follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > FT86CLUB Shared Forum > FR-S / BRZ vs....

FR-S / BRZ vs.... Area to discuss the FR-S/BRZ against its competitors [NO STREET RACING]

User Tag List

Old 05-24-2017, 12:16 PM   #29
DGM-BRZ

Drives: 2017 CWP STi
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
I'm in the market for the 15' STI or 15' WRX. Honestly cannot decide between the two.

New engine vs old engine and performance parts.

Although the WRX seems like the better pick, it just doesn't sit well with me knowing theres a higher trim available.
DGM-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 12:40 PM   #30
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM-BRZ View Post
Although the WRX seems like the better pick, it just doesn't sit well with me knowing theres a higher trim available.
Based on this sentence get the STI otherwise you'll regret and think 'what if' maybe even lose a bunch of money trading into the STI. The WRX isn't going anywhere if you get tired of the STI and want the 'downgrade'. It will always be less painful to trade down than up imo.

Most people regret the things they didn't do more than the things they did. And most people are more insecure than they're willing to admit, do you envision yourself having the conversation "why didn't you get the sti" and feeling sheepish? If you have the means, make yourself happy.

I can't tell you how many times I got asked "why didn't you get the Subaru? Man I couldn't imagine spending money on a SCION, lol"

Jokes on them, I didn't want HID's, leather, navigation, and a $5k "market adjustment" on top of the higher price tag from the shitty dealerships around here. Some people probably hang their head in shame under the delusion that one model is 'better' than another. But I'm totally happy with what I bought and would buy it again in a heartbeat, some people would kick themselves for decades not getting the 'top of the line model' others don't, it's not a superiority thing, just get what makes you happy.

And even with the STI, I bet you'll get questions about why you didn't get whatever is cooler in 6 months like the Focus ST or Civic Type-R or a used Cayman or M3 or whatever. Live your life.

strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to strat61caster For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (06-10-2017)
Old 05-24-2017, 12:47 PM   #31
DGM-BRZ

Drives: 2017 CWP STi
Quote:
Originally Posted by strat61caster View Post
Based on this sentence get the STI otherwise you'll regret and think 'what if' maybe even lose a bunch of money trading into the STI. The WRX isn't going anywhere if you get tired of the STI and want the 'downgrade'. It will always be less painful to trade down than up imo.

Most people regret the things they didn't do more than the things they did. And most people are more insecure than they're willing to admit, do you envision yourself having the conversation "why didn't you get the sti" and feeling sheepish? If you have the means, make yourself happy.

I can't tell you how many times I got asked "why didn't you get the Subaru? Man I couldn't imagine spending money on a SCION, lol"

Jokes on them, I didn't want HID's, leather, navigation, and a $5k "market adjustment" on top of the higher price tag from the shitty dealerships around here. Some people probably hang their head in shame under the delusion that one model is 'better' than another. But I'm totally happy with what I bought and would buy it again in a heartbeat, some people would kick themselves for decades not getting the 'top of the line model' others don't, it's not a superiority thing, just get what makes you happy.

And even with the STI, I bet you'll get questions about why you didn't get whatever is cooler in 6 months like the Focus ST or Civic Type-R or a used Cayman or M3 or whatever. Live your life.

I would of been STi all the way if it weren't for the expected 2020 STi update with a new engine. As of right now, the 2015 WRX value is the same as a 2015 STi, which is pretty scary.

I guess I'll have to drive both and compare at this point.
DGM-BRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #32
strat61caster
-

Drives: '13 FRS - STX
Thanked 9,476 Times in 4,997 Posts
Mentioned: 94 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGM-BRZ View Post
I would of been STi all the way if it weren't for the expected 2020 STi update with a new engine. As of right now, the 2015 WRX value is the same as a 2015 STi, which is pretty scary.

I guess I'll have to drive both and compare at this point.
lol there's probably dozens of people who have waited 5+ years for a BRZ STI, how'd that pan out for them? 3 years is a long way away imo, no matter which car you buy you'll probably be out almost $10k if you buy new.

