follow ft86club on our blog, twitter or facebook.
FT86CLUB
Ft86Club
Delicious Tuning
Register Garage Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   Toyota GR86, 86, FR-S and Subaru BRZ Forum & Owners Community - FT86CLUB > Technical Topics > Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB

Issues | Warranty | Recalls / TSB Problems, issues, recalls, TSBs

User Tag List

Old 08-07-2012, 08:20 PM   #631
siXXtoes
Ohh Snap

Drives: Argento FR-S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrashwa View Post
Exact same code and symptoms I had last night with only 400 miles on it. Have you gotten any updates?
As of now, it is still at the dealership waiting on a replacement sensor from Japan. They are going to replace it and see if it was just the part, or if something else was the cause

Take it in right away. The more Toyota knows about the issue the faster it can be figured out. The only shitty part is not having my car!!

Last edited by siXXtoes; 08-07-2012 at 08:47 PM.
siXXtoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #632
OrbitalEllipses
Banned

Drives: Attitude
Thanked 4,889 Times in 2,902 Posts
Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by siXXtoes View Post
i had the idle dip today and the CEL came on. I ran the code. P0017- cam shaft sensor. I did notice the chirping got louder and more frequent right before the idle dip.

off to the dealership
Cam shaft sensor codes seem to be a common problem reported on this forum in regards to the idle dip.

I've never seen an OEM "feature" of idle hunting. It always indicates a problem, whether it be a vacuum leak or something like this cam shaft sensor problem. When they A/C compressor kicks in? Sure you might see a dip; hunting like this is beyond being a normal function like that though.
OrbitalEllipses is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to OrbitalEllipses For This Useful Post:
Marrk (08-07-2012)
Old 08-07-2012, 10:30 PM   #633
brianbot5000

Drives: White WRX Hatchback, Toyota Pickup
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Note to self: Stop reading this area of the forums. No problems at all on my car, but this section is making me paranoid.
brianbot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brianbot5000 For This Useful Post:
civicdrivr (08-08-2012), davisk6 (08-27-2012), FRSjeff (08-08-2012), Lonewolf (08-08-2012), Marrk (08-08-2012)
Old 08-08-2012, 05:02 AM   #634
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
I got the P28261 which is "your shit is gonna explode and kill you via fire" im getting stressed personally, and the crickets are getting worried too!! Toyota please save me!
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 AM   #635
brianbot5000

Drives: White WRX Hatchback, Toyota Pickup
Well, it's a self-fulfilling prophecy I guess... Literally the day after I made the post above about being paranoid, I had the idle dip occur, and say what you will I know it simply wasn't a matter of being paranoid. Based on what I saw/heard, and what I've read in various threads here, I think the chirping and dip are related. Here's what happened in my case:

- Took an evening drive to the store, took the scenic route...maybe 10 miles in total each way, but that included a brief jaunt on the freeway and a couple spirited back roads. Nothing crazy, as I'm still under the break-in mileage and so I'm staying below 4-4.5k.

- As a result of the drive, engine was warmed up - more so than it gets during my typical commute.

- As I'm easing into my garage, I have the window down, and I notice the crickets are louder than usual. The difference was noticeable.

- Decide I'll sit there a minute and let her idle. Something just didn't seem right...you start to learn what your car's "normal" sound and feel is, and this wasn't it. Idle was stable, but then out of the blue it drops, then picks back up...starts to drop again and so I shut it down.

I've heard other reports of the crickets being unusually louder before the idle drop, and it seems that the trend is for the idle drop to occur when the car has been driven awhile and engine temps are nice and warm. No CEL, and honestly I'm hoping I don't have one long enough for a fix to be released by Subaru. I'm a little worried about driving too much in the meantime, in case this is causing some other engine damage.

Issue stressed me out a bit so I drove my truck to work the next day. But drove the BRZ to work and back today with no issues, aside from the usual crickets. I think if your trips are short, you are not likely to experience this issue.
brianbot5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #636
driftartist
Kurenai Samurai

Drives: Red and manual
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
When i cried during the cars chirping, the magic from my tears that hit the car broke the curse and things were fixed like a disney movie (im totally just trying to be funny not being a **** at all i just had that mental scenario in my head and couldnt stop laughing)
driftartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:42 PM   #637
goincarcrazy
Future FR-S Owner

Drives: '05 Scion tC
I'll let it be known, I don't own an FR-S yet, but it sounds like Toyota did the programming for the ECU. I had to change the battery in my Gen1 tC and when I started it back up again, it wanted to idle at 200-300rpm right on the brink of stalling and made the worst shaking for about 5 minutes as the RPMs slowwwwly creeped up to where it found it ran the best (normal idle). The ECU basically had to reprogram itself.

Do you think leaving the battery unhooked and making the ECU figure itself out again would help this issue at all? From reading the symptoms, it definitely sounds like something ECU related (as many have said) and a new tune might be required, but I'm wondering if relearning itself could help until a fixed program comes out.
goincarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #638
civicdrivr

Drives: 2018 Golf R
Thanked 1,095 Times in 647 Posts
Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 7 Thread(s)
The idle dip happened twice today, at the same light. Its about 85* out, the a/c was on and I had my foot on the brake. The idle dropped to ~500 rpms, kicked back up, then back down again. Finally it leveled off.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #639
sbxjap

Drives: '95 Honda Civic HB/'13 Subaru BRZ
Garage
sorry if someone already posted about this, but so much on idling issues, I couldn't find exact issue...

