follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics

BRZ First-Gen (2012+) -- General Topics All discussions about the first-gen Subaru BRZ coupe

User Tag List

Old 01-12-2018, 07:35 PM   #15
NCtoBRZ

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ PP WRB
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by S0crates View Post
I wasn't expecting any changes, hence my recent purchase of a MY 2017 BRZ. :-)

My comment was intended to warn folks that there was no new information in the video. I would have worded it better, but it was late.
There are changes, but nothing that would make it worth passing up the great deal that I got on my 2017. The primary change is the addition of an Android Auto/Apple CarPlay head unit and the availability of the Ts and anniversary editions.
NCtoBRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:10 PM   #16
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
While I hope the twins will be around for many years to come, I like that they aren’t very well known cars and that I rarely see another one on the road. I have yet to see another BRZ on the road locally and I’ve seen maybe two FRS and one 86. On the other hand I see dozens of Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers and Chargers every day.
Forshadowing to one generation cars:

Genesis coupe
Focus RS (US-market)
RSX (US name in US market)
S2000
Neon SRT-4
RX-8
Starion
lots of exotics

(if you want to get technical)

Chrystler Laser
Scion FR-S

Also Toyota released a concept for the next gen 86 but Subaru has not released a next gen BRZ concept at the Tokyo Auto Salon this weekend. Not looking good for us BRZ owners :-( lol
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2018, 04:37 PM   #17
NCtoBRZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TachyonBomb View Post

Genesis coupe
Focus RS (US-market)
S2000
Neon SRT-4
RX-8
Starion
lots of exotics

Chrystler Laser
Scion FR-S

Also Toyota released a concept for the next gen 86 but Subaru has not released a next gen BRZ concept at the Tokyo Auto Salon this weekend. Not looking good for us BRZ owners :-( lol
Well, the s2000 and genesis coupe both had 2 generations... but yeah, some of the greatest cars don’t survive for long in a climate where boring SUVs, trucks and sedans are what most buyers want. If another generation of BRZ doesn’t happen and I don’t find another car that strikes my interest then I may just hold onto my BRZ for longer than the 1-2 years that I keep a car on average, that wouldn’t be such a bad thing
Old 01-16-2018, 08:57 PM   #18
Benji

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
2018 BRZ is now on the Subaru site.
Benji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:10 PM   #19
HKz
Reformed

Drives: '23 GRC, '11 Prius, '04 RAV4
Thanked 1,133 Times in 588 Posts
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quote:

Genesis coupe
Focus RS (US-market)
S2000
Neon SRT-4
RX-8
Starion
lots of exotics

Chrystler Laser
Scion FR-S

Toyota rarely abandons a model after only one generation. It would be silly to bet they would get rid of the 86 after all the hype about having potentially 3 sports models in the lineup and especially considering it would be such a waste to have to start all over with another model that no one knows about since Toyota only has a few names they could really piggyback off of.

It took Honda more than 10 years to reach 100,000 sales with the S2K whereas it only took 3 years to reach that figure with the 86/BRZ. It ain't no Mustang but they've done well enough. Think it will follow a similar time frame as the Zs, 8+ years per generation. If anything I think it was a great sign that Toyota & Subaru even bothered to make mechanical updates to the 86 when they didn't really need to especially given the fact that Toyota is concurrently spending money on several other performance projects (Supra, LC-F, GR Super Sport)... Soon after Toyota & BMW finish up with the Supra they'll probably be releasing the next 86 gen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCtoBRZ View Post
Well, the s2000 and genesis coupe both had 2 generations... but yeah, some of the greatest cars don’t survive for long in a climate where boring SUVs, trucks and sedans are what most buyers want. If another generation of BRZ doesn’t happen and I don’t find another car that strikes my interest then I may just hold onto my BRZ for longer than the 1-2 years that I keep a car on average, that wouldn’t be such a bad thing
eh I guess it is arguable in some ways but in both cases they were essentially the same car, just some engine + suspension + facelift updates, more akin to the 86's changes from 16 to 17 so it is hard for me to consider them as multiple generations, more like a heavy refresh..

Last edited by HKz; 01-16-2018 at 10:33 PM.
HKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 04:12 AM   #20
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:

Genesis coupe
Focus RS (US-market)
S2000
Neon SRT-4
RX-8
Starion
lots of exotics

Chrystler Laser
Scion FR-S
Half of those are throw-away upgraded versions of dumpy FWD economy cars that don't really compare to the development process of the 86. As such, they serve no predictive value in the future of the 86 platform.

Additionally, the Gen Coupe's development is complicated by the Genesis brand spinoff and is supposed to be coming back for another round under a different name. Although a different car from its predecessor, the RX-8 is still a continuation of an existing product line. The Chrysler Laser was nothing more than an economy car pretending to be a sports car, like the first gen Fiero. And the Neon and Focus... just 4 door economy cars for young people with go-fast parts slapped on them to turn them into pretend race cars.