You're also thinking that cars get better and more desirable with every iteration, that's rarely true for enthusiast cars imo, how many people have blown off the new WRX because it looks like a Camry? There's a contingent that laments every iteration that gets heavier and if the FA20 could replace the EJ easily it would have done so already, from what I can tell Subaru is having some issues with the FA20DIT, EJ might be a bit safer at this point just because it's a known quantity.

The test drive is what matters though, good luck.
strat61caster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:27 PM   #33
Andrew025

Drives: Neptune GR86
Thanked 3,505 Times in 1,806 Posts
Mentioned: 60 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gforce View Post
The BRZ is also underpowered and only a couple of hundred pounds lighter than an Impreza. Over a long enough drive over poor roads the Impreza will be faster than the stock BRZ.
What kind of roads are we talking about here?
Old 05-28-2017, 11:05 PM   #34
mroberge7@gmail.com

Drives: 2017 Subaru BRZ INAZUMA EDITION
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Well I just traded my 2015 sti on a 2017 limited edition yellow brz. The reason was I expirenced first hand the dreaded rod bearing failure at 30000 km no warning. I was modded to stage 2 with a custom e tune. The car was amazing for the 3 years I owned it just raw power that's easy to control. It just begged to be opened up and that's the problem, it not easy to open up legally. Now I did not let it stop me but I daily drove it too. Since it was going to be a good while until I got the engine replaced by Subaru they made a very fair trade in offer on the yellow limited edition Brz. So far not one regret. I am still breaking it in so 4K rpm but it's so much fun to rip around in all gears and still not be risking impounding. It won't win drag races at the stop light but it handles just as good. The major down fall I have to park it in the winter. The sti was fun in the snow. So that's my 2 cents
mroberge7@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to mroberge7@gmail.com For This Useful Post:
JSube (07-04-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:39 AM   #35
imnotsureaboutbrz

Drives: between cars...
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mroberge7@gmail.com View Post
Well I just traded my 2015 sti on a 2017 limited edition yellow brz. The reason was I expirenced first hand the dreaded rod bearing failure at 30000 km no warning. I was modded to stage 2 with a custom e tune. The car was amazing for the 3 years I owned it just raw power that's easy to control. It just begged to be opened up and that's the problem, it not easy to open up legally. Now I did not let it stop me but I daily drove it too. Since it was going to be a good while until I got the engine replaced by Subaru they made a very fair trade in offer on the yellow limited edition Brz. So far not one regret. I am still breaking it in so 4K rpm but it's so much fun to rip around in all gears and still not be risking impounding. It won't win drag races at the stop light but it handles just as good. The major down fall I have to park it in the winter. The sti was fun in the snow. So that's my 2 cents
I appreciate your input, makes me happier about my purchase lol... I'm not sure how much snow you deal with in the winter but there are a lot of us (including myself) who daily the BRZ in the winter. Last season I ran 215/50/17 (the 50 bias gives an extra inch of ground clearance) blizzaks and managed fine.
imnotsureaboutbrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 05:37 PM   #36
Johnders2586

Drives: 2013 BRZ
Garage
I came to the BRZ after owning both an 03 WRX (basic stage 2 mods) and a 15 STI (Pro tuned stage 2 +) along with a few other cars in between but this is my 4th Subaru. I would say they all had there strengths. The 03 was my first turbo AWD and looking back it was plenty fast, it lacked handling even after I did some suspension mods. The power was good (for the time) I felt like I could take it anywhere and just beat the snot out of it and it could take it. It was an unsophisticated brute. I sold it after about 3 years as I just got bored and felt I wanted a truck (bad choice). The 15 STi was a very nice car, much more refined, I had the Limited model so it had all the options. The chassis and suspension where very good stock and I loved the power but as some have alluded to, on the street I couldn’t really get on it without breaking the law. It was a great driving car and fun on the back roads (I never tracked it) Due to life changes and priority changes I needed to “step down” to the BRZ which I had always been interested in. I love driving the BRZ, it’s enough power to be entertaining, its light and nimble, easy to throw around I think from a pure driving aspect it is more enjoyable and confidence inspiring then the heavier STi. Yes sometimes I miss the power and I loved the STi but I am still happy with my BRZ for a fraction of the cost. My biggest drawback is I live in the North east and Winters well this car simply isn’t made for them..
Johnders2586 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:14 PM   #37
Somerandom18

Drives: 2017 manual BRZ
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
No because the price difference isn't in my budget. A WRX however.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Somerandom18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 10:04 AM   #38
SlowCarFast

Drives: 2015 BRZ Limited
I came very close to buying a wrx instead of the brz. What stopped me was a simple fact: I wanted a sports car.