I only noticed it yesterday since I rarely sit at idle long. When at idle for about 20 mins, the car kinda does a kick/jerk. The rpm's don't drop though... I'm thinking AC compressor.

I'll check when I have a chance, but I wanted some quick opinions, lol... lazy, I know.
sbxjap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #640
Hotlava86

Drives: 2013 Hot lava Fr-s, 2007 Mazda 3
I didn't really wanna sift through 30 pages of this to find if anyone else had stated this however, the RPM dip seems to be an Issue in the stock tune of the ECU and Toyota plans on addressing this soon with a Flash update to the ECU. Thats possibility #1. Possibility #2 is possibly related to and caused by #1 but it's the VVTI actuator that controls the advancing and retarding of the timing causing the engine to lose its place while idling. This is a major issue that Toyota has noted now and will more than likely become a recall soon. Based on this issue happening to my friend locally to the point where his threw a CEL and the dealership had to rebuild his engine due to this VVTI actuator being faulty. They related the problem straight to the rev dipping issue that they narrowed down to a faulty timing actuator. Just a heads up for you guys.

Kansas City FR-S/BRZ Facebook group. https://www.facebook.com/groups/452909128083343/

Hotlava86's Build thread!http://www.ft86club.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14152
Hotlava86 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hotlava86 For This Useful Post:
cobrabyte (08-12-2012), tintumz22 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 06:02 PM   #641
FR-YES

Drives: FR-S, Firestorm, AT
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6hg0Sejr8Q"]Scion FRS Idle dip - YouTube[/ame]

This is a video from a couple days ago and is usually what happens with mine in the mornings. It was really hot in la yesterday and was driving around a lot with the ac at 2. My car started doing some funny idling and I was getting some heavier shakes. I didn't like it and this can't be normal. I hope there is a fix soon.
FR-YES is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FR-YES For This Useful Post:
tintumz22 (08-12-2012)
Old 08-12-2012, 09:13 PM   #642
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruskymx View Post
Here's a video I took of my idle dip.

I noticed that it happened fairly consistently on the way into work and when I came to a stop at a red light coming into work. I decided to see if I can catch it on video. Well, I did. I'm going to show the video to my service department tomorrow and see what they say. I'll see if I can get a technician to drive with me tomorrow while I'm at work.

Ruskymx
Interesting, mine gets another 200rpm or so higher when it does it. Same issue though.

It did it today and I looked at the numbers on ScanGauge. IGN (ignition timing) usually ranges from 11-17 at idle (once warmed up fully). Cold starts usually have it as a negative value from -14 to -4 and eventually positive. From what I have read, negative is retard and positive is advance timing. When it does the idle jump to ~1000, IGN shows it in the single digits around 5-7, so it's SLIGHTLY advanced by not nearly as much as normal.

My intake air temp was showing 124*F, which is a good 10-20 degrees warmer than it has been the last few days. Most people who have brought this issue up have also mentioned them being in hot weather, so I am fairly sure it has to do with ambient temperature (and thus intake air temp).

I don't think I have ever seen it do this when the car isn't warmed up, it just idles higher until then. It is normal for it to idle high on a cold start and suddenly drop (port injectors stop assisting once it gets past initial cold start).
Old 08-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #643
ruskymx

Drives: 13 HotLava FRS, 93 4Runner, 97 Taco
Quote:
Originally Posted by eriktherod View Post
Interesting, mine gets another 200rpm or so higher when it does it. Same issue though.

It did it today and I looked at the numbers on ScanGauge. IGN (ignition timing) usually ranges from 11-17 at idle (once warmed up fully). Cold starts usually have it as a negative value from -14 to -4 and eventually positive. From what I have read, negative is retard and positive is advance timing. When it does the idle jump to ~1000, IGN shows it in the single digits around 5-7, so it's SLIGHTLY advanced by not nearly as much as normal.

My intake air temp was showing 124*F, which is a good 10-20 degrees warmer than it has been the last few days. Most people who have brought this issue up have also mentioned them being in hot weather, so I am fairly sure it has to do with ambient temperature (and thus intake air temp).

I don't think I have ever seen it do this when the car isn't warmed up, it just idles higher until then. It is normal for it to idle high on a cold start and suddenly drop (port injectors stop assisting once it gets past initial cold start).
I've had Visconti's STG1 v2 Tune on my car for the last 7-10 days and my idle dip is gone. His tune corrects it. I bought the DashCommand app for my phone/iPad so I can monitor the info that you mentioned. I wish i would've had the app prior to the tune so I could have "baseline" data to compare to. I'm going to eventually get the ECUTek kit off of him, but just need to get the funds together. I will then be able to flash back to stock and get data and then reflash the STG1 and compare.

Ruskymx
ruskymx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 09:35 PM   #644
eriktherod

Drives: 2013 Scion FR-S Firestorm Red MT
Garage
My theory is that when tuning the ECU, Toyota accurately mapped a temperature range for Japan (we'll say <86*F). So with a common heat soak of +10-15*F on the intake air, they have it mapped properly for <100*F and I don't think I've seen it happen on temperatures that 'low'. However, once you start getting into the higher temperatures, the ignition timing retards back more and reaches a point where the ECU can't hold the rpms as steady at idle so it just does this balancing act instead.

If this is true, then it's just a matter of Toyota/Subaru playing with those mapped values to alleviate it. It could be that they knew about it, felt it wasn't a major (problematic) issue and can fix it once the car is out.

I'd love to hear how you guys in extreme heat (TX/AZ) have been with the car at idle.