follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > 1st Gens: Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ > Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum

Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 GT86 General Forum The place to start for the Scion FR-S / Toyota 86 | GT86

User Tag List

Old 04-29-2015, 03:12 PM   #127
Braces

Drives: 17 Alfa Romeo 4C
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Wow ... some of you guys make it out like buying a car is staged warfare between the dealership (salesperson) and the potential buyer. The key is to be PREPARED before your visit. Have all your financing in order. Do all your research on a particular car BEFORE your visit. Research entails emailing numerous dealerships to determine what cars are available with what options, miles, etc. Once you locate a particular car that interests you ...set up an actual appt with a salesperson and mention that you are expecting to test drive the vehicle.
Braces is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Braces For This Useful Post:
Tcoat (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 03:21 PM   #128
venturaII
Only users lose drugs.

Drives: All the time
Thanked 1,067 Times in 674 Posts
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Ignorant sales staff are the norm at any dealership. The average customer is only concerned with how many cupholders it has or what kind of fuel economy a car gets, so there's no reason for the sales people to learn a thing about the actual specifications of the cars they are selling, let alone their clones under a different brand or their competition. The majority of us are car enthusiasts, and so know more about the car we're shopping for than 99% of the sales staff, and probably 75% of the service staff.
venturaII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 03:45 PM   #129
tahdizzle
So elite I'm 1338

Drives: WRB Subaru BRZ
Thanked 1,934 Times in 982 Posts
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
I think @crazywookiee just trolled all of you.

Cause I'M Peter Lau!

bwahahahaha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tahdizzle For This Useful Post:
Atticus808 (04-29-2015), strat61caster (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 04:14 PM   #130
keithr

Drives: 2014 BRZ Limited (DGM)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
Wow ... some of you guys make it out like buying a car is staged warfare between the dealership (salesperson) and the potential buyer.
Because it often is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braces View Post
The key is to be PREPARED before your visit. Have all your financing in order. Do all your research on a particular car BEFORE your visit. Research entails emailing numerous dealerships to determine what cars are available with what options, miles, etc.
If history is our guide, there's nothing they hate worse than a customer who is informed and knows exactly what they want.

I was as prepared as anyone could ever be, and they still tried to throw every dirty trick in the book at me. They were looking for any victory, be it a $5000 service plan or $4000 worth of "paint protection".

PUDDY: I just left out a couple of things...rust-proofing..

JERRY: Rust-proofing?

PUDDY: Transport charge, storage surcharge, additional overcharge, finder’s fee

JERRY: Finder’s fee? It was on the lot!

PUDDY: Yeah, that’s right. Floor mats, keys..

JERRY: Keys?!

PUDDY: How ya gonna start it?

JERRY: Alright, alright. Alright, that’s enough! Let’s get back to my deal. That undercoating, that’s just a rip-off, isn’t it, David?

PUDDY: Oh, we don’t even know what it is.

JERRY: So, I’m gettin’ the insider’s deal?

PUDDY: Insider’s deal. (Holds up his hand) High-five.
keithr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keithr For This Useful Post:
Atticus808 (04-29-2015), RobertPaulson (04-29-2015), strat61caster (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 04:54 PM   #131
CrazyWookiee

Drives: Whiteout FR-S
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
You mean i'm ugly as shit, right? damn it. I knew it. You guys just wanna see the wheels anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AznBRZer View Post
I'm surprised that no one's asked this: But do you look anything close to Peter Lau? I mean he has a pretty damn distinct look for an Asian dude.

"I'm the real Peter Lau" - Peter Lau
CrazyWookiee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CrazyWookiee For This Useful Post:
53Driver (04-30-2015), strat61caster (04-30-2015), Tcoat (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 05:17 PM   #132
AznBRZer

Drives: 16 CBS WRX Limited
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tcoat View Post
Like going to a car meet where somebody told you "just look for the young Asian guy with the white FRS, that will be me"? Get there, take one look around and think "shit I can't ask all these guys". Stoped after a few wrong guesses and weird looks. Pretty sure they thought I was just some crazy old guy that wandered in by mistake.
Either that or that you were out cruising to cure that yellow fever of yours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyWookiee View Post
You mean i'm ugly as shit, right? damn it. I knew it. You guys just wanna see the wheels anyways.
Haha...I meant you looking like a pretty big dude...especially your arms. We all look the same anyways, so I guess I have big arms too?

WE ARE ALL PETER LAU NOW
AznBRZer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AznBRZer For This Useful Post:
strat61caster (04-30-2015), Tcoat (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 06:29 PM   #133
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,513 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Je suis Peter.
Ultramaroon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ultramaroon For This Useful Post:
AznBRZer (04-29-2015), Campo (05-01-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 06:35 PM   #134
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Old 04-29-2015, 06:45 PM   #135
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
He always has the option of creating an account and presenting his story as well (whether we believe him or not is a different matter). The fact that he has not done so does not reflect well for him either.
If I was aware that there was somebody saying things about me on a forum I would be there in a flash to defend myself. Especially if I made my living selling the product being sold on the forum!
The average duration of a Toyota/Scion sales reps "career" in the US is 18 months. This thread has become Exhibit A as to why. He, and from the sounds of it the rest of the dealership staff, set the left side of the competence curve.

