follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Software Tuning

Software Tuning Discuss all software tuning topics.

User Tag List

Old 02-12-2018, 05:32 PM   #1
Bkdshadow

Drives: 2013 Scion FRS
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Another OFT review

Hey guys, I know there are numerous threads on the Open Flash Tablet, but just thought I’d add on to it with my own review

The setup

So flashing the car from stock to what I’m at now (stage 1) was very simple for me. I literally took it out of the packaging, plugged it into the OBDII port, and everything was fine. I will say that I had to plug it in and out again about 2 times just because nothing loaded up initially, but it ended up working out, no big deal. Once the device was up and running, it was very simple to get to stage 1. Just pick your vehicle, let it read your ECU, then finally flash to the tune. The flashing process consisted of following the tablets directions of turning the car on (accessories, not engine), turning it off, confirming, etc.

TL;DR: VERRRRY simple and easy to install/flash from my experience.

The car

So after flashing, I was told to let the car idle for a little bit by the tablet. Before doing that I read on the forums about dead travel in the accelerator and saw that pressing the pedal several times with the accessories on would help. I pressed it in 20 times, turned the car on, let it idle(the idle is a lot smoother),then tested out the travel of it. I could notice the dead travel people were talking about still, and it was still apparent all of today while driving (this apparently goes away though).

Before setting off to test the power, I just had to make sure that it was there.... LAUNCH CONTROL! definitely want to lower it to 3500-4000 RPM, but awesome to know that my car has it now, very cool so after gushing about that I finally got on the road. Like mentioned before, the dead travel was prominent. I felt like I was gonna stall out the first time, but I got used to it fairly quickly. I honestly didn’t notice too much of a difference my first 15ish minutes of driving. On my second ride however (I went to the store for my first ride) I could definitely start to notice. I DD my car so I am constantly in that 2500-4500 RPM area. There is definitely more pick up there and it feels awesome. As a lot of other reviews on here state, this car feels how it should from the factory, I really feel like that’s the best description for what this tune does for the car. Shifting is also smoother, I’m not sure if this is a placebo effect or not, but I do think this is a benefit from the tune. I also feel a lot more confident on the high way as well with the passing power. The torque is definitely the most apparent thing with this car. I do feel the power up top as well, it pulls a good bit better IMO.

Final thoughts

I do think this is worth the money, and I think the benefits are very apparent on the first day. It allows you to monitor and datalog all of those ECU things if you want, it opens up the possibility of running a header (well, running it without a CEL), the engine idles more calmly, and the drivability is Improved a lot in my opinion. Stage 1 will not make your car fast, so I wouldn’t get this if you just want the HP gains. As others have stated, you will not get a punch in the stomach feeling by staying NA with this car. Speed and a car getting faster is relative of course, but I still wouldn’t consider the car fast. The car is definitely fastER and peppier, with the torque being the biggest benefit I think.

Very happy with the purchase and highly recommend

Side note: the knock correction was on 0 the whole time I was driving, but at one point the tablet started blinking even though it was on 0... not sure if this is normal?
Bkdshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Hadalet

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkdshadow View Post
Hey guys, I know there are numerous threads on the Open Flash Tablet, but just thought I’d add on to it with my own review

The setup

So flashing the car from stock to what I’m at now (stage 1) was very simple for me. I literally took it out of the packaging, plugged it into the OBDII port, and everything was fine. I will say that I had to plug it in and out again about 2 times just because nothing loaded up initially, but it ended up working out, no big deal. Once the device was up and running, it was very simple to get to stage 1. Just pick your vehicle, let it read your ECU, then finally flash to the tune. The flashing process consisted of following the tablets directions of turning the car on (accessories, not engine), turning it off, confirming, etc.

TL;DR: VERRRRY simple and easy to install/flash from my experience.

The car

So after flashing, I was told to let the car idle for a little bit by the tablet. Before doing that I read on the forums about dead travel in the accelerator and saw that pressing the pedal several times with the accessories on would help. I pressed it in 20 times, turned the car on, let it idle(the idle is a lot smoother),then tested out the travel of it. I could notice the dead travel people were talking about still, and it was still apparent all of today while driving (this apparently goes away though).

Before setting off to test the power, I just had to make sure that it was there.... LAUNCH CONTROL! definitely want to lower it to 3500-4000 RPM, but awesome to know that my car has it now, very cool so after gushing about that I finally got on the road. Like mentioned before, the dead travel was prominent. I felt like I was gonna stall out the first time, but I got used to it fairly quickly. I honestly didn’t notice too much of a difference my first 15ish minutes of driving. On my second ride however (I went to the store for my first ride) I could definitely start to notice. I DD my car so I am constantly in that 2500-4500 RPM area. There is definitely more pick up there and it feels awesome. As a lot of other reviews on here state, this car feels how it should from the factory, I really feel like that’s the best description for what this tune does for the car. Shifting is also smoother, I’m not sure if this is a placebo effect or not, but I do think this is a benefit from the tune. I also feel a lot more confident on the high way as well with the passing power. The torque is definitely the most apparent thing with this car. I do feel the power up top as well, it pulls a good bit better IMO.

