-10-2020)
Old 11-10-2020, 01:17 PM   #42
Dzmitry

Drives: 2018 Subaru BRZ Limited with PP
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:

So a good question then, is how much better is this "best" oil sample? Are we talking any big numbers here that could result in an engine lasting 50k vs 100k miles or are they insignificant?
Dzmitry is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dzmitry For This Useful Post:
CrowsFeast (11-12-2020), ZDan (11-10-2020)