The wrx in all of its forms is still a hopped up commuter car. It was designed to get your groceries first and be fast/fun second. Does that mean they are not really fast and fun? No they are, but they do not provide the driving experience that cars like the twins provide. The vast majority of people do not care about that experience, but I do. And it lead me to a brz instead of a wrx.

I would still love to have a wrx as a DD, but would need them to make a hatchback version before I would buy one.
SlowCarFast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SlowCarFast For This Useful Post:
DriveDriftDogfight86 (06-10-2017), funwheeldrive (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 10:50 AM   #39
r_rated

Drives: Porsche 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowCarFast View Post
I came very close to buying a wrx instead of the brz. What stopped me was a simple fact: I wanted a sports car.

The wrx in all of its forms is still a hopped up commuter car. It was designed to get your groceries first and be fast/fun second. Does that mean they are not really fast and fun? No they are, but they do not provide the driving experience that cars like the twins provide. The vast majority of people do not care about that experience, but I do. And it lead me to a brz instead of a wrx.

I would still love to have a wrx as a DD, but would need them to make a hatchback version before I would buy one.
Your thoughts are right on. The twins are still one of my favorite cars. I almost bought one when something else came up but convinced 3 friends to get them as weekend toys in the past 6 months.

The market and media are funny in that they weigh speed and drag racing.... Merca'!

Here is an article that is a great example of the lesser sports car winning:

http://www.caranddriver.com/comparis...omparison-test

Car 1 - Base, manual, no options, stripper.
Car 2 - DCT, fully loaded including Ceramic Brakes.

Car 1 is a base 911 with no options... suspension or handling or anything. It still out handled, more balanced, more planted and is more precise.... even stops better with standard steel brakes. It has a manual which handicaps it for drag racing but still hangs close.

Car 2 is a loaded M3 and loses every comparison outside of drag racing and cubby holes. Would have lost the drag race if it was a manual....

If a magazine compared the BRZ to WRX, the WRX would win for the same reasons but like the 911, it is a far superior sports car. Vastly more importantly it is more fun to drive!

Yes I am a Pcar fanboy before someone points that out but the analogy[above] applies here.
r_rated is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to r_rated For This Useful Post:
leets4uc3 (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:11 PM   #40
perryair
junior mafia

Drives: ‘20 sti limited
for the 8 to 10k in price difference between a brz and an sti, you could get the brz and a slightly used civic or something akin to that for a dd.
Somerandom18 (06-09-2017)
Old 06-09-2017, 07:17 PM   #41
Twinz

Drives: 2016 FR-S MT, 2015 Scion FR-S AT,
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Just drove an STI on our test and tune course last weekend after doing a few runs in my FRS. The STI's balance was actually pretty good but it felt like school bus when I took it through the slalom and it seemed to "wallow" a bit before taking a set for the sweepers.

Compared to the FRS it feels powerful but big and heavy. I prefer my FRS.
Twinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 03:46 AM   #42
Tcoat

Drives: 2020 Hakone
Thanked 108,283 Times in 46,456 Posts
Mentioned: 2495 Post(s)
Tagged: 50 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
Just drove an STI on our test and tune course last weekend after doing a few runs in my FRS. The STI's balance was actually pretty good but it felt like school bus when I took it through the slalom and it seemed to "wallow" a bit before taking a set for the sweepers.

Compared to the FRS it feels powerful but big and heavy. I prefer my FRS.
We recently bought the 17 Impreza hatch for my wife. She got the full sport package. Rest assured that when they transfer the STi over to that platform the school bus feel will go away. They stole the steering straight out of the BRZ, firmed the whole thing up, gave it torque vectoring and have overall just designed a great base to work on. I predict that the WRX/STi on that platform will blow the competition (as little as there is) right out of the water. It will truly be a car to watch.
Cole (06-10-2017), xuimod (07-14-2017)