Final thoughts

I do think this is worth the money, and I think the benefits are very apparent on the first day. It allows you to monitor and datalog all of those ECU things if you want, it opens up the possibility of running a header (well, running it without a CEL), the engine idles more calmly, and the drivability is Improved a lot in my opinion. Stage 1 will not make your car fast, so I wouldn’t get this if you just want the HP gains. As others have stated, you will not get a punch in the stomach feeling by staying NA with this car. Speed and a car getting faster is relative of course, but I still wouldn’t consider the car fast. The car is definitely fastER and peppier, with the torque being the biggest benefit I think.

Very happy with the purchase and highly recommend

Side note: the knock correction was on 0 the whole time I was driving, but at one point the tablet started blinking even though it was on 0... not sure if this is normal?
Nice. Now go get UEL headers, e-85, and rethink NA not being fast

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Hadalet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #3
Bkdshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadalet View Post
Nice. Now go get UEL headers, e-85, and rethink NA not being fast

Haha I’m definitely downplaying the speed of the car. Don’t get me wrong it’s very quick I think I had a 2012 is350 and thought that thing was fast

Definitely going to invest in the headers though, then get the 4.56 gear setup! This car rocks
Old 02-12-2018, 07:41 PM   #4
Hadalet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkdshadow View Post
Haha I’m definitely downplaying the speed of the car. Don’t get me wrong it’s very quick I think I had a 2012 is350 and thought that thing was fast

Definitely going to invest in the headers though, then get the 4.56 gear setup! This car rocks
The diff is high on my list too!
Btw Is350 is a lot faster than our cars. It doesn't feel like it because it's so heavy, and it's power delivery very smooth

Old 02-12-2018, 08:41 PM   #5
Bkdshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadalet View Post
The diff is high on my list too!
Btw Is350 is a lot faster than our cars. It doesn't feel like it because it's so heavy, and it's power delivery very smooth

Haha I know that’s the reason I speaking relatively with my post . They’re such sleepers, and their 1st and 2nd gears are brutal! People run them in the 1/4 mile in 13.6-13.7 consistently STOCK
Old 02-12-2018, 08:43 PM   #6
Hadalet

Old 02-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #7
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
I've found that part throttle operation improves substantially over the first 50 miles or so after reflash.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 09:49 PM   #8
Bkdshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
I've found that part throttle operation improves substantially over the first 50 miles or so after reflash.
Yeah that’s what I’m hoping for. I personally don’t mind it right now and it has gotten better. But as of right now stock was definitely better, and I could see why someone would be concerned
Old 02-13-2018, 09:36 AM   #9
tennisfreak

Drives: 2018 BMW M240i
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Garage
Even with headers OFT is only getting you like 5hp and lessening of the torque dip.

For over $1k not really worth it IMO.
tennisfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #10
Bkdshadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Even with headers OFT is only getting you like 5hp and lessening of the torque dip.

A lot of what I read said the OFT helped bring out the potential of the headers,but yeah it’s only about 20ish whp at the end of the day for over 1k. I’ll take what I can get on this car I suppose. If I’m being honest though I really just want that Subi rumble just don’t want the CEL lol
Old 02-13-2018, 11:17 AM   #11
Lantanafrs2

Drives: 2013 frs red
Thanked 3,088 Times in 1,654 Posts
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
5 horsepower my ass.
Lantanafrs2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #12
Impureclient
Banned

Drives: 2015 FR-S
Thanked 2,903 Times in 1,282 Posts
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lantanafrs2 View Post
5 horsepower my ass.
I like that you're thinking outside the box here but if you put it on your ass, it won't help the car.
Impureclient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:00 PM   #13
Submarinesonce

Drives: Frs
170ish whp to 190-200 whp depending on fuel is only 5whp gain now?
JDL UEL Turbo GT2860RS, AP Racing BBK, Verus Splitter/diffuser/canards, Sard rep carbon wing, TFF bash bar, HKS hi power, Tein Flex A, Hotchkiss FSB, Radium MCB, Konig Hypergram 17x8, FS Indy 500, 6k HID, Whiteline trans bushing insert, Verus AOS, grimmspeed strut brace, Racerx oil cooler w/ setrab 619, ES steering rack bushings, Whiteline subframe bushings, Toms tails, STi mirror caps, IRP shifter, TRD Steering wheel
Submarinesonce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 01:42 PM   #14
Hadalet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post

I have full exhaust, oft, e-85 and I'm making 201 to the wheels...