About the only ones that compare to the 86 in terms of development and marketing are the S2000 and the Starion. The rest have about as much to do with where the 86 platform will go as a Pontiak Aztec.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 05:57 PM   #21
TachyonBomb

Drives: 06 Evo GSR SE, 17 Series Yellow BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extrashaky View Post
Half of those are throw-away upgraded versions of dumpy FWD economy cars that don't really compare to the development process of the 86. As such, they serve no predictive value in the future of the 86 platform.

Additionally, the Gen Coupe's development is complicated by the Genesis brand spinoff and is supposed to be coming back for another round under a different name. Although a different car from its predecessor, the RX-8 is still a continuation of an existing product line. The Chrysler Laser was nothing more than an economy car pretending to be a sports car, like the first gen Fiero. And the Neon and Focus... just 4 door economy cars for young people with go-fast parts slapped on them to turn them into pretend race cars.

About the only ones that compare to the 86 in terms of development and marketing are the S2000 and the Starion. The rest have about as much to do with where the 86 platform will go as a Pontiak Aztec.
Don't see what development dollars has to do with anything. No one even mentioned it.

FYI (just so the general public knows)

The Chrystler Laser, Eagle Talon and Mitsubishi Eclipse where all the same car. If the FRS/86/BRZ are twins then they are triplets. Mitsubishi did all the development on those cars, they all used Mitsubishi 4g63 turbo engines (the same ones used in the first 3 Evo's.

also

S2000 and Genisis Coupe had one generation with facelifts/refreshes/kouki treatments. The Evo 7,8 & 9 are ONE generation with 3 facelifts/refreshes. The 2017 & 2018 BRZ is the same generation as the earlier years. Kind of funny that some people didn't know that distinction.

Lastly

I added the FRS to the list because that car is dead as a single generation car. Scion is not coming back. I did not add the 86 to the list because toyota has shown concepts of a 2nd generation 86. The BRZ was not added to my list because the jury is still out on Subarus intentions with a 2nd generation.

PS

The next gen S2000 rumors are not concrete enough for me to take it off the one generation wonder list.
TachyonBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 06:04 PM   #22
extrashaky

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited
Thanked 5,618 Times in 2,266 Posts
Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Don't see what development dollars has to do with anything. No one even mentioned it.
I didn't say "development dollars." I said "development process." The 86 platform was developed as a RWD sports car and nothing else. Half of your list doesn't compare to the 86 because they were developed first as dumpy economy cars that were then "upgraded" into performance versions. They have no predictive value at all with regard to how the 86 platform will continue.

ETA: Here's an example:

When the 86 was conceived, someone at Toyota said, "We'd like to build a lightweight, real wheel drive sports car." Then they went through the design and concept stages and finally built a lightweight, real wheel drive sports car."

When the Neon was conceived, someone at Chrysler said, "Let's build a cheap front wheel drive shitbox to sell to people who can't afford a very high monthly payment but just need basic transportation to get around, and let's design it so that it'll be out of style and falling apart about the time their loans are up so that they'll have to come back to us for another car." Then they built a shitbox, and most of them are gone now because they fell apart and went to the junk yard. But someone there also said, "Hey, that car isn't very 'exciting.' Let's make a performance version of it. Our customers will think it's a sports car, because they're too stupid to understand the difference and will buy it anyway, thinking a special edition of this shitbox will be worth something someday." So they built it. And it was still just a dumpy shitbox for poor people, just faster.

See the difference? Nothing about that design process in the second example applies to the design process of the 86. So trying to compare a Neon to a twin is silly.

Last edited by extrashaky; 01-20-2018 at 06:17 PM.
extrashaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 08:15 PM   #23
NCtoBRZ

Quote:

FYI (just so the general public knows)

The Chrystler Laser, Eagle Talon and Mitsubishi Eclipse where all the same car. If the FRS/86/BRZ are twins then they are triplets. Mitsubishi did all the development on those cars, they all used Mitsubishi 4g63 turbo engines (the same ones used in the first 3 Evo's.

also

S2000 and Genisis Coupe had one generation with facelifts/refreshes/kouki treatments. The Evo 7,8 & 9 are ONE generation with 3 facelifts/refreshes. The 2017 & 2018 BRZ is the same generation as the earlier years. Kind of funny that some people didn't know that distinction.

Lastly

I added the FRS to the list because that car is dead as a single generation car. Scion is not coming back. I did not add the 86 to the list because toyota has shown concepts of a 2nd generation 86. The BRZ was not added to my list because the jury is still out on Subarus intentions with a 2nd generation.

PS

The next gen S2000 rumors are not concrete enough for me to take it off the one generation wonder list.
These cars are referred to as having 2 generations by plenty of sources. I guess if you want to nitpick what fits your definition of generation... does it require a new chassis? If so, the NA and NB Miata are one generation? Does it require an entirely different name? If so, the Porsche 911 has had only one generation?