follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment

Electronics | Audio | NAV | Infotainment Anything related to in-car electronics, navigation, and infotainment.

User Tag List

Old 04-06-2016, 07:37 PM   #57
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
To those who aren't sure about upgrading the rear speakers, it's certainly a personal preference thing. I'm no audio engineer but I've built systems for my past 2 vehicles, and I personally hate the "fronts only" approach. I prefer immersive sound, front and rear.

if you're on the fence, I suggest turning the fade on your radio all the way front and having a listen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CruiseZen View Post
I bought the OEM+ Reference system with the free rear speaker upgrades (preorder). Just been told it will arrive in less than 3 weeks. Can't wait to install it and hear the difference.
Mine came a week ago and I've been staring at the box on my porch ever since. Install in a couple days, hopefully (apartment living sucks!)...
Old 04-07-2016, 09:51 AM   #58
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
To those who aren't sure about upgrading the rear speakers, it's certainly a personal preference thing. I'm no audio engineer but I've built systems for my past 2 vehicles, and I personally hate the "fronts only" approach. I prefer immersive sound, front and rear.)...
I have a similar opinion and that's why I was really happy when OEM Audio+ decided to add the rear speaker option.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:08 PM   #59
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Personal preference is fine, it just needs to be remembered that except for SACD and DVD-A formats, music was never intended to have sound coming from behind. Car audio is the only place people do this.

There are processing tricks that work in a car to make rear speakers still sound correct, but it requires running them with a lot of time delay, and with the left and right speakers inputs reversed.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:08 PM   #60
JGalp

Drives: 2015 CWP BRZ Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL View Post
Personal preference is fine, it just needs to be remembered that except for SACD and DVD-A formats, music was never intended to have sound coming from behind. Car audio is the only place people do this.

There are processing tricks that work in a car to make rear speakers still sound correct, but it requires running them with a lot of time delay, and with the left and right speakers inputs reversed.
would love to hear OEM audio response to this! is this accounted for in the tuning DSP?
JGalp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:20 AM   #61
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGalp View Post
would love to hear OEM audio response to this! is this accounted for in the tuning DSP?
The rears are tuned to add to the front Mids and enhance them from what they told me
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:00 PM   #62
JGalp

Hey everyone, i ordered the 4" mid range and 4" rear speakers today. i will most likely install next week and give you all my opinions of the upgrades!!
Old 04-08-2016, 06:45 PM   #63
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL

Drives: Specialized Hardrock
It sounds like they may be using some steering algorithm then, which is good. The idea behind it is to add a sense of ambience or space to the front speakers, not just to play the same thing in the back as in the front.
TOOSTUBBORN2FAIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #64
lbroskee

Drives: 2023 WRB BRZ (MT)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 5 Thread(s)
Garage
^sounds about the same as what Daniel told me a month ago wen I called
lbroskee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 07:51 PM   #65
sdemo

Drives: '13 SWP ZC6 R
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Garage
My 450Q goes in tomorrow!
Old 04-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #66
JGalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdemo View Post
My 450Q goes in tomorrow!
let us know how it sounds! I'm getting mine next week
Old 04-09-2016, 08:05 AM   #67
CruiseZen

Drives: 2014 Ultramarine 6MT FR-S Monogram
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Looks like there will be lots of reviews of the Reference system with the new rear speakers in the next few weeks. I'll add my review once the system arrives and I get it installed. Probably about 3 weeks out.
softgrip (04-09-2016)
Old 04-09-2016, 08:11 AM   #68
softgrip

Drives: 2017 BRZ - Dark Grey Metallic
Garage
I'm really interested in what difference just the rear speakers make in addition to the Reference 400CF.

I don't have mids on the dash in my Australian BRZ. I could do with some more mid punch, and the stock rears are horrible.
softgrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 08:44 AM   #69
LetzROQ

Drives: 2016 Scion FR-S Release Series 2.0
Reference 450Q installed and rocking!

Ordered my FR-S Release Series 2.0 back in October, and the 450Q with color-matched sub and free rear speaker upgrade in January. Got the car mid-March and the system late-March. The install wasn't too bad, following the docs provided and the YouTube videos. Only had a couple hitches. First, the dealer installed after-market LED running lights, and ran the wiring for the switch through the same grommet I needed for the power wire. Had a buddy help me get the wire pulled through the grommet, which was the only thing in the install I needed a 2nd set of hands for. Second hitch was the door speakers had no sound. Checked all my connections (speakers, amp, radio) but couldn't find anything wrong. Shot an email to Daniel at OEM, and he immediately called me back, talked through the issue, then sent me a quick 1-page fix on how to install a wire tap on the OEM harness, behind the radio. After dropping $2 at Radio Shack for a pack of wire taps, and another 15 minutes to pull the radio and install it, everything is working great. The sound is much fuller and richer than the stock system, but I knew that was going to be case, since I installed a Reference 400 in my 2012 tC a few years back.

I cannot say enough about OEM Audio+ and the great guys that work there: Daniel La Blanc, Dan Ramirez, and Sandy Lirag (COO and co-founder). Spoke to all of them over the couple months while my 450Q was being built, painted, and tested. The system can seem pricey, but it's well worth the money, for the superior sound, pre-configured tuning, plug-n-play install, and support. Here's what the Lunar Storm color-matched sub enclosure looks like:
Attached Images

LetzROQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LetzROQ For This Useful Post:
CruiseZen (04-09-2016), SC10N (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 07:38 AM   #70
SC10N
#293 / 2500

Drives: FR-S MT 10 Series
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Does adding the 4" mid range and 4" rear speakers require sending the amp back to OEM to be reconfigured? (I already have the OEM Audio + Reference System 400CF installed)

Also, on my factory head unit what does the DSP setting do? It has low - med - high choices. I have had it in the off position but I have read differing opinions.

Are you all using the recomended settings - Natural? Sometimes I think that the FEEL selection sounds better? Would like to hear what some of your settings are that you feel sound best.

Thanks!
Rear spoiler - PI fog lights - TRD exhaust - Zeta Center Console Armrest - BeSpoke / Nav upgrade - OEM Audio + Reference System 400CF - Beat Sonic shark fin antenna - Lathe Werks burnt gun metal stainless steel sphere shifter - OEM HID LED Mod Kit - Interior Illumination Kit- Red - Trunk lid Liner Kit
SC10N is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
amp, audio, music, radio, subwoofer