follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Speed By Design
Register Garage Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing

Suspension | Chassis | Brakes -- Sponsored by 949 Racing Relating to suspension, chassis, and brakes. Sponsored by 949 Racing.

User Tag List

Old 03-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #71
CounterSpace Garage

Drives: Subaru BRZ / Toyota 86 Experts
Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Tagged: 3 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
How can you quantify the quality of valving? Shock dynos?
Shock dynos certainly do quantify the performance of the shock very well, but it's not absolutely everything. There are some internal intricacies that are specific to each manufacturer that make the shock perform according to their target market, performance goals, tuning philosophies, and price point. Suspension is a black art. Everybody has their own method of tackling the same issue. That's why valving is where the magic lies.

I am fairly interested in a comparison test and it's not hard to get all the contenders in the same place especially at the FT86 Cup.
CounterSpace Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #72
Huehuecoyotl
Banned

Drives: Perrin/VORTECH Supercharger TestBRZ
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
I thought the src normally came without springs? Regardless I assumed spring rates would be equal so you could truly compare just the stock damper itself. ie make everything else equal.
I here by nominate you as the coilover test co-ordinator!
Huehuecoyotl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #73
Jackson

Drives: E46 M3 (daily) / EG Civic (track)
Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave-ROR View Post
lol obviously everyone will need springs

My point was the rates should be equal for any test if we really want to isolate the comparison solely to the damper itself. Let the same user setup both to their preferences.
I agree. Same car, same rates, same driver, same tires, same brakes, etc. It should be apples to apples for a true comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianlo622 View Post
Mid March is when the product will be on the shelves correct? (assuming these are not built to order)
We should have these on our shelf as stock. However, we do have pre-orders piling up.
Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:56 PM   #74
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Can someone wake me up in 2 weeks?
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 AM   #75
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
IMO, for a true apples to apples comparison, the ONLY difference should be the suspension.

Coilovers work as a system, so the springs can be whatever the coilovers come with. Just how SRCs wouldn't be properly valved for the R2's spring rates, the R2 wouldn't be properly valved for the SRC's spring rates.

You wouldn't force a vette to put on elise sized tires to get an apples to apples comparison of the two cars, would you? You'd probably equalize the tire compounds, and leave the sizes alone.
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CSG Mike For This Useful Post:
ayau (03-07-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 01:19 AM   #76
RYU

Drives: really slow...
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
The fact is... given our circumstances it's very difficult to find two random forum members where the only difference in setup is the suspension (i.e apples to apples). I'd be satisfied hearing the cumulative, smart, and educated opinions from either Mike, Dave, and Jackson.

@Jackson - Any rough idea what has been the sales split between the R2s and R1s? Is like a 2 to 1 ratio or 1 to 1 or maybe something like 5 to 1 quantities ordered for R2s vs. R1s?

btw...I ended up ordering the R1s even though I really wanted the SRCs (budget limited). I did consider the R2s but at the end of the day I simply didn't feel I could use the added benefit for my limited uses for this car. All three seem to be quality units. I'm willing to offer up my 100% stock car (except for tires and suspension) for this "comparo". I've got a 6AT and only the R1s so off the bat it'll be slower but if the reviewer can articulate well enough the limitations/benefits it would still make for a useful discussion.
RYU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #77
ayau

Drives: Some rust bucket
Thanked 1,045 Times in 556 Posts
Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYU View Post
The fact is... given our circumstances it's very difficult to find two random forum members where the only difference in setup is the suspension (i.e apples to apples). I'd be satisfied hearing the cumulative, smart, and educated opinions from either Mike, Dave, and Jackson.

@Jackson - Any rough idea what has been the sales split between the R2s and R1s? Is like a 2 to 1 ratio or 1 to 1 or maybe something like 5 to 1 quantities ordered for R2s vs. R1s?

btw...I ended up ordering the R1s even though I really wanted the SRCs (budget limited). I did consider the R2s but at the end of the day I simply didn't feel I could use the added benefit for my limited uses for this car. All three seem to be quality units.
I got the R2 because I didn't want to regret not getting them.
ayau is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ayau For This Useful Post:
JackSmiley (04-16-2013)
Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 AM   #78
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayau View Post
I got the R2 because I didn't want to regret not getting them.
I don't blame you. I have the same mentality with my NSX. Not buying these awesome parts for my BRZ is a huge exercise in self control.
Old 03-07-2013, 08:36 AM   #79
swift996

Drives: Subaru BRZ Limited 6MT
Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Yeah the R1s look like a great system and probably would have been enough for me. However, I went with the R2s in case there is enough of a performance margin.

swift996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:35 AM   #80
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
I've got a 6AT and only the R1s so off the bat it'll be slower but if the reviewer can articulate well enough the limitations/benefits it would still make for a useful discussion.
That's an extra ~100lbs weight on the car, not to mention the different ratios or anything else. Not the best car to compare to IMO, sorry.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #81
CSG Mike

Drives: S2000 CR
Thanked 14,177 Times in 6,835 Posts
Mentioned: 966 Post(s)
Tagged: 14 Thread(s)
If anything, the automatics outnumber the manuals... :p
CSG Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:51 AM   #82
RYU

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrbitalEllipses View Post
That's an extra ~100lbs weight on the car, not to mention the different ratios or anything else. Not the best car to compare to IMO, sorry.
Well... yes, obviously. Yet we don't see many volunteers so I stepped up and attempted to provide a compromise so we can continue to move forward with this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
If anything, the automatics outnumber the manuals... :p
At this rate we'll end up with a 6AT guy on SRCs vs. a 6AT guy on R2s! haha
Old 03-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #83
Jackson

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSG Mike View Post
IMO, for a true apples to apples comparison, the ONLY difference should be the suspension.

Coilovers work as a system, so the springs can be whatever the coilovers come with. Just how SRCs wouldn't be properly valved for the R2's spring rates, the R2 wouldn't be properly valved for the SRC's spring rates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CounterSpace Garage View Post
Suspension is a black art. Everybody has their own method of tackling the same issue. That's why valving is where the magic lies.
The Eibach Multi Pro R2 coilovers are sold without springs. Just like the SRC can handle a wide range of rates, so can the R2s.

Eibach's philosophy has always been to improve performance while maintaining a streetable ride quality. I realize our rates are never going to be aggressive with our off-the-shelf kits. That's just how our engineers package the kits. Because of this I've set up pricing to sell the R2 shocks and springs separately so consumers can package their kits with what they want based on tires, brakes, aero, varying tracks, etc.

An actual shock/valving comparison would be ideal so the tester(s) can actually feel the difference in valving and adjustments. Since this is "where the magic lies" this is what I suggest. But that's just my two cents.

At the end of the day people are going to buy what they like. Some people may prefer green camber plates over red. And some people are going make anything they put on their car fast whether it's a one way or a triple way coilover.
Old 03-07-2013, 11:14 AM   #84
Jackson

Garage
Quote:
It's hard to gauge this since both kits technically are not released. We have orders for both. I feel the R1 kit will probably end up selling more than the R2 just based on the price point and ease of use for the consumer.