He'll never post here and if his manager sees this thread and has any integrity has already fired him unless he falls into some group with special protections.

I don't know if it's characteristic of the Pacific Northwest (yes, including Alaska @PhantomX), but no matter which dealership I enter they're mostly respectful, knowledgeable and helpful even though I make it clear that I'm not buying but just checking out the latest and greatest iron. The one exception over the past ten years was at my local Scion dealership from a hopelessly product knowledge deficient green salesman who couldn't stop bragging about his Mazdaspeed 3. So I took him to a nearby twisty road in their FR-S demo and gave us a thrill ride to quiet him down, heh. I wound up doing the talking about content, features and benefits on the way back while enjoying seeing his knuckles turn white and wrapped around the door handle.

He's no longer at the dealership.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
Atticus808 (04-29-2015), PhantomX (04-30-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 06:56 PM   #136
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post

I don't know if it's characteristic of the Pacific Northwest (yes, including Alaska @PhantomX), but no matter which dealership I enter they're mostly respectful, knowledgeable and helpful even though I make it clear that I'm not buying but just checking out the latest and greatest iron..
Yet more confirmation of my strong suspicion that the PNW is actually a secret part of Canada!
PhantomX (04-30-2015), soulreapersteve (04-29-2015), Ultramaroon (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:30 PM   #137
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqdork View Post
I don't know if it's characteristic of the Pacific Northwest (yes, including Alaska @PhantomX), but no matter which dealership I enter they're mostly respectful, knowledgeable and helpful even though I make it clear that I'm not buying but just checking out the latest and greatest iron.
this is because your average developer is tatted, pierced, wearing skinny jeans and a graphic T is making 6 figures and is ready to blow his wad on a car.

Now I'm a type A kind of guy and I can spot a sleezeball a mile away, I simply walk away from them or talk to the sales manager about them. The worst salesmen is the one who argues with you, makes shit up, tells you everyone in his family has bought whatever brand he's selling from him or won't stop talking about monthly payment. Sadly this is the same fucking guy and as i was about to walk out the sales manager stopped me, asked what was wrong, I was upfront told him what was going on and said his salesmen is a fucking moron that isn't fit to sell water to someone dying of thirst in the desert. I could tell this wasn't the first time the sales manager had heard this about this guy so he says lets start over and we agreed to invoice price which was about 4k under msrp (not bad on a 17k car) and I made sure the salesmen did not get credit for the sale.

My favorite and best interaction was when i was at a mazda/chevy/kia dealer. I was looking at the new camaro, was pretty tempted to get it and the salesmen was chatting me up about what I was looking for in a vehicle, why i like the camaro etc. I tried not to give to much information as I know how easily they can use that against you. At the end of our chat he looks at me and says "man, this isn't the car for you, but i've got something I think you'll like, wait here"

At first i was insulted that he would think he would know what's best for me and I was tempted to jump into my truck and leave, but something about his tone and body language told me he was being sincere and I should at least give him the benefit of the doubt. So i waited. he pull around in this gorgeous 2008 mazdaspeed 3, which ironically enough, was another car i'd always had my eye on it but i never mentioned this to him. He tossed me the keys and told me not to get any speeding tickets. I came back about 30 minutes later and we talked price for a while and we got to a point where the price was right, but I wasn't sold on the car being the right fit (kept looking at the chevy) so he let me take the car home overnight. Driving the car back to the dealer sold me on it and I ended up buying it the next day.
Atticus808 (04-29-2015), soulreapersteve (04-29-2015), strat61caster (04-30-2015), Teseo (04-29-2015), torqdork (04-29-2015), Ultramaroon (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:31 PM   #138
RobertPaulson
Hisnamewasrobertpaulson

Drives: 2017 Golf R
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Yet more confirmation of my strong suspicion that the PNW is actually a secret part of Canada!
DON'T TELL ANYONE
Tcoat (04-29-2015)
Old 04-29-2015, 07:38 PM   #139
torqdork

Drives: RV-7
Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quote:
We also share an appreciation for quality craft beer. That pretty much seals it.
torqdork is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torqdork For This Useful Post:
RobertPaulson (04-30-2015), soulreapersteve (04-29-2015), Tcoat (04-29-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 12:04 AM   #140
soulreapersteve
Contract? /人◕ ‿‿ ◕人\

Drives: An orange cone with flappy paddles
Thanked 5,170 Times in 2,703 Posts
Mentioned: 126 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertPaulson View Post
this is because your average developer is tatted, pierced, wearing skinny jeans and a graphic T is making 6 figures and is ready to blow his wad on a car.
I wish I was making 6 figures! I make no where near that but I'm happy where I am at for now :P However, I do wear the typical IT-guy clothes (hoodies and somewhat baggy pants OR t-shirt and shorts).

Anyways, thanks OP for posting this thread. I'm going to the local Toyota/Scion and Subie dealership this Saturday to test drive the Twins. Should kill half the day
soulreapersteve is offline   Reply With Quote