follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing)

Mechanical Maintenance (Oil, Fluids, Break-In, Servicing) Everything related to the mechanical maintenance of the FR-S and BRZ

User Tag List

Old 04-11-2022, 07:57 PM   #1
ThatYeti

Drives: BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Metallic squeal/scrape sound after doing wheel studs

So I worked over the winter to replace the wheel studs as the PO had someone go ham on them with an impact gun. Taking them out was simple enough after I recognized the leverage necessary to get the caliper brackets off the front. Did the fronts, test drove and all was well. Finished up the rears a couple weeks ago and now all of a sudden I have a horrible metallic squeal/scraping sound coming from the rear.

Finally had time to take it apart tonight and seemed like the pads were sitting on the rotors so I flexed them a bit to the point where they were spread a bit, buttoned it all up and before I even left the garage, same awful noise. Ideas of what I fucked up?

Car is a '17 PP car that wasn't driven all winter, only has 21k on it and likely the original pads and rotors though both have plenty of meat left. Also car wasn't making this or any other nosie prior to me taking on this little project. Thanks in advance.
ThatYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 08:04 PM   #2
ThatYeti

Quick check now and I can see both rear pads sitting on the rotors, car is off, etc. Other observation I made was I couldn't recall seeing this bracket on the driver's rear before and seemed odd it wasn't connected to anything on one end, but seems it's just there to keep the brake line away from the wheel maybe?

Also what do I need to do to get the pads to sit back off the rotors again?
Attached Images

Old 04-11-2022, 10:00 PM   #3
ThatYeti

Realize this is probably basic shit for someone who knows what they're doing....I'm just not that person (yet anyway). Appreciate any help getting this fixed so I don't have to take it to a shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatYeti For This Useful Post:
Ultramaroon (04-12-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:15 PM   #4
murdoc
Sometimes I'm wrong.

Drives: '13 FR-S/'96 240SX
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Have you pulled the brake rotor in the rear to check the parking brake?

Is the rear dust shield rubbing against the rotor after being pried on possibly?

Possibly a piece of metal or some crud got stuck in the parking brake drum?
murdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to murdoc For This Useful Post:
ThatYeti (04-12-2022), whataboutbob (04-11-2022)
Old 04-11-2022, 10:20 PM   #5
whataboutbob
AutoX-10/10ths every run

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S AT Firestorm
Thanked 1,838 Times in 1,000 Posts
Mentioned: 79 Post(s)
Garage
"Finished up the rears a couple weeks ago and now all of a sudden I have a horrible metallic squeal/scraping sound coming from the rear."

Does this mean that initially you drove the car after doing the rears and had no sounds, but now there are sounds?

[ Delicioustuning | Counterspacegarage | RS-R USA | Cusco USA | SPL Parts | ACE Header | Stark Performance | Infinite Motion | Ciro Racing | Build thread:Here ]
[ GR Corolla Core in White w/LSDs on wish list ]
whataboutbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 10:36 PM   #6
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by whataboutbob View Post
"Finished up the rears a couple weeks ago and now all of a sudden I have a horrible metallic squeal/scraping sound coming from the rear."

Does this mean that initially you drove the car after doing the rears and had no sounds, but now there are sounds?
Sorry to clarify I drove it after the fronts were done and all was OK. Drove it after doing the rears and started hearing the noise.
The Following User Says Thank You to ThatYeti For This Useful Post:
whataboutbob (04-12-2022)
Old 04-12-2022, 08:11 AM   #7
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdoc View Post
Have you pulled the brake rotor in the rear to check the parking brake?

Is the rear dust shield rubbing against the rotor after being pried on possibly?

Possibly a piece of metal or some crud got stuck in the parking brake drum?
I'd taken the rotors off to get the studs out but don't recall prying on the dust shields at all and the only spot where I saw any kind of rubbing was on the edge of that bracket I posted, on the side facing towards in middle of the car, so while I still don't really understand what it's for I don't think it's the issue.
Old 04-12-2022, 11:56 AM   #8
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
That bracket just keeps the brake cable safe. I think you accidentally bent one of the dust shields. It's easy to do without even realizing it. Get underneath it and spin each of the rear wheels by hand. I bet you'll immediately find the source.

Also, the pads are supposed to touch the rotor. To prove it to yourself, separate a pair like you did but this time, notice that your brake pedal sinks to the floor the first time you press it.
Old 04-12-2022, 02:40 PM   #9
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultramaroon View Post
That bracket just keeps the brake cable safe. I think you accidentally bent one of the dust shields. It's easy to do without even realizing it. Get underneath it and spin each of the rear wheels by hand. I bet you'll immediately find the source.

Also, the pads are supposed to touch the rotor. To prove it to yourself, separate a pair like you did but this time, notice that your brake pedal sinks to the floor the first time you press it.
Thanks and I did get the rear up in the air and spun the back wheels, didn't hear the same metallic noise just the pads sitting on the rotors as they went around. Is the top of that bracket supposed to connect to something?
Old 04-12-2022, 06:57 PM   #10
Grady

Drives: BRZ Yellow, 2019 Ranger, 2011 Evora
Thanked 1,475 Times in 771 Posts
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Take everything in the rears back apart and inspect. Inspect parking brake good. Also adjust parking brake when you put the rotors back on.
Grady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2022, 08:11 PM   #11
ThatYeti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grady View Post
Take everything in the rears back apart and inspect. Inspect parking brake good. Also adjust parking brake when you put the rotors back on.
Never touched anything with the parking brake and didn't touch the fluid system either so didn't think I needed to do anything with that. Can you explain what I need to do when you say 'adjust the parking brake'?
Old 04-12-2022, 08:42 PM   #12
Ultramaroon
義理チョコ

Drives: a 13 e8h frs
Thanked 36,512 Times in 18,917 Posts
Mentioned: 1106 Post(s)
Tagged: 9 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatYeti View Post
Never touched anything with the parking brake and didn't touch the fluid system either so didn't think I needed to do anything with that. Can you explain what I need to do when you say 'adjust the parking brake'?
If you had no trouble removing the rotors, the parking brake shoes were probably set super loose from the factory. It was a thing. Don't know if they got any better at it over the years.

Look in my sig line for the manuals. Drill down for parking brake system adjustment. Also to Grady's point. Maybe a spring came loose or something didn't go together properly. Hell, I had made plenty of dumb mistakes before learning how to study all the moving parts before disassembling them.

Look here for the parking brake cable support bracket. It should be tightly clamped to the trailing arm ...ok " no. 1 suspension arm assembly"